Rotisserie Rump Roast: Suggestions?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

Ok, I've done rump and chuck roasts as "pot roasts" before, no problem.

BUT, I was seeing them on sale here $2.99/lb....and I have my BGE still set up from last cook with my rotisserie rig.

Is there any good way to rotisserie a Rump Roast? What type temps, etc would I look for?

I was thinking of seasoning it well with salt, pepper, granulated garlic/onion...maybe some dried rosemary and/or oregano....maybe rub it with a bit of olive oil first to make it stick.

But I'm just not sure temperature wise how to treat this...I was thinking to build my coal bed to one side of the spit as usual....so trying to keep the temps in the 220-230F range for the cook. Maybe throw a wood chunk or two in there.

I just got a set of the MEATER BT/WiFi probes (the block)....and would like to monitor the progress.....but I"m just not sure how to treat this...do I got rarer, or does this need to cook through and break down...?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.....especially if you deal with a rump roast outside of just doing it pot roast style where your braise it in liquid.

cayenne

I've used my rotisserie on my Weber to cook chuck roast and brisket point. Along with all sorts of pork and poultry.

You can make your fire hotter than 250 but don't let it climb above 350. That's my opinion. Maybe start it lower and let the temps rise at the end to crust it up a bit. Assuming that you intend to slice your roast, I'd spin it to around 190 degrees. But I'm not sure that a rump roast has as much fat as a chuck. If that's right, you can probably pull it off at 170 to slice. Come to think of it, that's how I do arm roast. It's a leaner roast cut from the chuck.

Good luck and have fun. And take pics.

Thank you!

I've used my rotisserie on my Weber to cook chuck roast and brisket point. Along with all sorts of pork and poultry.

You can make your fire hotter than 250 but don't let it climb above 350. That's my opinion. Maybe start it lower and let the temps rise at the end to crust it up a bit. Assuming that you intend to slice your roast, I'd spin it to around 190 degrees. But I'm not sure that a rump roast has as much fat as a chuck. If that's right, you can probably pull it off at 170 to slice. Come to think of it, that's how I do arm roast. It's a leaner roast cut from the chuck.

Good luck and have fun. And take pics.

Ok thanks!!

I think I'll give it a shot...the price is right for sure, so, even if I fsck it up a bit...no huge loss.

:)

Thank you very much for your input!!!

cayenne

ps. Any other suggestions out there?

Hi all,

Ok, I've done rump and chuck roasts as "pot roasts" before, no problem.

BUT, I was seeing them on sale here $2.99/lb....and I have my BGE still set up from last cook with my rotisserie rig.

Is there any good way to rotisserie a Rump Roast? What type temps, etc would I look for?

I was thinking of seasoning it well with salt, pepper, granulated garlic/onion...maybe some dried rosemary and/or oregano....maybe rub it with a bit of olive oil first to make it stick.

But I'm just not sure temperature wise how to treat this...I was thinking to build my coal bed to one side of the spit as usual....so trying to keep the temps in the 220-230F range for the cook. Maybe throw a wood chunk or two in there.

I just got a set of the MEATER BT/WiFi probes (the block)....and would like to monitor the progress.....but I"m just not sure how to treat this...do I got rarer, or does this need to cook through and break down...?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.....especially if you deal with a rump roast outside of just doing it pot roast style where your braise it in liquid.

cayenne

I've done this. Your suggestions sound good.
I used red oak with fire behind spit and drag some embers to front of spit so it gets heat from 2 directions. I used a Meater probe which said ambient was 190, but the probe is rotating around heat and I don't believe this reading. Feeling with my hand, temp was more like 275-300.
You can put a narrow drip pan directly under spit to collect drippings.
It cooked for about 2 hours to IT about 135-140. I would not cook over 140/145 or it'll be overcooked. I seared it afterward but it didn't really need it, and I think the searing made the outer part too done.
Turned out very juicy and tasty.

P1050146.jpg

P1050171.jpg

The 3# rump roasts I have done are very lean. I will sometimes marinate it overnight. I like them on my weber kettle reverse seared. Smoke indirect with coals on one side of grill with some wood chunks...fire not too hot 300F-ish to 115F or so...take lid off kettle, stoke up the coals, and sear all sides to 130-135F. Rest on counter for 1 hour...fridge overnight...slice thin...very good!

Rotisserie will be good.

Back