THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeff, the CPAP doesn't take much at all; it will run on batteries, but I don't have that set up. We're just going to have a tent, and I didn't think about power until too late, thinking I could do without lights, etc.

The good news is our smoker is actually going to be there; it's being painted (black) today, and I'll have a blog entry up some time today with it, and I'll post a pic here, too. It needs some tweaks, but we were able to hold 225 steady for over 4 hours with about 1/3 of a bag of royal oak. So we've cooked on it and been pleased, and it will be firing up for the weekend!

I almost had to bow out; my dog had some issues, but he's ok. My wife won't be joining us this weekend, but it looks like we'll have 3 extra helpers and a crew of people over on Friday. We're going to have a great time!

Jeff, find out if we're signed in when you get up there, and if we're not, see if you can hold the spot next to you; I'll do the same.

Will do, Curt! If you get there before us, be sure to get a nice shady spot! I think I'm going to try to pay for a double space. I just don't think I can operate in a 15x30 space. :roll:

No idea. From their description of the site, they said "lots of space and shade trees". We'll see... those may be in the non-BBQ area. :roll:

Guys, here's an update on sites at GR... I just called the organizer about getting a double sized site they mentioned in the email. He said that those requesting a double site ($125 extra) will be placed on the tennis courts in 30x30 sites. Unless you request a site of this size or you have a motorhome (they go there too), we probably won't be near your site. Not sure though. But the advantages of the tennis court sites are mainly two: no dirt or grass and the big one... guaranteed level sites! We have several interlocking foam kids play mats we use in our site when we're on hard surfaces. We just didn't see how we'd get everything in a 15x30 space (including our van). If you want one of these, I suggest you call the coordinator, John Bates, at (616) 776-5533 as soon as possible.

Curt, if you're not in our immediate area, I have a smaller inverter I can let you use during the overnight hours Friday night. Do you have a battery you can hook up to it? It has the battery terminal post clamps on it.

Jeff,

What kind of battery does it need? I'll have one, even if I don't already! Thanks a lot for the offer!

We found out we have a Honda generator we can use that's supposedly not loud, but what does 'quiet' mean? I'm guessing a regular generator is out?

cmcadams said:
Jeff,

What kind of battery does it need? I'll have one, even if I don't already! Thanks a lot for the offer!

We found out we have a Honda generator we can use that's supposedly not loud, but what does 'quiet' mean? I'm guessing a regular generator is out?

It just clamps onto any regular car or marine battery, Curt.

Quiet on the generators seems to be a questionable issue. According to the email, the rule is "If I (the contest organizer) get complaints about a generator, it's too loud." They're claiming there will be no leniency. Pretty strict place if you ask me... quiet generators, no alcohol, not allowed to be outside your assigned area at all, early quiet hours (calling it curfew... what, you can't be at another team's site visiting after 10pm???) and extending til 8am and you're supposed to only listen to one or the other of the two sponsoring radio stations when you play your own radio! Damn I hate that I tend to be a rebel! :lol: But my wife, being the calmer head that will prevail, said to go up there, shut up and just cook their contest and do what I normally do when we get home. Women! :roll: I guess that means no Guns n Roses at turn in time. I'm gonna miss "Welcome to the Jungle" cranked at about 11:50 am...

Jeff, a few years ago took my pit to G.Rapids contest. It was for my buddy not me. I had bought a little 1000 watt generator at Tractor Supply Co. It purrs like a kitten. I ran a fan, a small 110 volt floursent lite and a radio. At kerfew time had no complaints from anybody. Gonna try the same Friday nite. Ive seen several little Honda generators their and nobody complained about them either. Beer.....Just keep it in a coffee mug. Keep your stash outta site. Drink responsibly. Never seen any problems w/that either.
Just my 2 cents.
Mike

You know, the beer thing is something I can't do. Now I was in a fraternity, and we went through more beer than was good for us... but when I'm hot and sweaty, I want powerade or water, and that's about it.

bbqbull said:
Jeff, a few years ago took my pit to G.Rapids contest. It was for my buddy not me. I had bought a little 1000 watt generator at Tractor Supply Co. It purrs like a kitten. I ran a fan, a small 110 volt floursent lite and a radio. At kerfew time had no complaints from anybody. Gonna try the same Friday nite. Ive seen several little Honda generators their and nobody complained about them either. Beer.....Just keep it in a coffee mug. Keep your stash outta site. Drink responsibly. Never seen any problems w/that either.
Just my 2 cents.
Mike

They told me earlier this season that when they cleaned up after the contest that there were tons of beer cans in the trash... said they wouldn't go looking for it. I figure I'm good with my little pint bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon and a six pack of 7Up!

By the way... just heard that Bar-B-Quau will be at Grand Rapids... the competition just heated up a LOT.

Attachments

• woodford_reserve.jpg
    woodford_reserve.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I wish they had a website with teams listed, etc.... seems they are just doing the bare minimum in a lot of ways.

I'm just there to see how we can do, but mostly to have a great time and try to not sweat myself to death!

We knew going to Cameron that we were facing an uphill battle as far as scoring high with the level of competition here. We put on our game faces but relaxed and I remember coming back to camp with water and while i was filling the container watching all the activity around me, it hit me... "It's just farkin' BBQ'. It isn't rocket science and no one is saving the world! I walked over to camp and just blurted out to my wife... "It's just BBQ. Let's just do our thing." From then on, we had the game face working but we were much more relaxed and confident. It worked! We're gonna try the same at Grand Rapids!

Excellent advice Jeff, wishing you all the best of luck. I'm going to make the trip over on Saturday and look all of you up.
This mornings weather forcast says 93 degrees and sunny now for Saturday.
You guys got any of those "misters" like down at the Tiki bars?

Scott

Jeff, Marci and I will be heading up Friday night after work to check things out. Do you know your location yet?

Neil, all I know is that because we bought a double sized site, I was told we would be on the tennis courts. Other than that, I have no idea. I was thinking of searching online to see if I can find out any further info on John Ball Park. Did you see directions anywhere? If not, I'll post them soon.

I need to get the actual addres... I have that VZ Navigator on my phone, and so far it works really great.

I looked into the misters, and, without running water, decided to go with the neckband things this time. I'll be getting misters for next year, though (and maybe September if we do a comp then).

I looked for an address, Curt and found nothing. Careful if you do though. There's a John Ball Zoo and I don't know if it's the same place or not. If it is, at least there will be an endless supply of meat to Q! :lol:

Back