The Good One Rodeo Smoker

I got an open range three weeks ago and have only been able to use it once. It is not the largest but works well for my small family and small patio. Grates are about 30"x12", there is about 2" vertical spacing between the grates. Can't wait for this weekend to get on it again.

I have the old patio model 30 which I think they now call the open range. I use a rib rack with it and for my family it is a great cooker. I use it mostly for chicken and ribs. It does a great job of maintaining temp, needs only slight adjustments and it is good to go. Perfect for what I use it for. I use my WSM for the butts and brisket most of the time, only because I don't have to add charcoal etc. FWIW, I think my next smoker is going to be a DW's Kountry Cooker.

Thanks all for the various stories and inputs. I have a brain like a sieve and forgot about this thread. A Good One Rodeo showed up at my door about 4 weeks ago. I did two test cooks on it. 1st was 4 spatch-cocked chickens and just relied on the top thermo for checking temps. Finished them on the fire box grill grate. Tasty. 2nd cook was 2 pork butts and two brisket flats. This time I monitored the grate temps at the center to see what the fluctuations were and they weren't too bad. Can't find the notes at the moment...... Both meats came out great. The next cook was a local non-sanctioned comp. 12 teams with 4 of them KCBS/NEBS teams. Took a 2nd in pork and a 1st in brisket. I like this cooker! Oh yeah, fuel consumption was not bad either: 1 1/2 bags of Wicked Good Lump, 33 lbs, for a 17 hour cook.

Back