Remote Thermometer Replacements Recommendations (Inkbird?)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
The ET 732's I've had for like 10yrs are finally dying. One is fully dead and the other is acting up :cry:.
N2bNiURl.jpg

I was digging through threads and looks like Inkbird is getting a lot of good love. I was gonna get something simple like the maverick below since I like having a unit to display the temp and I'm always home when cooking, but seems like the wifi version of inkbird (and other wifi manufacturers) gets the job done.

Those with wifi Inkbirds (or other wifi brands) does it work well and stay connected to your phone? Also trying to figure out why this one inkbird is $50 and the other is $88. Looks like a different model #.

Open to all suggestions too.

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Adr...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Ther...d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Ther...d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Well I just went ahead and bought the IBBQ 4T since it will get delivered today and I might use it to cook some lamb :becky:.

I thank everyone for their inspiration. My lack of patience pushed me over the edge, lol. I'll report back my findings if I get it in time.

I had two Inkbirds, both broke within a year. YMMV.

Thanks. I was about to just buy another Maverick since they have lasted me forever with a ton of use. We'll see how this does. And I ain't cooking as much anymore so won't abuse this like I did those Mavericks.

I bought 6X about 2 years ago and it works well. the instant read therms work very well also, have ran my 6x over 22 hours on a brisket 1 time, overnight is a breeze.

Wish I had seen this sooner or you would have waited till later. I reviewed a lot of InkBird products for them and I stand by my reviews at the time.

Since then they have moved the newest app for wi-fi to the home base in China.

This is the last contact I had with them. If you read the responses in the thread, you can decide.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303168

Here is the review I did on your unit.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286402

Just wanted you to have the info I had.

This probably doesn't help much, but I have an Inkbird instant read, had it for 2 years. Dependable and I like that it charges with the same USB-C cable as my phone. I get 6-8 months on a charge, great considering I use it with another, year round. Waterproof and easy to read and clean.

I have the IBBQ-4T for two years now with no problems. Battery life is great. Last week I was curious about my smoker temp with just smoke tubes burning in it overnight. Left it in there for two days and the battery was still over 3/4 charged. I also have their instant read for the same time with no problems.

I cry Nu-Temp tears every time this question comes up.

They became a staple in our house for a decade plus in the early 2000's. Phil bought me a set on like '05 or something.

Always left one when not in use under the grill cover on the patio. Remote would sit on the kitchen counter. Outside temp checked probably 5 times a day getting kids off to school and activities and such.

Have not found a comparable replacement, and I have a graveyard box of polders to show for it.

Nu-Temp, RIP

ON Amazon prime days, I picked up the MEATER Block wireless with 4x probes.

It looks great, but so far, I can NOT seem to get the damned thing to connect to my Wi
Fi network.

I'm back and forth with their customer support....I have a sneaking suspicion that for some reason, it is barfing on a wifi password with a symbol or two in it?!?!

Anyway, if I can't get that on the air, I'm gonna return it and look elsewhere.

I was looking maybe at TempSpike....
Or the offerings by the folks that do Thermopen...or the new kid on the block I came across, the "Predictive Thermometer" by Combustion.

If possible, I'd like to get set up with the wireless probes with no wires at all.....

OH well, I'm trying and I saw this thread and it caught my eye.

cayenne

Bump for the Op.

I want one that will work with the rotisserie.

I’ve been looking at the Meater but it’s spendy.

I've had the Meater block since just after the kickstarter campaign finished. I REALLY like it. It works great with the rotisserie.

I did have issues with it getting connected to my wifi router at the beginning. I found that the problem was that my router was set for smart connect or some nonsense thing like that. Basically my router has 2 5ghz and 1 2.4ghz transmit channels. When the router was set to the smart connect setting only 1 channel was transmitted that you connect to. The "smart connect" function thingy then placed your device on what it deemed as the best channel to connect your device to. It often tried connecting some of my 2.4ghz only devices to the 5ghz channels for some dumb reason. It created havoc with my Sonos speakers and the Meater block. Once I changed my router setting to show the 2.4ghz on its own I have not had any of those issues. The Meater block connects every time now easily (and no more issues with my Sonos system).

