THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heynow14

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi guys -
Fairly new to this awesome forum and from what I read, there are many of you who have experience with vertical drum smokers. I've recently completed a 55-gal drum smoker and I've run it through a couple of heat cycles. Yes, I did clean out most of the radioactive waste before I fired it up. :twisted:

Once the lid goes on, it's clearly starving the fire. I'm just not certain if I need more O2 inlet volume or if I need more exhaust for spent gas to escape or perhaps both. See pics attached. I want to be sure that I only cut the holes I need so any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thx,
Nick

Attachments

I would definitely say you need more intake, with all those 90's you have in the pipes, air is going to be tough to get through.

+1 on too many bends on your intakes. Try taking out 1 90 per intake and that will make a big difference.

Here's what I'd do: eliminate one riser, and just mount the valve where the hole is on the UDS (i.e. way down low). One the other riser, take out the second 90-deg bend as others suggested, and mount the valve in-line so it points straight up.

You do both of those, and it'll draw air just fine. Exhaust holes look great, by the way.

^^^^What everything they said. Although it looks totally awesome with the intakes like that it will never get enough air. IF those are a keeper then maybe create another intake that you can use and then use the vertical intakes as a fine tune temp adjustments?

Thanks for the quick replies! The fire basket is directly on the bottom of the drum with a 2" high gap for ash collection. The inlets are about 3" high so they're right at the fire base. I'm thinking that perhaps I should make two additional larger inlets - maybe 1.5" pipe without any elbows - at the back and then leave both open or maybe cap one and use the side inlets as fine tuners as Dadeo719 suggests.

Back