THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

samadaman

Found some matches.
Hello!

I'm a beginner BBQer and am embarking on building an ugly drum smoker. I've had a look for a thread for some help but I still have questions. If there is a thread please feel free to direct me to it.

My questions are as follows.

1. The is steel with some form of spongy material around the rim to allow an airtight seal. I have assumed this has a clear coating of some sort on it. How do I tell surely and do I need to burn/scrape/wash it off?

2. I bought a drum with what seems to be a paint liner on the inside, if I burn it really hot and wash it out will this be safe enough for cooking or will it need to be sand blasted if the paint doesn't come off? Or possibly a wire wheel sand?

3. I've started buying the inlet fittings. The ball valve i bought was half by accident (the nipples for upper intakes will be staibless). Will the ball valve inlet get hot enough to give off fumes? If so should i find a ball valve made of stainless?

I'm still planning it out as I'm really really new to the hands on tools sort of approach. So any other advice will be greatly appreciated. All the help is much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Cheers guys

Hello!

I'm a beginner BBQer and am embarking on building an ugly drum smoker. I've had a look for a thread for some help but I still have questions. If there is a thread please feel free to direct me to it.

My questions are as follows.

1. The is steel with some form of spongy material around the rim to allow an airtight seal. I have assumed this has a clear coating of some sort on it. How do I tell surely and do I need to burn/scrape/wash it off?

2. I bought a drum with what seems to be a paint liner on the inside, if I burn it really hot and wash it out will this be safe enough for cooking or will it need to be sand blasted if the paint doesn't come off? Or possibly a wire wheel sand?

3. I've started buying the inlet fittings. The ball valve i bought was half by accident (the nipples for upper intakes will be staibless). Will the ball valve inlet get hot enough to give off fumes? If so should i find a ball valve made of stainless?

I'm still planning it out as I'm really really new to the hands on tools sort of approach. So any other advice will be greatly appreciated. All the help is much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Cheers guys

3. no the ball valve wont get that hot

Peel off n Throw away that gasket . Burn drum out Hot for three or four hours -power wash it -whatever's left can stay - season over it. I would prefer a full port ball valve . Actually I would order a slide vent from big Poppa smokers or possibly a big Poppa smokers UDS kit and get everything. I prefer a 2 to 2 1/2 inch exhaust About 4 inches tall dead center of the lid but it'll work with a pipe nipple screwed into the 2" bung in the lid if it has one.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

Last edited:
Peel off n Throw away that gasket . Burn drum out Hot for three or four hours -power washi it -whatever's left can stay - season over it. I would prefer a full port ball valve . Actually I would order a slide vent from big Poppa smokers or possibly a big Poppa smokers UDS kit and get everything. I prefer a 2 to 2 1/2 inch exhaust About 4 inches tall dead center of the lid but it'll work with a pipe nipple screwed into the 2" bung in the lid if it has one.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

Why do you prefer slide vents?

Because I had 1 ball valve and 3 capped pipe nipples and the nipples n caps rusted on. Ball valve was fine but I didn't want to have 3 or 4 ball valves sticking out or to pay for 3-4.
1-2 slide vents - don't stick out and don't rust up.

Because I had 1 ball valve and 3 capped pipe nipples and the nipples n caps rusted on. Ball valve was fine but I didn't want to have 3 or 4 ball valves sticking out or to pay for 3-4.
1-2 slide vents - don't stick out and don't rust up.

I use the plastic caps. they wont rust on and are cheaper than even the metal caps.

I also have three .75" intake holes that are adjusted by cheap sheet magnets.

Why do you prefer slide vents?
I prefer my style slide vents. They don't rust into place. 1 elbow you can easily get to 450*. Adjust with your foot, the 90 degree elbows do not allow the wind to cause temp spikes, they are water tight. And if really lazy, I can screw in a intake stack for the fatman option. Though intake stacks can reduce the amount of intake air.

Thanks for the help guys, the problem is I live in New Zealand where BBQ isn't the biggest hobby over here, so finding things cheap can be a problem. If anyone know a good cheap replacement to extruded metal which I see on here a lot it would be much appreciated. Also if I buy stainless steel nipples will rust still be a problem?

Cheers,

Thanks for the help guys, the problem is I live in New Zealand where BBQ isn't the biggest hobby over here, so finding things cheap can be a problem. ,

Hi Samadaman,

I'm in NZ too. Join the "NZ BBQ Pitmasters" page on Facebook. They are a font of knowledge for local UDS info. Muzza Smith on there is a bloody good bloke and will happily provide all the advice you could want (and more).

You legend!

Will do

Edit: Can't seem to find the quoted group? Mind flicking me a private message with a link? Cheers,

Last edited:
Also if I buy stainless steel nipples will rust still be a problem? ,
Quality/high grade stainless will not rust. BUT
check the prices, they are really expensive here. And you will still have to deal with some rusting of your barrel.
You don't have to use expanded metal. It is just easy to get around here in many sizes. If you look threw the mega UDS thread, you will see alot of idea's that might help. Some have used the metal wire baskets out of freezers/refrigerators. Some have used stainless wire mesh baskets. The basket needs large enough holes so the coal ash can fall out/thru. Not the briquettes/lump.

If you have access to someone who will sandblast your drum... Think about doing it. The drums I have burned out required a lot of heat. I burned a couple of wooden pallets and a couple big bags of charcoal removing liner/ and or rust inhibitor sprays. Take your time assembling your UDS.
If you haven't planned on putting yours on a Drum Dolly, consider how easy they will be to move. When not in use I keep a Weber Kettle Cover over my UDS.

Back