Now the Meater block is not perfect, and maybe the newer ones are better. Here are my only issues with it:

1. The block needs to be VERY close to the cooker for the probes to connect to the block. Several times a cook I will get an alert that says 1 or more probes have lost connection. Moving the block a little closer and facing the cooker seems to help, but most of the time I do nothing and the probe reconnects within seconds.

Well, now that I think of it, that is really my only gripe.

I love that each probe tells me the internal temp of the meat and also tells me the ambient temp of the pit as well. My favorite thing is when I have to leave for something I forgot to get at the store during a long cook and I can still monitor the cook.

MEATER Problems.

I've had the Meater block since just after the kickstarter campaign finished. I REALLY like it. It works great with the rotisserie.

I did have issues with it getting connected to my wifi router at the beginning. I found that the problem was that my router was set for smart connect or some nonsense thing like that. Basically my router has 2 5ghz and 1 2.4ghz transmit channels. When the router was set to the smart connect setting only 1 channel was transmitted that you connect to. The "smart connect" function thingy then placed your device on what it deemed as the best channel to connect your device to. It often tried connecting some of my 2.4ghz only devices to the 5ghz channels for some dumb reason. It created havoc with my Sonos speakers and the Meater block. Once I changed my router setting to show the 2.4ghz on its own I have not had any of those issues. The Meater block connects every time now easily (and no more issues with my Sonos system).

Now the Meater block is not perfect, and maybe the newer ones are better. Here are my only issues with it:

1. The block needs to be VERY close to the cooker for the probes to connect to the block. Several times a cook I will get an alert that says 1 or more probes have lost connection. Moving the block a little closer and facing the cooker seems to help, but most of the time I do nothing and the probe reconnects within seconds.

Well, now that I think of it, that is really my only gripe.

I love that each probe tells me the internal temp of the meat and also tells me the ambient temp of the pit as well. My favorite thing is when I have to leave for something I forgot to get at the store during a long cook and I can still monitor the cook.

Hm...you gave me hope there for a minute....lol.

I bought the MEATER Block the other day on Amazon Prime and feel I got a decent price.

However, I have NOT been able to set it up with my local WiFI with my current password. The same password that EVERYTHING wireless in my home has been connecting with for years (streaming boxes, TVs, toys, lights, etc....) with no problem.

I've been back and forth with support asking to make sure what is permissible in a password. I happen to have some punctuation symbols in mine, for a little extra security.

I had a sneaking suspicion...so, just for sh*ts and giggles, I took the symbols out...and set my phone to connect with that altered password....and VOILA, the Meater Block connected to WiFi and ran a firmware update.

Problem is, I do not want to have to go through EVERY item I own all over the house and reset the d*amned password. Heck with some of the things, I don't actually remember the config password for that item to get to the WiFi password to change it....

I've requested escalation on their support and I'm now conversing on email (about 1 a day) with someone that has a bit more tech knowledge....and hoping there's something that will get me by this.

I REALLY wanna use this unit...and likely when it comes down to it...I may decide to go through and change everything.....or, I may not.

But it blows this day in age that a network connected bit of hardware or an app cannot use all the commonly used characters for a password, you know?

Anyway...I really wanna use it...I see the 4 probes lit up in the app and I see all the graphical doodads sitting there waiting for me...mocking me...to set some temps.

Oh well....I thought I might have had a chance with your suggestion...I turned smart connect off my wireless access point, but alas...that did no good.

And after I did this....it dawned on me, I'd connect before with smart connect "on" but the password change.

Oh well...my smoker comes in in a month.....but darn it, I just did an amazing El Pollo Local copycat marinade recipe I tinkered with on a whole spatchcocked bird and it is AMAZING, but I'd sure like to have used my MEATER probes on it....

Cayenne

Back