Thinking about a Kamado style ceramic grill

Primo XL owner here. It's a beautiful set-up. I think I'm going on 12+ years and haven't had any issues at all. I got it (over other ceramics) because of the shape and clearance (for bread). I can also adjust the grates independently so they are half indirect and half grilling. I also can adjust the amount of smoke I want. Temp control is very good and can keep it as low as ~150* if I'm warm smoking. Longest cook I had was about 27 hours on one load of charcoal in the middle of winter in the teens. The first few times the temps did get away from me, but once I learned to set a timer to 10 minutes when I used the chimney making the fire (instead of relying on my faulty memory) I haven't had an issue. It is well insulated.

I've got a new in the box Primo XL for sale, and I'm having a hard time getting a offer over $500. If it was used, I'd have to give it away.

Good to see back around these parts Andrew. :becky:

Having had a ceramic kamado, if I were to go back to "kamado" style like you mentioned, I'd do the Weber Summit Charcoal, Goldens' cast iron kamado or Broil King Keg Kamado.

Really dig Goldens and lunchman (Dom) on here has a ton of posts using his.

Good luck!!

Thanks, Sako. I was going to chime in but since the OP had mentioned ceramics I figured a Golden's Cast Iron was out of the question. But if you're looking for something non ceramic, you might consider the Golden's. I've had mine now for three years and as Sako mentioned I post a lot of my cooks here. It's a beast and was the best investment I've made in my backyard arsenal.

There's a YouTube channel I came across a few days ago, Ballistic BBQ which did a review on a Golden's he just bought.

-Dom

I have the Pit Boss K22 which is their smaller kamado. The only problems I have with it are 1) I think it's too small (if I had it to do over, I'd have bought the K24 which is the larger model), and 2) Dansons (the parent company) doesn't do much to support or promote their kamados; their focus is on the 50 different versions of pellet smokers they sell. It's a little difficult finding aftermarket items for the K22 because of it's size. I will say, it has produced some of the BBQ I've ever had.

I had a Vision B, and it was a solid cooker. Also had a small BGE, and the Vision was as every bit as good as a BGE. If I were in the market for a Kamado again and budget wasn't an issue, I'd be looking at the Kamado Joe, and possibly the Primo. Otherwise, you'd be in great shape with a Vision.

For whatever it's worth, the reason I transitioned away from ceramics and sold both of mine, plus my BPS drum was getting an offset, which was a game changer. The taste difference between meat smoked in an offset vs a kamado or drum cooker is significant. I could go on an on about this, and this thread would veer of course, so I'll stop there.

What I liked about cooking on ceramics more than anything else was their solid temp control and fuel efficiency. One you learn how to get the temp you want dialed in, they're steady as can be, and can go for a LONG time without ever having to refuel. I also found them just plain fun to cook on. Truly an outdoor oven if there ever was one.

Hey guys, I've become a little bored with my current setup and I'm thinking about making some changes. One change I'm considering is buying a ceramic grill.

Before anyone suggests a Char-Griller Akorn, I have owned one in the past and wasn't happy with it for primarily three reasons. 1. It was hard to maintain a lower than about 300* temperature. 2. It took about 10 sec with the lid up to sky rocket the temp and then it was hell to get it back down. 3. When trying to get a good wood smoked flavor it was too efficient to get the wood chunks going enough to really taste that flavor I can get from a Kettle or my PBC.

What Ive read about the ceramics makes me believe I wouldn't have the same problems with temperature like I did with the Akorn. But what about smoking on it? It wouldn't be my primary smoker but if I wanted to do a small smoke cook, would I get a good wood smoked flavor or will the flavor I get be more along the lines of what I experienced with the Akorn?

I did like the Akorns ability to grill and hit really high temps for searing and cooking pizzas and again I know the ceramics will do the same.

Also what's your thoughts on a brand, primarily the Vision? I don't want to spend a ton of money and if I bought new the Vision is probably the only one I'd seriously consider. From what Ive read the cooking grate on the Vision is 20" compared to most of the "large" cookers like the Green Egg with a 18" grate. Is Vision a good product or would I be better off spending around the same money for a used Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, Etc.?

Any advice and/or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to solve or what gap are you trying to fill?

Seems like the PBC and ceramic would overlap, but I have very limited experience with the PBC.

A ceramic will solve some of those issues, but you might still have issues holding under 300. The regular kamado joe is fine, but my big joe wanted to run north of 300 so you need a bbq guru.

What do you think the ceramic will do that the PBC won't?

Out of curiosity, what problem are you trying to solve or what gap are you trying to fill?

Seems like the PBC and ceramic would overlap, but I have very limited experience with the PBC.

A ceramic will solve some of those issues, but you might still have issues holding under 300. The regular kamado joe is fine, but my big joe wanted to run north of 300 so you need a bbq guru.

What do you think the ceramic will do that the PBC won't?
My opinion would be that the PBC and a kamado style cooker can cook the same foods and do them very well. The difference however, would be flavor profile. My PBC and drum cookers put out that "authentic" pit flavor. My summit and kamado Joe are very good, but it is different.

If versatility is in the argument, then the kamado would defibately win. Its not the best at any one thing, but it can literally do everything very very good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've got a new in the box Primo XL for sale, and I'm having a hard time getting a offer over $500. If it was used, I'd have to give it away.

I’d take it off your hands if I were near you just to to have a brand new version of of one of my all time favorite cookers.

My opinion would be that the PBC and a kamado style cooker can cook the same foods and do them very well. The difference however, would be flavor profile. My PBC and drum cookers put out that "authentic" pit flavor. My summit and kamado Joe are very good, but it is different.

If versatility is in the argument, then the kamado would defibately win. Its not the best at any one thing, but it can literally do everything very very good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Interesting I agree with a lot of this post but Yet I’m the opposite side of the coin. Except can y’all high heat sear and grill with your PBC?

I would highly recommend the Primo Xl. Easily one of my favorite cookers. If I could only keep one it very well may be this one....Love the versatility. High heat grilling, searing or pizza second to none. Low and slow overnight? No problem. Just don’t put too large of wood chunks to avoid the stale smoke.

That’s amazing. I sold mine (8 years old) for like $800 I think it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back