Sunday Spatchcock (wink) Dry Brined Injected Turkey (And probaby other stuff)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Started thawing a turkey mid week knowing I’d be smoking it this weekend. Wasn’t sure which day, but since Saturday has passed today is the day :-D. It is going to be 70 freaking degrees and perfect. The whole week is supposed to be 70 here. I guess a February spring is here :twitch:.

I’m actually going to be using my WSM for the 1st time in a while so we’ll see how that goes. Might thaw out some sausage or rib tips too just for fun.

Not sure how big this one is as I couldn’t find the tag, but when I stocked up most were around 17-18lbs
RkxwqfIl.jpg

This prep was done yesterday. Giving it the spatchcock (if you are into that kind of thing) and a dry brine. You gotta have good Spatchcock’ing music. Allows the bird to really get in the mood for having its spine removed :biggrin1:.
Sx131Vfl.jpg

Spine out and put it with the neck/innards for gravy making later
xKE8rySl.jpg

DZtIcOhl.jpg

Dry bring ingredients
lKiA5tsl.jpg

RlbJ6U0l.jpg

I remember striking similar poses back in college (and/or last night) after a night of drinking :loco:. Close half off and just sprawled out
d3nEgHUl.jpg

Here it is yesterday before it went in the fridge to air dry
JOzAHoBl.jpg

And here it is today
JQcPDs3l.jpg

Here’s the WSM. I always love playing the game of “what does it look like since I haven’t taken the cover off in 6 months”
prdYwb3l.jpg

Will probably put it on around 1 for a 3-4’hr cook. I'm also going to inject the crap out of it with a quart of something just for fun. And for reference this is a "solution" bird that I'm also dry brining and then also injecting. I call it the "Disappointment Trifecta"! :becky:

Smoker doesn't look to bad. Gave it a once over with foil
SWUzd31l.jpg

aGEdf6Dl.jpg

A little torch to light with lump and briquettes
X4AmA2Ml.jpg

oTUo8NRl.jpg

Does this smoke look white and thick enough?? Should I toss on some scrap tire?
j7umQ9gl.jpg

Injection making. This is 2 quarts. I think I went overboard, but we'll see if I can get it all in there :-D
Gw9SQ1Rl.jpg

4XIpECnl.jpg

bnoDkJVl.jpg

8FeL8lml.jpg

Running hot or cold. One of these temp has to be right.....right??
jD7JZdil.jpg

So the answer to can a turkey take 2 full quarts of injection is, YES! I gave it all of it and it took it well :becky: (what are we talking about again......:confused:). Turkey's can really hold on to so much injection. almost none dripped into the pan. So we'll see later if I over did it.
QqaKqXKl.jpg

Look at the skin bubbling up from the injection :-D. Gave the one wing rigor mortis as it was so full it wanted to give me a high five :clap2:
0wOsPC3l.jpg

yLtwOR2l.jpg

30D01Ssl.jpg

Can't hardly wait to see this one on the plate.

About 2.5hrs in here and covered to stop the color
2r3yL0Sl.jpg

tJD3diol.jpg

Vx5ciKxl.jpg

Straining the liquid and eating the organs. Really good with some rub on them
YszUPZNl.jpg

8iwGDWOl.jpg

c3qv8q7l.jpg

PZBcGOcl.jpg

Adding in the pulled meat off the neck and spine and also added in a little hoisin sauce to the gravy
bEVne7Kl.jpg

yLFqQEgl.jpg

t007P0Dl.jpg

GlXS9qKl.jpg

And if drinking gravy from a glass while babysitting a toddler watching Bubble Guppies is wrong......I don't want to be right :becky:. Pants optional on Sundays at our house :twitch:
9tfzpjWl.jpg

Should be about done! Looks really tasty.
Those pickles are really good out of the jar - wonder how they are fried??

Should be about done! Looks really tasty.
Those pickles are really good out of the jar - wonder how they are fried??

I haven't fried these before, but have done other "spicy" brands that were great. So looking forward to these.

Jason that looks delicious! I haven't touched the WSM for a while, I would hate to play the "wonder what it looks like after 6 months game". I just show a lot of love to my vertical offset now a days. I wish I could unload the WSM and brinkmann on someone for dirt cheap! It's taking up space here LOL.

Looks like a great dinner to me!

You're having a great Sunday!

Great color on the bird. Pants very much optional these days at our place.

Neighbors keep giving me strange looks, but whatever...

Enjoy!

Back