In progress…Fabled 3 Bone Pork Chop (Perry’s)

I'm guessing it's cooked low to temp and then hot held until the order is placed and then glazed and seared to finish. Only way I can see a large chunk like that ready for service all day long

Now the only question is are the cooking to 140-150 and held or cooked north of 180 before holding

Yup! I agree, that is the question.
I’m thinking 175F, cooked around 200F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0WEFhV5.jpg

"A recipe perfected over four decades, our chop is rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings, cured, roasted, slow smoked, caramelized, finished in the oven and topped with Perry's herb-garlic butter, and carved tableside during dinner service each evening. Enjoy our seven-finger-high chop seven days a week!"

Let's take a closer look at the prep and cooking process Perry's marketing department concocted to impress the masses and perhaps even confuse folks like us who might try to figure it out:

1. Rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings
2. Cured
3. Roasted
4. Slow smoked
5. Carmelized
6. Finished in the oven

The rub part is easy, no mystery there.

Since no one seems to describe a "hammy" taste from the chop, I think we can cross off an actual cure, though it's possible the chop is brined, which could account for how juicy and even tender it is. But, it is most likely NOT cured.

Steps 3-6 don't really make sense from a sequential standpoint. I would suggest the meat is smoked at a medium to high temp(roasted), then finished in a hot oven to brown and "caramelize" the roast, which is why it has such a nice color. In other words, the meat is smoked during step 1 of a reverse sear, then exposed to high heat just before serving, step 2 of the reverse sear.

So, steps 3 & 4 could be one in the same, as steps 5 and 6 may be one and the same.

So, as it relates to the actual cooking process, now we really only have:

1. Meat is smoked at a moderate or high temp(275-325)

2. Meat is caramelized by finishing in a hot oven

All of the fancy mumbo jumbo they are using to describe this magical and alchemical process doesn't make sense for a restaurant product like this. Sans the seasoning part, a reverse sear makes complete sense, however.

There should be a footnote: A aforementioned is in no particular order and is no way intended to reveal out secrets :blabla:

Ok, so I have been reading Mike's post as well. Not sure why but, it didn't hit me until now. This is going local and from the past. College days at Central Michigan University a high end restaurant The Ember's (closed now). My parents came up for my 21st and took me there. A coworker of Dad's told him he HAD TO try the 1lb bbq pork chop. This sounds similar. Dad did get it but, I got prime rib which was excellent however after a taste of his I realized I made a mistake. I thought they gave up their secrets and the recipe is online. Once I get some free time I will search and post. Good luck all and looking good John

And the results after 6 hours…..

Not what Perry’s does, I’m sure, but it’s tasty.

I used a bourbon maple glaze and instead of the oven, seared on the SM fire pit

209e4d4464257d5239057617370b89b4.jpg

With Herb garlic butter

3b9aca1c762539ffaf40375377088b51.jpg

6d1fe2ee5b13a0a3e619957940086a28.jpg

Results?
Little drier than normal, but tasty!

If they are going 6 hours, they cold smoke theirs, as I went as low as one should go on a hot smoke (hit 140F right at 4 hours). It was 170F when I rested it. (Normally I pull at 140F)

Back