THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
For those of you who have had the 3 bone thick pork chop at Perry's Steak House .... how do they cook that ? They claim roasted for 8 hours but I'm not sure. The meat is just shy of pull apart like pulled pork. Juicy ... delicious. All the copycats don't quite make it. You can tell when they cut into it that the meat is not as tender and is more solid than pull apart. They serve a lot of them ... that's why I doubt the 8hr cook ... any tips ? Anyone able to duplicate it ?

Mike, this 3 bone pork chop sounds delicious. If you look at this video around the 34 second mark, the chef from Perry's claims that the pork is "slow smoked, roasted, and caramelized for about 46 hours."

https://perryssteakhouse.com/perrys...gives-the-details-on-the-signature-pork-chop/

That's pretty vague, and to be expected from a corporate spokesperson.

There's no way that chop is cooked for 46 hours, so we can cross that off the list. I would imagine it is probably brined, however. So that's probably a good place to start. The rest is easy to reverse engineer, I think.

You say the meat is very tender, just shy of pulled pork. Can you give more details? Would you describe it as fork tender? I see there's a Perry's in Franklin, about an hour's drive from here, so sounds like we need to go there to sample this dish and see how good it really is.

I never had Perry's so I'm certainly no expert or maybe even qualified to comment but...

I see it listed as brined, if that is indeed true I would make that relatively quick so as to not create cured/ham type texture which is not normally described as pull apart. I might just dry brine for 1 hour.

If I were preparing it, I would smoke at 200-225 up to 130 and then sear the outside. That wouldn’t exactly give you the pull apart texture though. You could experiment going up to ~190-195 but in that case I would be sure to find well marbled chops with a generous fat cap intact. A wrap might also help in 160-190 range.

I can’t wait to find out others’ opinions and methods and if you try this. I might have to as well!

Mike, this 3 bone pork chop sounds delicious. If you look at this video around the 34 second mark, the chef from Perry's claims that the pork is "slow smoked, roasted, and caramelized for about 46 hours."

https://perryssteakhouse.com/perrys...gives-the-details-on-the-signature-pork-chop/

That's pretty vague, and to be expected from a corporate spokesperson.

There's no way that chop is cooked for 46 hours, so we can cross that off the list. I would imagine it is probably brined, however. So that's probably a good place to start. The rest is easy to reverse engineer, I think.

You say the meat is very tender, just shy of pulled pork. Can you give more details? Would you describe it as fork tender? I see there's a Perry's in Franklin, about an hour's drive from here, so sounds like we need to go there to sample this dish and see how good it really is.

Generous fat cap and fork tender. I thought it was really good and I'm always shy of ordering pork chops but everyone raves about this one ... so I tried it and it was was delicious.

If it's the same Perry's this chop is on the lunch menu and fairly inexpensive for what it is... I think $17.00 .... sides are extra. Do it and let me know.

I never had Perry's so I'm certainly no expert or maybe even qualified to comment but...

I see it listed as brined, if that is indeed true I would make that relatively quick so as to not create cured/ham type texture which is not normally described as pull apart. I might just dry brine for 1 hour.

If I were preparing it, I would smoke at 200-225 up to 130 and then sear the outside. That wouldn’t exactly give you the pull apart texture though. You could experiment going up to ~190-195 but in that case I would be sure to find well marbled chops with a generous fat cap intact. A wrap might also help in 160-190 range.

I can’t wait to find out others’ opinions and methods and if you try this. I might have to as well!

Yes, there was a generous fat cap .... and the sear or baste was a bit sweet and balsamicky. Fork pull apart !!!

I'm not sure where Perry's Steak House is, or what their chop is like, but there used to be a restaurant in Michigan that had a great 1 lb. chop. Maybe parts of their recipe would be helpful?

http://www.thebbqguru.net/the-embers-pork-chop/

If not, I have made this recipe a few times and it comes out great!

That does look amazing. Might try this with a chop bone roast I have. Thank you.

Another factor to consider would be the quality of meat Perry's is using. I've had some rather disappointing bone-in pork loin roasts, yet on he other hand, some pretty stellar bone in loin chops that were off the charts.

I would suspect Perry's is using top-notch pork that is well marbled throughout.

If the claim of cooking for 46 hours is to be believed, then they are almost certainly doing some portion of that in a water bath or combi oven. These types of "sous vide" preparations can get really tender results for basically any piece of meat.

No idea if this is actually part of the technique the OP is searching out, but it would be the only option. If it really is cooking for 46 hours.

Not sure if this helps:

The meat is cured with a proprietary sweet-hot rub and rotisserie-cooked for 6-8 hours while perfumed by pecan-wood smoke. Upon order, the chef seasons the bronzed pork again and coats it in sugar before torching the exterior. It is served on a sizzling plate in a pool of house-made herb-garlic butter and slathered with more compound butter and a garnish of a lime slice.

https://www.al.com/bhammag/2016/07/why_perrys_steakhouse_is_famou.html

Here's another one, originally thought it was for Perry's, but looks like a different restaurant though, Houston's.

It is brined first. I would just find a standard prok brine. The only ingredient that I remember as being different from a regular brine is juniper berries. After that they were cooked in an Alto Sham at around 250-275 degrees(play with temp) to medium rare, internal temp at 125 or so. From there, cool. They were cut to serve at the grill station from a chilled state, then seared/heated through on the grill. I don't think the seasoning was anything more than kosher salt and cafe grind pepper, 50/50. As for finishing it off, a liberal amount of melted butter will get you where you need to be. I really think the brine/slow cooking is why this product is extremely moist. By chilling and resting, then slicing to sear, you retain all juices that would otherwise seep out if handling hot. Method over flavor profile is the key.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856336/houstons-pork-chop-recipe

Last edited:

Sounds to me like he is saying 4 TO 6 hours, not 46 hours. Big difference;...\
four to six hours makes a lot more sense.

None of these explanations account for a pull type meat, at all. This is loin. You treat it wrong and it will be dry way before pull apart tender. Only way to get there is the SV then sear for flavor.

I agree the part that is confusing is this is loin, so achieving moist and "pull apart tender" at the same time would be a big feat.

I've heard of lots of methods of smoking to around 125 and then cooling, vaccum sealing and cooking SV for 24-36 hours to achieve that sort of result. But that is with pork shoulder or belly, chuck roast, duck legs, etc. All tough cuts with a lot of fat to make everything moist. Basically it is a smoked /confit method.

I would be interested in the results of a long SV. I wondering if it will be more 'mushy' than 'pullable'. I was also thinking about whether they might use a phosphate based injection as their cure.

Back