THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackened Mahi on the Memphis. Tried a new rib out of Baltimore I picked up at local butcher shop. Quite good

b4df648425c5d2e42a8e0b703af40ae7.jpg

039ed67fc95695e0e89517c784753607.jpg

Just realized we are still using Christmas plates...about time for those to be retired I believe!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As always, your cooks look fantastic! Why put away the plates now, might as well just leave em’ out for Christmas 2019 [emoji41]

Blackened Mahi on the Memphis. Tried a new rib out of Baltimore I picked up at local butcher shop. Quite good

b4df648425c5d2e42a8e0b703af40ae7.jpg

039ed67fc95695e0e89517c784753607.jpg

Just realized we are still using Christmas plates...about time for those to be retired I believe!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Great looking cook! I'm finding more uses for my pooper every day and you guys are giving me great ideas!

Been in the 30’s and raining since these came in, gonna be nice this weekend, can’t wait to give them a go!

Been in the 30’s and raining since these came in, gonna be nice this weekend, can’t wait to give them a go!

Dammit, Jeremy, I've bought enough accessories for my DB. Quit posting this stuff! On second thought, let us know how they work!

Last edited:
So I got my new flame zone! Did some 2 zone cooking today. Started the pork tenderloin out at 300 deg indirect and bumped the temp up 400 deg for a final direct sear.

Last edited:
So I got my new flame zone! Did some 2 zone cooking today. Started the pork tenderloin out at 300 deg indirect and bumped the temp up 400 deg for a final direct sear.

YUMMO!! Sooo, what are your initial thoughts about the Funnel Flame Zone?

YUMMO!! Sooo, what are your initial thoughts about the Funnel Flame Zone?

It works better than I thought it would just at 400 deg. I think that’s a good general grilling temp for most things. I’d do 450+ with steak. It’s also pretty heavy duty. I was surprised by how much it weighs. Overall I think it makes the grill run better.

One thing I also appreciate is how even the heat is and big the direct grilling area is. If I wanted to I could char 3 racks of ribs at the same time. Other pellet grill’s flamezones aren’t anywhere that big. They can get hotter sure but I think this is more functional and I’m getting plenty of char with just the stainless grates and I don’t even have it as hot as it will go lol.

Also worth mentioning is the difference between convection and radiant heat. For a test I removed one cover for direct and left one in for indirect and turned the grill to a measly 225 deg. I opened the lid and held my hand over the indirect side. It just felt warm and I could keep my hand there indefinitely. I held my hand over the direct side and could only keep it there for 3 sec before my hand began to sting. Ouch!

Also worth mentioning is the difference between convection and radiant heat. For a test I removed one cover for direct and left one in for indirect and turned the grill to a measly 225 deg. I opened the lid and held my hand over the indirect side. It just felt warm and I could keep my hand there indefinitely. I held my hand over the direct side and could only keep it there for 3 sec before my hand began to sting. Ouch!

That is one thing that really surprised me when I first started cooking w/ the new FZ setup. With both plates removed and cooking at temps of 400° or more, you darn near singe the hair off your arm. As you said, the radiant heat is no joke!

I am impressed. Picked up new YS640 yesterday and did burn in last night. 350 for 1 hour then 400 for 30 minutes just to ensure clean cooking I guess.

Today is maiden voyage. 3 racks spares, 2 pork tenderloins, ham, brisket. Had 2 whole chickens to put on but figured I'd save for another day.

It's finally a nice day out as well so very happy to be doing what we love.

I am impressed. Picked up new YS640 yesterday and did burn in last night. 350 for 1 hour then 400 for 30 minutes just to ensure clean cooking I guess.

Today is maiden voyage. 3 racks spares, 2 pork tenderloins, ham, brisket. Had 2 whole chickens to put on but figured I'd save for another day.

It's finally a nice day out as well so very happy to be doing what we love.

Pics...we want PICS!!! :)

New guy here and was wondering about temperature swing on a soon to be new to me Pit Boss Austin XL. Say you have it set to 250°, at what point will it turn on to get to the set temp? And then how far over the set temp will it turn off? Just wondering the accuracy of the controller. If I'm in the wrong section please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back