This smoker worth the money???

keverhart

Knows what a fatty is.
I need help guys...

I'm in the market for a new backyard smoker and I've been looking at some heavy duty ones - Shirley Fab (my front runner), LSG, Lang, etc. Looking at traditional offsets and cabinet/verticals from 36" - 48". Problem is I'm in Phoenix and my ~$2k budget is being pressed with shipping costs. So, I've been looking local to alleviate the added costs by going local(ish) and found this manufacturer in Tuscon, who appears to make some good products. My one concern is they build with 3/16 steel and the others I'm looking at are 1/4+. Down here in Phoenix it doesn't really get cold at all so I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's a big enough deal to worry about when I'm saving $600+ going this route.

Can you guys comment on what you'd do/consider if you were me?

The video shows two items - the vertical smoker is the only thing I'm looking at.

Sedona Vertical Smoker Fabricated out of 3/16 steel plate..... 5 Shelves at 20” x 21” with 3.5” spacing between with SS Water Pan and Brass Drian Valve Exhaust is 5” Diameter by 12” tall - $1,495.00

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9wmz4Bj18

Not sure I like how the exhaust stack is to one side when all of your heat is coming from the bottom. I didn't make it through the whole video, but one thing he says in the beginning about a wash out port in the fire chamber. The last thing you want to do with ash is mix water with it. That's what creates an acidic environment and rusts out your firebox.

I hear you....shipping just about kills the deal. I have been looking at getting a Shirley and cost is at least 2k then throw in about $500 for shipping, out of my budget range. Trying to stay in the $1500k range, not easy!!

Check out Arizona BBQ Outfitters http://www.azbbqgrills.com/

They have a huge line of different models and do custom stuff as well. I have never used one but have heard good things from others who have. They are in Tucson, so delivery shouldn't be too bad.

The propane tank (150 gallon) I made into a smoker is 3/16 and holds temp well. Also Jambo pits CC is 7 gauge steel which is 3/16.

AZ BBQ Outfitters has a great reputation for top notch quality, would love to have a Scottsdale or Boothill with smoker box, they do plenty of custom work too.

Last edited:
Check out Arizona BBQ Outfitters http://www.azbbqgrills.com/

They have a huge line of different models and do custom stuff as well. I have never used one but have heard good things from others who have. They are in Tucson, so delivery shouldn't be too bad.

That's the smoker he's talking about, plus he even linked to their YouTube page...:doh:

3/16" steel is no worry at all and that vertical offset should function pretty well. As others mentioned having that exhaust stack on the left side, rather than the top, does seem like it's going to give a hot spot on the right side and a cooler spot on the left side.

Water + ash = basic (opposite of acidic) environment which is corrosive, so if you do utilize the "wash out" method just make sure you dry out the firebox and don't let ash sit in there for more than 24 hours.

All in that vertical looks like a pretty solid piece of equipment for $1500. I would definitely give them a call and ask about the reasoning for the placement of the exhaust stack though...perhaps they've done testing and in that particular setup it just works better.

I have met David and been to his shop several times, I would not hesitate to own anything that Az BBQ Outfitters produces. Give them a call and make a day out of it and go see them for yourself. To be honest if I had seen their website before I pulled the trigger on my LSG I probably would have owned one of Davids cookers. With that said I have been extreme happy with my LSG. Good luck with your decision.

Back