THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you liking th food on the M1 bytes than the Mak?
I'm on the fence and don't know if I should order a mak or m1
Any advice will help thanks

Are you liking th food on the M1 bytes than the Mak?
I'm on the fence and don't know if I should order a mak or m1
Any advice will help thanks

If the specific question is which one produces better food, I'd have to say the M1 by a mile. With that said though, the MAK puts out an amazingly tasty end product as well.

Personally, I think it boils down to personality type and amount of time/dedication one wants to devote to this craft. There are many times that without the convenance of a pellet pooper, we would NOT be eating slow cooked BBQ on that specific day.

I LOVE playing with fire. I LOVE being involved during the cooking process. If all I had was a pellet pooper, I'd become very bored. If I could only have 1, it would without a doubt be the M1. Reason being, it's a KILLER grill for quick meals... and I don't personally care for pellet poopers when it comes to grilling. Grilling to me is cooking food directly over a nice hot bed of burning lump charcoal :)

Just looking at this thread now. This looks like an excellent beast of a cooker you have!

How does the engineering look on the movable coal tray crank? Does it look like it will last and operate easily after some years and a bit of rust and gunk?

Also, how do you find it in terms of ease of use for grilling, compared to a Weber Kettle?

Just looking at this thread now. This looks like an excellent beast of a cooker you have!

How does the engineering look on the movable coal tray crank? Does it look like it will last and operate easily after some years and a bit of rust and gunk?

Also, how do you find it in terms of ease of use for grilling, compared to a Weber Kettle?

The movable coal tray is solid. Can't imagine having problems anytime soon. I do know that M Grills did recently make 1 change to the unit (mine has the change)...and that is to mount the movable coal tray with stainless hardware vs welding it into place. That way, down the road, if you ever do have an issue, it'll be an easy fix/replacement of part(s).

M1 vs Weber Kettle. Both make for a killer grill. Ease of use? To me, both are user friendly. If all you are after is a grill, save your $$ and go with the kettle. If you want a reverse flow smoker and a sweet grill w/ adjustable charcoal grate... then you will find the M1 to quickly move to the front of the competition. There's really nothing else like it...I've owned and cooked on a Hasty Bake Gourmet (and kettles)...and like mentioned, there's really nothing else on the market like the M1 ;)

Last edited:
The movable coal tray is solid. Can't imagine having problems anytime soon. I do know that M Grills did recently make 1 change to the unit (mine has the change)...and that is to mount the movable coal tray with stainless hardware vs welding it into place. That way, down the road, if you ever do have an issue, it'll be an easy fix/replacement of part(s).

M1 vs Weber Kettle. Both make for a killer grill. Ease of use? To me, both are user friendly. If all you are after is a grill, save your $$ and go with the kettle. If you want a reverse flow smoker and a sweet grill w/ adjustable charcoal grate... then you will find the M1 to quickly rise to the front of the competition. There's really nothing else like it...I've owned and cooked on a Hasty Bake Gourmet (and kettles)...and like mentioned, there's really nothing else on the market like the M1 ;)

Thanks for the write up on the M1! Ordered ours day after Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get it. We added a 1" coupling welded in on bottom of firebox door in case I want to use our IQ120 with it. Also added a probe port in lower part of lid on left side towards hinge to run probes in and it not affect opening of the lid.

Thanks for the write up on the M1! Ordered ours day after Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get it. We added a 1" coupling welded in on bottom of firebox door in case I want to use our IQ120 with it. Also added a probe port in lower part of lid on left side towards hinge to run probes in and it not affect opening of the lid.

Now that I've had mine for a few weeks, had I thought about it, I would've tweaked a few things. Never too late though... just got off the phone with Travis with my "tweaks" :)

Back