THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprised? You have a pellet cooker... I am surprised that you’re surprised ;)

There is MUCH to love about pellet cooking!

I’m surprised on this forum where so many guys cook with lump or on an offset that a pellet cooker thread is so popular.

I love my pellet cooker. I am however planning to pick up a PBC this spring just to mix it up a little bit. Down the road I plan on selling my traeger and getting a YS640 comp cart.

I’m surprised on this forum where so many guys cook with lump or on an offset that a pellet cooker thread is so popular.

I love my pellet cooker. I am however planning to pick up a PBC this spring just to mix it up a little bit. Down the road I plan on selling my traeger and getting a YS640 comp cart.

Nice! Pellet cookers are just automated mini stickburners lol. The Yoder is a fine smoker

A lot of them have both. When time is limited, the pellet cooker comes out. When there's time to burn, it's stickburner front and center. At least that's how I do it.

Never owned an offset and there are a couple of things I might like better with charcoal and wood but overall the combination of the pellets I'm using and the MAK are putting out a better flavor profile and I've done some side by side cooks like this Rib cook for example. Of course it's all subjective and others may feel differently.

Put my Drum up for sale and it should be sold tomorrow, had a lot of great cooks on it and my gone but not forgotten WSM too but I won't miss either one. Still have the trusty Weber Performer and it isn't going anywhere. If I buy another cooker it will most likely be the LSG 20" offset but I'm not in a hurry because I'm really happy right now and never say never but I doubt I'll ever buy another charcoal cooker.

Never owned an offset and there are a couple of things I might like better with charcoal and wood but overall the combination of the pellets I'm using and the MAK are putting out a better flavor profile and I've done some side by side cooks like this Rib cook for example. Of course it's all subjective and others may feel differently.

Put my Drum up for sale and it should be sold tomorrow, had a lot of great cooks on it and my gone but not forgotten WSM too but I won't miss either one. Still have the trusty Weber Performer and it isn't going anywhere. If I buy another cooker it will most likely be the LSG 20" offset but I'm not in a hurry because I'm really happy right now and never say never but I doubt I'll ever buy another charcoal cooker.

If I buy another grill it will probably be another pellet cooker or a flat top gasser. I see no significant advantage to charcoal or wood anymore. But I do understand that people love to play with fire though. I bet a Yoder 640 with a competition cart and 2 piece diffuser or a black stone flat top would fit right in nicely. I don’t know if I want to store 3 cookers in my basement though

Last edited:
I'm going to throw a whole chicken on the new pellet pooper tomorrow. Any suggestions on temp?

As far as temp, I cook all whole or spatchcocked chickens at 375° start to finish. Great skin and excellent meat.

Last edited:
+1 on 375. I spatch, do the boiling water trick for good, crispy skin. Let us know how yours turns out, however you choose to do it.

Can you please point me back to that thread re: the boiling water trick? Or just briefly explain it again? I know it’s nothing complicated, just can’t remember the specifics.

I know every time I post I keep saying how every time I cook on this thing it cranks out my best food but I really mean it! Best smoked chicken wings I’ve cooked.
Program was smoke for 30 minutes and then 400 deg. Very crispy. The hickory smoke flavor was perfect. Tasted just like it came off my late offset.

Last edited:
I know every time I post I keep saying how every time I cook on this thing it cranks out my best food but I really mean it! Best smoked chicken wings I’ve cooked.

Program was smoke for 30 minutes and then 400 deg. Very crispy. The hickory smoke flavor was perfect. Tasted just like it came off my late offset.

Show-off!!!!! [emoji12]

I’ve never cooked on an offset but I’m looking forward to comparing it to food off my Stumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC ‘Que;4093871 said:
I’ve never cooked on an offset but I’m looking forward to comparing it to food off my Stumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s different from charcoal. I can’t really explain it. Both are Smokey but all wood and pellet smokers have a woodsy flavor to it and charcoal not as much. The flavor of my offset and pellet is also cleaner and typically lighter than charcoal and wood chunks but flavor is better. Maybe someone else can describe it better. Since your coming from charcoal like I am you may need to buy lumberjack 100% hickory and leave on smoke setting for 30 to 60 minutes prior to cranking up the heat until you get resensitized to “normal people “ levels that don’t eat and smoke bbq all the time.

Last edited:
Back