THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep, I'm a big fan of the Comp Blend seems to work well on everything imo, I also like the that there is a whole lot less ash buildup than the 100% pellets. I don't use a tube so smoke profile wise I don't notice much of a difference between this and the Hickory but hey I'm not one of those that can tell the difference between cooking with KBB and Lump so there's that.

Had a local dealer and he's changing up his business so he's not selling anymore but he let his customers know he would do a bulk buy a couple times a year and this should last me a good 6mo if not longer.

Does the comp blend burn hot for grilling? It sounds nice for smoking.

Everything burns hot in the Yoder. I have used almost all LJ pellet flavors, and have never said to myself, oh that pellet is really burning hot. Possibly uses more pellets, but normally when I am grilling on my Yoder, cooks are very quick. If you are wanting a grill specific pellet, get some Char Hickory. They say it burns hotter, I haven't noticed, but it does smell great.

Everything burns hot in the Yoder. I have used almost all LJ pellet flavors, and have never said to myself, oh that pellet is really burning hot. Possibly uses more pellets, but normally when I am grilling on my Yoder, cooks are very quick. If you are wanting a grill specific pellet, get some Char Hickory. They say it burns hotter, I haven't noticed, but it does smell great.

It seems on my Mak cherry takes a little longer to get to grill temp which is why I ask. Oak seems to get there the quickest when I’ve timed it.

Interesting. I really couldn't tell you actual heat up times. I know it is quicker than I can prep my food. Does the Mak have different startup modes? The Yoder has 3 different start up modes, Each more aggressive than the other. I normally just use the default,. I bet Mak has something similar.

I don't do much grilling on the MAK even though I have the flame zone, once in awhile I'll do a reverse sear on a steak or tri tip but I have not noticed a difference in the grill getting up to searing temp. YMV

Interesting. I really couldn't tell you actual heat up times. I know it is quicker than I can prep my food. Does the Mak have different startup modes? The Yoder has 3 different start up modes, Each more aggressive than the other. I normally just use the default,. I bet Mak has something similar.

No you just set the temp and go. If the temp is set to 245 deg or below the fan will blow at 60%. 295 deg or below it will blow at 80% and 300+ deg it will blow at 100%. That’s cool that the Yoder has different start up speeds. How quick can you change between them?

Yoder owners I need some input.

I’m buying a ys 640 in a few months and don’t have room in my garage for that and my new truck. I really don’t want either to sit outside but I’m leaning towards leaving the Yoder out

My back yard faces south so the 640 would not be in direct sunlight and it would sit against a 4’ retaining wall on our patio. We also have a 6’ privacy fence to block the wind. With the new Yoder cover would you guys feel comfortable leaving a 640 comp cart outside. I live in the Midwest so we do get snow and ice but I also run my smokers overnight so having the security of it being behind the house makes me feel a little better.

Thoughts?

I store mine outside with a cover. (it is on an open concrete Patio.) I have not noticed any rusting. sometimes a little moisture on the top. the new Yoder's have a better paint job than the old ones. Mine has been repainted with 1200 deg rustoleum grill paint and is holding up well.

I store mine outside with a cover. (it is on an open concrete Patio.) I have not noticed any rusting. sometimes a little moisture on the top. the new Yoder's have a better paint job than the old ones. Mine has been repainted with 1200 deg rustoleum grill paint and is holding up well.

Have you had to touch it up at all? How often do you grill on it or do you mainly smoke?

No you just set the temp and go. If the temp is set to 245 deg or below the fan will blow at 60%. 295 deg or below it will blow at 80% and 300+ deg it will blow at 100%. That’s cool that the Yoder has different start up speeds. How quick can you change between them?

You just hold the start button until it shows what mode you are in. Then use the temp up and down to toggle betwessn H1, H2, or H3. When in H1 if the grill isn't to temp in a certain amount of time, it moves to H2, then if it doesn't get to temp it will move to H3 which is the most aggressive startup. I normally just leave it at the default, which is H1. If you manually select H3, it will go all out from the start. In doing this, it tends overshoot temps, which isn't a big problem when grilling. But it takes it forever to cool back down, once it gets up to 500 or 600 degrees.

