THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your vent set up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man. I'm so fascinated by Shirleys. They look unique and different from anything else on the market, and I know for a fact they cook amazing food

We’ve gone from this…

To spending $25,000 to study smoke (if true, that’s where two fools met) all trying to achieve the same thing.

Then we have cigarette smoke drawn from 10', in open air? Video or it didn’t happen.

If I could make a wager, the open pit food and experience would rival anything today.

Ok y’all keep arguing, this has been good reading!

I've said it before in the past(and got hammered) seems like a grand time to drop it again

"Real barbecue requires a shovel"

With my Big Phil's 24x60, airflow can be controlled via the firebox door and the stack damper on the 6-inch diameter stack. When maintaining 250 to 275 degrees in the cook chamber, I typically run the stack damper all the way open and crack the firebox door open only about 3/8 inch (sometimes a bit less or more). This tends to keep the cook chamber very consistent, and smoke flavor in the meat is clean and prominent.

If I open the firebox door to Phil's "preset" position, it flows a lot more air and burns more wood, and the temperatures often want to fluctuate more as splits go through the burn cycle. When the firebox door is open significantly wider than the "preset" position, some of the hot air from the fire starts to vent out the firebox door gap since the top of the firebox door is higher than the opening between the firebox and cook chamber. I consider this a feature not a bug since it provides a way to dump a portion of the heat if I want to instead of sending it to the cook chamber.

Was over at the Outlaw Smokers web site and they are in the "adjust the exhaust" camp:

"Once you can manage the fire using only the exhaust damper, you can start to fine tune the fire by adjusting the intake damper. There is no right or wrong fire as long as your exhaust is clean smoke and you are running the pit at your preferred temp. Ideally, the exhaust damper is not wide open as this will give you no variance to cool down the fire if needed."

https://outlawpatio.com/

Was over at the Outlaw Smokers web site and they are in the "adjust the exhaust" camp:

"Once you can manage the fire using only the exhaust damper, you can start to fine tune the fire by adjusting the intake damper. There is no right or wrong fire as long as your exhaust is clean smoke and you are running the pit at your preferred temp. Ideally, the exhaust damper is not wide open as this will give you no variance to cool down the fire if needed."

https://outlawpatio.com/

Jambo is in the same camp, his backyard smoker comes with the air gap on the firebox door preadjusted from the factory & you use the stack to regulate temp.

As many others.... All open unless I get a really hot stick or mess up and have to slow its roll. I adjust that by closing exhausts a bit, for a bit.

Now on my Shirley I only open one exhaust vent during a cook. I have found with that I can run hot and fast but not have to add wood as much. So if I am using the warmer I open it and not the one on the main chamber. Gives me great temp differentials that way also. Run the Lang the same way, albeit more finicky.

sandro said:
Man. I'm so fascinated by Shirleys. They look unique and different from anything else on the market, and I know for a fact they cook amazing food

I know everyone is into traditional Texas-style offsets these days. Heck, Paul is even making them now, but the Shirley RF design is fantastic. My Shirley RF is the best cooker I have ever cooked on (and that list ain't short).

Back