Traditional NC Pork Shoulder w/ fixins

aawa

Babbling Farker
Went to the store and found that picnics and butts were on sale for $1.78/lb so I decided to pick me up one of each and invite friends over for some good eatin.

First things first, had to get the picnic and butt trimmed and fatty ready to go. I scored the skin on the picnic to help with the rendering.
KulRMvc.jpg

Got my UDS cruising at about 325 with some hickory wood and put the meat on. Picnic and Butt nekkid and the fatty rubbed up with Plowboys Yardbird. After and hour and a half, I poured a nice healthy layer of kosher salt on the shoulder. I also took the fatty off and diced it up for some Wampus Beans. That time I used making some Prized Pig Pickles.
Y7sg3FR.jpg

LQP5vjw.jpg

t6nWhnF.jpg

After about 4 hours this is what the shoulder looked like.
bgTBCVD.jpg

hdeI6A4.jpg

6 hours in they still had a little bit to go, so I put the beans under them and let them finish up.
dxJoE7M.jpg

gRxplJy.jpg

At 6.5hours in they were finished and I wrapped them in foil and into the cambro. I finished up making the sides. Smoked mac and cheese, coleslaw, Wampus Beans.

Since I was doing traditional nc pork shoulder, I pulled out the big globs of fat and chopped the picnic and butt together. I left the salt bark on the shoulder and butt while chopping and added my carolina finishing sauce (acv, turbinado sugar, salt, crushed red pepper) that had been sitting in a jar for about 2 months. Some action shots of messing with the picnic.
QtGwgJ9.jpg

uLnT1O0.jpg

ySFYdz0.jpg

Rwt2Mvj.jpg

LQybn1e.jpg

And here is the spread I put out.
RQLrRtA.jpg

Chopped pork
rlFWNd4.jpg

VHUHWSl.jpg

Wampus Beans
xzDHZQx.jpg

Coleslaw
w7F3fMI.jpg

Smoked Mac and Cheese (I used some colby jack and sharp cheddar)
7TFvSgj.jpg

And my plate of heart attack waiting to happen.
RwJo1bG.jpg

The salt bark chopped into the pork along with my finishing sauce made for the perfect seasoning of meat. It was perfectly balanced with salt, vinegar twang and mild heat.

I have a question, with that much salt does it give the finished chopped pork an overly salty taste? I have always been scared to over salt my pork while cooking.

I have a question, with that much salt does it give the finished chopped pork an overly salty taste? I have always been scared to over salt my pork while cooking.

It wasn't an issue at all. If the only "rub" you have is the salt bark, there is plenty of meat to counter act the saltiness. You just have to make sure your finishing sauce isn't super salty.

Looks great! I have made Wampus beans a few times and they are hard to beat.

I don't like baked beans, but I like Wampus Beans. If I make beans they will be Wampus ones lol.

It all looks great! Nice work!

Thanks for the kind words.

Fantastic! :clap: :clap:

It was dericious!

Way to do it right! Looks Awesome!

Thanks buddy. I wanted to do something a little bit different and it turned out pretty dang good.

Looks like great eatin! Comfort food for sure. Nice cook!

This was the same meal I was introduced to bbq when I first moved to SE Virginia. Pulled pork, baked beans, coleslaw, and mac and cheese. I like to throw it back to those days of the past.

Nice cook man, that looks great

Thanks fellow azn!

Looks real good!

It tasted better than it looked. :D

Wow that looks amazing... Never seen the "salt bark" before. Is that a traditional NC thing?

The salt bark is a Traditional NC thing. This was the first time doing it this way as opposed to using a rub.

Put those leftovers in your cambro and head north about 1.5hrs. I will buy the beer.(great traditional style cook)

Later,
Doug

Back