Talk me out of buying a fireboard...

I bought a DOT 2 years ago on an open box sale. Lately I've been looking hard at one of those multi probe, remote thermometers. I said to myself: "Self- having more probes could be handy". He agreed.

So- I bought me another DOT.

I caved to temptation- sue me. :-D

I have been looking at these but I haven't seen a lot of reviews on them. Get one and let us know what you think!

You hit the nail on the head. They haven't been around very long at all and I've read a few reviews from folks that have used them for a cook or two while they still had that "new thermoprobe smell", but I haven't read anything from folks that have used them for a long stretch of time.

My other thought is to buy two Maverick 732 units which would give me 1 smoker probe and 3 meat probes for $120, but wouldn't give me data. I'm a data geek at heart, so I'm trying to weigh the reliability of the Maverick vs the data functionality of the fireboard + $70 and an unknown reliability.

I have been researching them, can't talk you out of it, because I want one too. Haven't found a bad review yet, but it is a lot for an unproven company. I am torn between the fireboard and tappecue. From reviews if you go with the fireboard, I would also get the case for another $50. Makes it waterproof and has magnets so you can attach it to the side of your smoker out of the way. Anyone have any thoughts on which is better fireboard or tappecue?

I've had a Fireboard for about 6 or 7 months and it is fantastic. Simple to use app with a very intuitive interface that connects both via wifi or Bluetooth depending on whether you are in range. The probes are waterproof and very accurate (up to 6 probes) and it so nice to be able to monitor cook via app over cell phone when you are away from your house. They just came out with a fan controller (compatible with Pit Viper and other fans) which will make the setup complete for me.

I bought the CyberQ a few weeks ago and I’m going to try it out tomorrow for the maiden voyage on my new 22”WSM. I can report back weather permitting.

Looks like they just went live with the fan control system so it's a no-brainer if you're interested. I had a chance to meet two of the designers / developers at NBBQA 2017 and they were pretty decent people and quite intelligent. They had the Fireboard up and running all day and the data / graph feature was pretty cool. If nothing else it will give you a good challenge to keep your temps more even the next cook. haha

The unit looked like a very solid piece of gear, probes and probe cables were heavy duty, and the unit appeared to be very well built.

Good luck with your decision but I agree with many of the other posters that it's probably a solid buy.

https://www.fireboard.com/drive/

I've had a Fireboard for about 6 or 7 months and it is fantastic. Simple to use app with a very intuitive interface that connects both via wifi or Bluetooth depending on whether you are in range. The probes are waterproof and very accurate (up to 6 probes) and it so nice to be able to monitor cook via app over cell phone when you are away from your house. They just came out with a fan controller (compatible with Pit Viper and other fans) which will make the setup complete for me.

I bought mine and I live in Italy, it costed me an arm and leg but it was worth it absolutely, I use it eveyrtime also in the oven.
I just bought the drive as well and I can't wait to try it!
You should really pull the trigger on this one-

It's always great to hear positive feedback from someone who has used it for a while. I had heard that they were working on a fan controller but i didn't realize it was released.

Last edited:
I’m so glad I saw this thread. I’m growing disappointed with how unreliable the Flame Boss 300 probes are. They are decent but sometimes will read as much as 50 degrees off before “twitching” back. The Tel Tru is my ace in hole. Fireboard having a fan has got me thinking...

I got one in July and have used it for a whole bunch of cooks and couldn't be happier with it. Setup took about 2 mins and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I'm always using it with WiFi, haven't tried it with Bluetooth only so can't comment on that. Battery life seems to be fine, if I'm running multiple probes, I either plug it in with an adapter or connect it to a power pack. Cables on the probes are long, I had no issues using 2 probes in my Traeger and 3 in my kettle at the same time.

All thumbs up from me.

I really enjoyed mine, but find I am not using it as often as I used to. Never had any issue with function or range.

Thats what I'm afraid of. It's a fair price for what it offers, but I'm wondering if it isnt overkill for my modest needs. I do big cooks every now and then, but reality i'm just cooking for 5 most of the time.

mighty big probe you have there.

That's what she said.....

Three pages and no one has said "I wouldn't buy that if I were you.."...

I have a Dot and another off brand. Both are sufficient for me. I don't know what I'd do with all them probes.

I am buying one soon to replace my Tappecue but no complaints with my currant unit , I just like trying new things and the probes look beefy . only reason I use these devices is if I go to the city I can phone the kid or wife and tell them when to add a log .

Back