THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I was wrong on heat up times of other pellets. Mak got up to grilling temp 450 deg in 19 minutes with apple pellets. Not any different than oak unless I was doing the oak test in colder weather.

That’s quick. 19 mins to 450 is summer heat up times for me. Probably a little over 20... closer to 25 mins when it’s really cold outside. But still not bad at all.

That’s quick. 19 mins to 450 is summer heat up times for me. Probably a little over 20... closer to 25 mins when it’s really cold outside. But still not bad at all.

Time it next time you get the chance. It heats up quicker than you think. I was surprised how well it did the past 2-3 times I’ve cranked it up. If you can’t duplicate it it might have to with how I don’t have a cold smoking chamber. I’m not sure if that plays a role. Another possibility is aluminized steel has better heat refraction than stainless.

My 640 sits outside even though it is under a covered patio. I normally keep the cover over it when not in use and I have not seen any sign of rust (yet). This is a 12/18 build with new style cover.

I really try not to drip anything down the front which I know will cause premature paint/rust issues. After every cook i use a citrus based cleaner and wipe the outside before putting the cover on. Its a new cooker so I dont expect any paint issues for some time but nonetheless I do expect them. If it gets bad enough or constant enough, i will just pull it off the comp cart and have it done to the 9's. This is a solid cooker and one that could last a lifetime if taken care of.

For the pellets, I've only used LJ Comp Blend (after getting through the pellets sent with cooker). I like them. Good even burn, very low ash buildup, and nice flavor.

I look forward to when I have my grill out under a covered patio and can cook when it is raining outside. Here in the Houston area, we get a lot of rain. Hopefully this will happen soon. That is a good point about the drippings on the front. I need to use the citrus cleaner I have.

I use B&B pellets and really like them.

One thing I can tell you, is the body is extremely heavy and even after taking out as much weight as I could, i still think it weighs close to 200 lbs without the cart, lid, and the innards. I had help to take it out, and kept it on a moving dolly the whole time I sanded and cleaned it up. Was a lot of fun getting it back in without scratching it.

Time it next time you get the chance. It heats up quicker than you think. I was surprised how well it did the past 2-3 times I’ve cranked it up. If you can’t duplicate it it might have to with how I don’t have a cold smoking chamber. I’m not sure if that plays a role. Another possibility is aluminized steel has better heat refraction than stainless.

I have timed it numerous times so I know my times are pretty accurate. I forgot, you have the 1 Star. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if that gives you the advantage. If I average it out over the 4 seasons I am sitting at about a 22 min preheat time from dead start to 450°. Good enough for me :)

I am also guessing you are seeing a lot faster heat ups since adding the Flame Zone. In fact, I am certain you are :)

I have timed it numerous times so I know my times are pretty accurate. I forgot, you have the 1 Star. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if that gives you the advantage. If I average it out over the 4 seasons I am sitting at about a 22 min preheat time from dead start to 450°. Good enough for me :)

I am also guessing you are seeing a lot faster heat ups since adding the Flame Zone. In fact, I am certain you are :)

It’s about 8 minutes faster. The flame zone rocks!

It’s about 8 minutes faster. The flame zone rocks!

It does rock! The radiant heat that hits my hand when grilling puts a smile on my face every time I reach to flip the meat... a smile even though I lose my hand hair every time... lol. The amount of heat is no joke!

The Mak is killing it! Love this thing as a grill. Just my opinion but I think pellet grilled food is so much better than charcoal grilled food.

Looking forward to trying this soon. Forgive me for this one, since I’m new to pellet cooking and how they function. Are we supposed to use the Mak with the lid up or down on “GRILL”? With all the talk about the high heat I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up!

Looking forward to trying this soon. Forgive me for this one, since I’m new to pellet cooking and how they function. Are we supposed to use the Mak with the lid up or down on “GRILL”? With all the talk about the high heat I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up!

Lid down 100% of the time on a MAK. Also, a lesson I learned the hard way. If you have the new Funnel Flame Zone, and if grilling fatty meats on the MAK, don’t set the temp above 450°. It’s to hot and you run the risk of flare ups. 450° on the controller is closer to 575-600° at grate level. The MAK is a fantastic everyday grill :)

Last edited:

I tried the lid up thing and it didn’t work too well. Lid down the whole time works better. Most Mak users set their controller to 450 deg. I’ve done legs at 375 deg, burgers and chicken tenders at 400 deg, I’ve done pork tenderloin (can’t remember what temp), and pork chops at 450 deg. In terms of grilling performance it’s pretty comparable to my dad’s Weber genesis gas grill but much better flavor.. It’s definitely not lump charcoal or infrared type grilling in terms of searing performance but you can’t beat the convenience and flavor.

Last edited:
I tried the lid up thing and it didn’t work too well. Lid down the whole time works better. Most Mak users set their controller to 450 deg. I’ve done legs at 375 deg, burgers and chicken tenders at 400 deg, I’ve done pork tenderloin (can’t remember what temp), and pork chops at 450 deg. In terms of grilling performance it’s pretty comparable to my dad’s Weber genesis gas grill but much better flavor.. It’s definitely not lump charcoal or infrared type grilling in terms of searing performance but you can’t beat the convenience and flavor.

Thanks! Looks great!

I'm trying burgers tonight (hopefully the rain wont be a problem) and will probably use the sear grate I purchased. I'll have to figure out the flip times so I'm trying to avoid too much trial and error.

Last edited:
YUM! How’d you season it and about how long did the cook take? I see you busted out the fine china as well [emoji41]

Zatarans blackened seasoning and I topped mine off with hot sauce. The filet was so good it tasted buttery so no need for butter. It took 30-40 minutes. It was a 1 pound filet and took it to internal 140 deg. Oh yeah and I saved the good paper plates for this meal!

Zatarans blackened seasoning and I topped mine off with hot sauce. The filet was so good it tasted buttery so no need for butter. It took 30-40 minutes. It was a 1 pound filet and took it to internal 140 deg. Oh yeah and I saved the good paper plates for this meal!

I cook mine on parchment paper. Keeps it from sticking and I don't need to clean before or after...

Comes and goes

I’d add that at 275° rarely is there no smoke. It’s not like the Pitts and Spitts that seems to put out a constant thin blue (which is quite impressive). At 275° the MAK goes from very light to quite heavy and toggles back and forth. But almost never to do I walk out and see nothing.

I’d add that at 275° rarely is there no smoke. It’s not like the Pitts and Spitts that seems to put out a constant thin blue (which is quite impressive). At 275° the MAK goes from very light to quite heavy and toggles back and forth. But almost never to do I walk out and see nothing.

Yes on the Mak and I agree with the Pitts and spitts comment as well. It seem the Pitts and spitts have wonderful smoke production. I just can’t get a clear answer on how well they can sear.

Yes on the Mak and I agree with the Pitts and spitts comment as well. It seem the Pitts and spitts have wonderful smoke production. I just can’t get a clear answer on how well they can sear.

There’s a YouTube video of the PS 1250 searing burgers/hotdogs. Have you seen it? The Yoder seems like it would run circles around the PS in the searing dept. I think it took about 40 mins to hit 450°... and the access door doesn’t really give you direct flame access like Yoder does. It’s kind of offset.

There’s a YouTube video of the PS 1250 searing burgers/hotdogs. Have you seen it? The Yoder seems like it would run circles around the PS in the searing dept. I think it took about 40 mins to hit 450°... and the access door doesn’t really give you direct flame access like Yoder does. It’s kind of offset.

Yeah, I hadn't watched any videos of the P&S. Looking at this, the Yoder is in a different class. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pitts+and+spitts+1250+

Back