You just hold the start button until it shows what mode you are in. Then use the temp up and down to toggle betwessn H1, H2, or H3. When in H1 if the grill isn't to temp in a certain amount of time, it moves to H2, then if it doesn't get to temp it will move to H3 which is the most aggressive startup. I normally just leave it at the default, which is H1. If you manually select H3, it will go all out from the start. In doing this, it tends overshoot temps, which isn't a big problem when grilling. But it takes it forever to cool back down, once it gets up to 500 or 600 degrees.

That’s good to know. I’m still waiting on my friend to get his. I’m really looking forward to playing with it a little.

I’m buying a 2014 model from a buddy, not sure when they changed the paint process or materials

Have you had to touch it up at all? How often do you grill on it or do you mainly smoke?

I bought a 2014 model that was stored near the coast (Corpus Christi area). It really had a lot of surface rust all over, so I removed it from the cart and totally repainted it. I just did this in September. I have not had to touch it up yet, but it is early. It still looks good.

I only smoke in it. I have a nice gasser for grilling.

I’m buying a 2014 model from a buddy, not sure when they changed the paint process or materials

Unfortunately, the paint process was changed after that. The old paint is a flat paint, whereas the new paint has a satin finish. You can buy the matching paint at ATBBQ.com. It is $12 per can. (since I was repainting my whole pit, I just went with high temp grill paint from Home Depot at $4 per can)

I would just look it over, and check for rust underneath and at the bottom seam.

You should consider getting their lid gasket kit. It includes the felt and shims with screws to allow for a square fit. This will stop any metal to metal contact when closing the lid. The area where the lid meets the body is another place where the paint can be chipped. The kit sells for less than $20 and should work on your pit if it has stainless screw on hinges (mine was made in Nov. 2014).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the paint process was change after that. The old paint is a flat paint, whereas the new paint has a satin finish. You can buy the matching paint at ATBBQ.com. It is $12 per can. (since I was repainting my whole pit, I just went with high temp grill paint from Home Depot at $4 per can)

I would just look it over, and check for rust underneath and at the bottom seam.

You should consider getting their lid gasket kit. It includes the felt and shims with screws to allow for a square fit. This will stop any metal to metal contact when closing the lid. The area where the lid meets the body is another place where the paint can be chipped. The kit sells for less than $20 and should work on your pit if it has stainless screw on hinges (mine was made in Nov. 2014).

On the 640 I’m buying my buddy has already done the lid seal on it. He takes extremely good care of his stuff as well.

My 640 sits outside even though it is under a covered patio. I normally keep the cover over it when not in use and I have not seen any sign of rust (yet). This is a 12/18 build with new style cover.

I really try not to drip anything down the front which I know will cause premature paint/rust issues. After every cook i use a citrus based cleaner and wipe the outside before putting the cover on. Its a new cooker so I dont expect any paint issues for some time but nonetheless I do expect them. If it gets bad enough or constant enough, i will just pull it off the comp cart and have it done to the 9's. This is a solid cooker and one that could last a lifetime if taken care of.

For the pellets, I've only used LJ Comp Blend (after getting through the pellets sent with cooker). I like them. Good even burn, very low ash buildup, and nice flavor.

Last edited:
So I was wrong on heat up times of other pellets. Mak got up to grilling temp 450 deg in 19 minutes with apple pellets. Not any different than oak unless I was doing the oak test in colder weather.

The Mak is killing it! Love this thing as a grill. Just my opinion but I think pellet grilled food is so much better than charcoal grilled food.

Last edited:
The Mak is killing it! Love this thing as a grill. Just my opinion but I think pellet grilled food is so much better than charcoal grilled food.

Beautiful! So does this mean theres gonna be a “gently used” kettle on CL? [emoji15]

Back