THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
John
Thinking about trying something a bit different for NYE this year and Surf & Turf comes to mind. Turf, I have under control. Probably going with a Rib eye rather than a traditional Filet, because I like the flavor better. Good Butcher in the next town has great "Del Monicos" (Bone in Rib eye usually about 2 inches thick).

Only tried cooking a Lobster tail once previously and was not real impressed with my efforts (really made it for good friends and tried a few bites).

Started doing a bit of research online and recipes are all over the place.

Which side do I cut? How far through do you cut? Baste? Both sides? Start direct, finish indirect?

Help!

I have been making lobster tails on my PBC - sliced down the center, it'll curl up when it's done. Noah at PBC co has a video - works really well.

Even without a PBC, the same results could easily come from a vertical smoker, charcoal grill with 2-zone coal setup, etc.

Try to stay away from frozen if you can. If not thawed properly they will turn out tough, and even if they are, it's not the same. Doesn't matter what side you cut or if you cut at all. I don't baste and tend to crack mine open after plating. Just remember that it cooks quickly. I think the biggest reason for unsatisfactory lobster or tails is that it is often overcooked.

Back