THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I fill mine up, fairly regularly. I figure it doesn't take any more time or pellets to fill it up, as does to just cook a little. I really don't cook anything other than chicken over 275, and generally 225 - 250, so I might not be the best to ask. I dont think it is a big deal, other than if you are going on high heat, you will get some radiant heat from the diffuser, which will cause the bottom part of the meat on the bottom rack, to cook quicker.

This is true of most cookers. On my reverse flow offset the bottom of food would be slightly charred on the rack just above the reverse flow plate on higher temp cooks. Same thing for my kamado joe. About the only cooker that doesn’t have this problem are water smokers but they come with their issues as well.

This is true of most cookers. On my reverse flow offset the bottom of food would be slightly charred on the rack just above the reverse flow plate on higher temp cooks. Same thing for my kamado joe. About the only cooker that doesn’t have this problem are water smokers but they come with their issues as well.

Agreed, that's why I never thought to mention it about the Yoder. it is just the way of life. Just like on the cheaper offsets, the meat closest to the fire, gets hotter. Just move things around during the cook, and all is well. Just been doing it so long, it isn't a problem for me.

Fair enough Josh, so you just use it as a smoker? or are you grilling too?

I use it to grill on occasion, but don't grill that much. It is very nice for reverse sear. The radiant heat, on the bottom rack, works to your advantage when grilling. It is a very good all purpose cooker, but in all honesty, I prefer grilling on the kettle. It is nice though, when you are tired, and you just want to grill off a steak, or some brats. Quick and easy.

You guys that own MAK’s.. I’m considering a 2 Star or a Memphis pro.

On something as simple as plain ol chicken breasts, would y’all say the cook time is the same as a propane grill? Just trying to convince my other half that the pellet grill is “better” than the gasser. Her thought is chicken will take too long on the pellet grill if she’s in a hurry just wanting to toss something on for the kids, when she could just as easily throw em on the gasser.
Gave our Weber gasser to my wife sister after getting the MAK. Flame Zone open will get to cooking temp almost as quick as the gasser, bonus is it's much easier to control temps.

The Smoke Daddy relights if the temp drops to 130. My last cook was in really swirling high winds. That had zero effect on the cook chamber temps. I guess that's the lack of intake? That's probably true with all of them, right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

why is that Matt?

Seems anything over 250-275 you really need to watch the meat on the bottom shelf and flip/rotate regularly. You can adjust the damper to try and even it out but still the heat from the defuser plays a part. And all of this leads to more opening of the lid which leads to longer cook times and so forth. I just did a butt at 275+ on the top rack. Turned out awesome but i bet if it was on the bottom near the fire pot the bottom would of been pretty scorched.

I love my yoder but it's to tight on space for my needs. I have a Shirley on order for when i need to cook a fair amount. I feel the yoder is pretty good at 5 racks of ribs or like 4 butts. That gives a fair amount of room to move stuff around. Anything over that i feel you are fighting what the unit was built to do. If i could go back 3years i would of got the 1500.

All of you grilling on these, don't you get sad about all that grease dripping down onto the ashes and the firepot? Man i always say i would like to try and grill on it but my firepot and area under diffuser is like brand new. I don't think a drop of grease has ever made it down there.

All of you grilling on these, don't you get sad about all that grease dripping down onto the ashes and the firepot? Man i always say i would like to try and grill on it but my firepot and area under diffuser is like brand new. I don't think a drop of grease has ever made it down there.

That’s seasoning to me

The Smoke Daddy relights if the temp drops to 130. My last cook was in really swirling high winds. That had zero effect on the cook chamber temps. I guess that's the lack of intake? That's probably true with all of them, right?

I would think so.

I'm not understanding the flipping of meat. I've only done 6 cooks but I've never moved or flipped anything. I only have 1 rack and have not loaded it up though. The bottoms look just like the tops.

I'm not understanding the flipping of meat. I've only done 6 cooks but I've never moved or flipped anything. I only have 1 rack and have not loaded it up though. The bottoms look just like the tops.

Some do a better job than others.

What temp do you cook at?

I’ve never had a problem with radiant heat from the diffuser plate cooking the bottom faster than the top. But then I tend to cook low and slow, particularly now that I don’t have to tend a bloody fire every 30 min. Usually 250 or below.

After following this thread for a while and doing a couple of months of researching, I just placed my order for the Mak 1 Star. Options ordered include: the flame zone, bottom and side shelves and 3/4 upper grill rack. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Thanks to all for the info provided here.

After following this thread for a while and doing a couple of months of researching, I just placed my order for the Mak 1 Star. Options ordered include: the flame zone, bottom and side shelves and 3/4 upper grill rack. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Awesome and CONGRATS!!!!! Look forward to watching you receive it and seeing/hearing about your first cooks and initial impressions :)

Post pics and congrats!

What temp do you cook at?
Usually 225 for 30-60 minutes then 275 for most things. Did straight 350 on a chicken. I'm still new so not many cooks.

Usually 225 for 30-60 minutes then 275 for most things. Did straight 350 on a chicken. I'm still new so not many cooks.

At those temps, it isn't a problem. When you go higher than 275, is when I have noticed it. I cook spatchcocked chicken on my bottom grate without any problems at 400. The bottom will get a little darker, but it is good. Maybe some cookers are better, I just don't know how you are going to eliminate radiant heat from a big sheet of steel directly under the food. Luckily, I like low and slow, and pellet cookers makes it easy.

Back