THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well, i just saw the stubbs briquettes at lowes. 15 lb bag for 8.47. i think at this time i will stick to my ro 18.5 ln bag at 5.99 for now. some prices are just to much.

I found it a Lowe's and cooked some Burgers & sides on the kettle. Worked well.Tasted good.

The briquettes seem heavier than some of the others, like Kingsford competition.

swamprb....:)-

Now this is JUST MY OWN OPINION, but the bags of ANY kind of fuel is all funky:arrow: They all taste like lighter fluid-YUK! and the lump stuff is always so broken-up ,I can't get enough pieces together to make a good bed of coals.
So, I use real wood(Hick.,Maple,Oak,Apple, what ever) then pre-burn it and add to my SFB. Easy heat control and light blue smoke(TBS).
Suppose I'll get another black mark for that statement, but oh,well:!:

HAPPY SMOKES
Stan aka Old School BBQ

Now this is JUST MY OWN OPINION, but the bags of ANY kind of fuel is all funky:arrow: They all taste like lighter fluid-YUK! and the lump stuff is always so broken-up ,I can't get enough pieces together to make a good bed of coals.
So, I use real wood(Hick.,Maple,Oak,Apple, what ever) then pre-burn it and add to my SFB. Easy heat control and light blue smoke(TBS).

HAPPY SMOKES
Stan aka Old School BBQ

Is someone handing out black marks?

I wish I had time to make my own charcoal-life just gets in the way.

HAPPY SMOKES
Stan aka Old School BBQ

I'd give you a green tile for that one! There are many surplus green tiles from a different website...just kidding...You are entitled to feel that way. I've sorta tried that with my SnP myself. But lump and good briquettes don't seem to taste of petroleum to me if started w/paper in the chimney. So glad I found these forums to teach me that!
Kitch
ps. HI WESLEY (RangerJ)

I really like this stuff. For the 7 lb flat yesterday I cooked yesterday I filled the charcoal ring with roughly half the bag. This morning when I checked the WSM it still had easily 3/4 usable charcoal left and almost no ash in the bowl. I shook out the small pieces and the ash then threw a large chicken on about 11:30 without adding anymore charcoal, just one big piece of pecan, and it's chugging right along at 250. I paid $8.47 for a 15 lb bag at Lowes. I figure I used less than $2 worth for the brisket and the same or a little less for the chicken. Pretty cost efficient. I may have a new favorite charcoal now.

I picked up a bag at Lowe's. The only problem was I forgot what a fuel hog my Char Griller was. I filled up the charcoal basket, which took a little over half the bag. I ended up using the whole bag plus some RO lump. It didn't have that awful Kingsford smell. I got over 4 hours burn on the initial load. I manged to go through the entire smoke without dumping the ash pan. I have never done that with K.

I got a bag at Lowe's and plan to use it on my new Fat Boy that should arrive mid-week. I stocked up on Wicked Good, so I can compare the two.

I plan on trying it out tomorrow w/ a 8# Brisket.

I picked up my bag at Lowes in Ohio. It was $8.47 a bag, but I get 10% off .

I also picked up a Weber Charcoal Chimney so I can give up the Lighter Fluid.

Looks like folks have had good results, I will see how it works for me.

:icon_cool

Stubbs in a BGE

I cooked ribs on the WSM with Stubbs and was impressed with the, taste, burn time and quality of the powdery white ash that was left.

Yesterday I got to thinking it might work in the Big Green Egg so tried it with a tRex steak and it worked very well leaving a very fine white powder ash. I let the Egg warm up about an hour before putting the steak in.

I know everyone, including BGE, says use lump only in the Egg, but I am now thinking that the Stubbs is worth some serious consideration.

Anyone else try it in an Egg yet?

***Ashamed to admit it-but yes!***

I cooked ribs on the WSM with Stubbs and was impressed with the, taste, burn time and quality of the powdery white ash that was left.

Yesterday I got to thinking it might work in the Big Green Egg so tried it with a tRex steak and it worked very well leaving a very fine white powder ash. I let the Egg warm up about an hour before putting the steak in.

I know everyone, including BGE, says use lump only in the Egg, but I am now thinking that the Stubbs is worth some serious consideration.

Anyone else try it in an Egg yet?

I have, but I wasn't cooking anything. I had some leftover from a WSM cook and emptied the bag @ 25 or so briqs in my cracked Egg to cure the gasket, and was pretty impressed at how long they lasted. Couple days later it had burnt down to nothing. Real fine ash, I'd likely use Stubb's or Comp K indirect on an Egg-I don't see what the big deal is? I clean them out every cook anyway. I was using briqs in my Kamado for years to grill before I knew about lump. I had used Wicked Good briqs to grill in my K without any problem.

Back