THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here uses Pit Boss pellets and what do you think of them?

I have used them, I have a little left over that I use on the tail end of cooks when the meat is wrapped.

I had trouble with controlling temp swings with them on my Camp Chef, the Yoder handles them better.

I don't care for the smoke profile, they seem on the lighter side for me.

Prime strip and lump meat crab cake with some green sticks on the side. Oil was a little hot, but still tasty

f6ab3cce9007137ffd6be9a509be0547.jpg

Happy New Years!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got some Duroc Baby’s going for the Winter Classic. Happy New Year Brethren!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooked new years eve feast on the pit boss classic. it's a versatile unit. the menu consisted of ribs, wings and rack of lamb as well as abt's, mac & cheese and baked beans for sides. I used the sear zone for finishing the lamb and wings. using the upper grate to crisp the wings worked well. unfortunately even with the ribs off to the side the bottoms burned. I should have wrapped them or better yet just cooked the ribs on the drum. too much opening and adjusting the pit boss. I timed it so something was coming off the cooker every hour. I find it more fun to have multiple courses as opposed to one big feast sometimes.

wings with habanero death dust no sauce are some of my favorite. using the upper grate for a raised direct style heat worked perfectly

my favorite part was the lamb. I made a board sauce with olive oil and mint that took it to the next level

the popper came off next. they were stuffed with chopped brisket and cream cheese and wrapped with peppered bacon

the bottom of the ribs were burned but what was scraped out the top was on point. with all the great food and beers it definitely didn't dampen the night but it was a lesson in the limitations of the pit boss. next time I'll just use a second cooker. if I did use the drum they could have rolled undisturbed while the pellet cooker handled all the shorter cooks. I would have had the room to do the beans and mac and cheese on the smokers too.

a final plate. all the food was served by 11pm.

It’s impressive how well those stainless grates work on the Memphis

These last few cooks have actually been 425 degrees direct flame with grill grates. The stock grates can indeed do similar, but u need to get it over 600-650 indirect to do it. Using the stock grates over the direct flame obviously can do nuclear temps, but honestly I get better results at lower temps with grill grates for some things.

Memphis Elite

These last few cooks have actually been 425 degrees direct flame with grill grates. The stock grates can indeed do similar, but u need to get it over 600-650 indirect to do it. Using the stock grates over the direct flame obviously can do nuclear temps, but honestly I get better results at lower temps with grill grates for some things.

Memphis Elite

Kinda funny, that’s almost exactly how I do it on the MAK. Flame Zone covers removed, Pellet Boss controller set to 425° using MAK sears grates. My results look very much like yours. The right cooking grate makes all the difference in the world (anodized aluminum) [emoji41]

Like you, I use to feel that in order to achieve grilling nirvana, most things had to be cooked at EXTREMELY high temps. I have learned that more often than not, that is not the case.

Looking for pellet smoker

I'm looking at either a Yoder 640 or Traeger pellet grill and I've searched this site and there is loyalty to both brands. I like the build quality of the Yoder but curious if there is any major flaws with either one that have come up over time. I live in Florida so it will get used frequently but not for competition. Appreciate any feedback.

I'm looking at either a Yoder 640 or Traeger pellet grill and I've searched this site and there is loyalty to both brands. I like the build quality of the Yoder but curious if there is any major flaws with either one that have come up over time. I live in Florida so it will get used frequently but not for competition. Appreciate any feedback.

I have had a yoder and looked at many Traegers...there is no comparison IMO...Yoder all the way

Back