How do you like your steak?

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I always get my steaks directly from the butcher. In the past, I would get them cut 3/4” thick. After watching many YouTube videos and reading info online, I’ve gone to get my steaks cut to 1” thick. I find a thicker steak cooks better and tastes much better than a thinner cut. Sure, it costs more, but it’s worth it. My favorite cuts from the butcher are t-bone and rib-eye with the bone in. I enjoy my steak cooked medium and sometimes medium-rare.

How thick a steak do you like? What cuts do you go for? How do you like it cooked?

I'm a t-bone and strip guy. My wife enjoys filets, which really puts a damper on my t-bone since she gets the filet. We like em about 1.25 thick and well marbled. Somewhere between med rare and medium works just fine. :-D

A medium rare 1 inch thick Porterhouse is my first choice, followed closely by a nice thick bone in Rib-eye.

One and a half inch ribeye or porterhouse. Porterhouse over tbone because the filet is larger on the porterhouse. Medium rare for me.

Love a properly blackened (using real butter) ribeye. That's my favorite way to cook a ribeye.

Just make sure you do it outside or you'll have the smoke detectors going off and the neighbors calling the fire dept.

We have a local butcher that has prime grade ribeye and porterhouse steaks. We get them cut 1.5” thick. We cook it to medium rare on the grill.

Generally speaking, I buy steaks that are about 1.5 inch thick, though will go as low as one inch. Mostly have been cooking chuckeye steaks as they are readily available here, and better than ribeye, when they're really good. Always medium rare.

From a recent cook:

VYW0iAs.jpg

Prep/Cook details:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298203

1-1/2” is my preference, but 1” is acceptable

Thinner than that and I consider them a breakfast steak.

I like my steak cooked to medium.
I like it grilled, reverse seared, cooked in a pan, or cooked with a Sou Vide.
If you are able to control the cook and get the steak to the doneness that you like, the end result will be amazing.

Attachments

• C54EA0C6-F18B-4F09-A470-10F3F1D5EC3C.jpg
    C54EA0C6-F18B-4F09-A470-10F3F1D5EC3C.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 189
  • EEDAE150-BC76-445E-903E-E1126F443CEE.jpg
    EEDAE150-BC76-445E-903E-E1126F443CEE.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 190
  • D50B91AC-604F-4EE3-8162-BC0ED636AEED.jpg
    D50B91AC-604F-4EE3-8162-BC0ED636AEED.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 34A4084C-909E-4F38-9857-5B11734AE176.jpg
    34A4084C-909E-4F38-9857-5B11734AE176.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 191
I like a big thick steak like the next guy/gal but I grew up a flank steak and prefer a tri-tip over anything else. Hard to beat the beefy flavor from some of those cheaper cuts.

I've always been a steak guy, and crave them, but the last few years I've found they aren't living up to my expectations. Whether it's a rib steak, t-bone, strip, or whatever. Still good, just not REAL good. Maybe I need to buy better quality beef.

Back when I was in my 20's I used to regularly be able to get bone in blade steaks that were cut about 3/4" thick. I used to get those little packets of 30min marinade that you mix up and let them go for 30mins to an hour and cook on a gasser. Man, those were the best steaks. I know.......low brow, lol. Maybe my palette was a little different back then.

Minimum of 1 1/4" inch all the way to 3"+ and cooked medium rare to medium depending on the cut. Porterhouse and bone in ribeye steaks are what I prefer although I really like flat iron and picanha (sirloin cap) frequently. Cooked over mesquite lump.

Only steak I like 3/4" is wagyu a5 due to the high fat content. A little goes a long way since it's so rich and fatty

HI5dBXYh.jpg

boSQBIih.jpg

Last edited:
I like it medium rare with a nice sear on the outside. I’m not too picky about thickness but should be at minimum 3/4”. Then depending on how thick
I adjust the way I cook it. I like to season simply kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder.

Generally speaking, I buy steaks that are about 1.5 inch thick, though will go as low as one inch. Mostly have been cooking chuckeye steaks as they are readily available here, and better than ribeye, when they're really good. Always medium rare.

From a recent cook:

VYW0iAs.jpg

Prep/Cook details:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298203

I've noticed your chuckeye steaks before. I need to find some.
Looks delicious Richard!! :-D

I'm a 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" ribeye fan. Slap the moo off of it and call er good.

1 inch to 1.5 is a pretty good sweet spot. after that it's almost a roast, different ball game. for strips, t-bones and sirloin I prefer a rare (125) for ribeye I can do 130

I agree that tastes certainly change over time. I’m wondering if you could recreate those “good ole” strakes by making sure your cooking a good grade of beef. My recommendation is CAB or. prime ribeye. Like the rest of the world there’s a lot of mediocre out their in the corporate dominated Ag world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back