THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That is a thing of beauty. You nailed it man. I would've been stressing big time.
No stress cooking this one. I stressed before hand but I was able to let all that go when I found a cooker to use. Of course last week the gang here helped out immensely last week as I was looking for advice on this cook.
If you are every stressed the Brethren here can relieve a lot of it with their advice and experience. Great place to hang, have fun and learn.

Whats does your problem (Your CORRECT impressions of doneness conflicting with what the customer wants or enjoys) have to do with my predicament with Fajitas. Below will be my advice on this little bit of catering self professing prophecy.
Thanks forthe advice, but you misunderstood my comment. I thought it had been over cooked as you can see in the one picture. I had to zoom shot it from about 20 feet away. But it was the light coming through the tarp and the light from the heat lamps that made it look so undesireable. In reality it was nicely done, with medium well at the shank and then medium and medium rare at the top and bottom rounds.

As for the the fajitas, I refuse to comment. I am not gonna highjack my own thread.:becky:

I will look for your thread on the subject and then chime in with an idea or two but it will be ideas only and not from practical experience.

Melting garlic sounds great, but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Help?
Thanks.

It is essentially slow roasted garlic in olive oil. The recipe belongs to A.P. Lang, and is in his book " Serious Barbeque". I am a little reluctant to post the recipe here since the man makes part of his living selling his recipes via his books.

The book is well worth the price and I highly recommend it!

Glad everything worked out! That was an impressive hunka beef you cooked there.

Thanks Guerre .... get you a hunk and along with Phub we will start the Steamship Round of Beef Society!

What happened to you at MIM. I didn't see you there again this year.

It is essentially slow roasted garlic in olive oil. The recipe belongs to A.P. Lang, and is in his book " Serious Barbeque". I am a little reluctant to post the recipe here since the man makes part of his living selling his recipes via his books.

Agreed. For anyone that doesn't have it, buy a copy and you won't be sorry. The recipes can be pretty involved, but he layers flavors like no one else I've seen. My culinary skills have improved drmatically since I bought it.

We were sick as a dog that weekend. Michele found out she had pneumonia and I had an upper respiratory infection. Missed you too!

Sorry to here that, but better that than a victim of the flooding. Well as the saying goes, "next year, next year in the Holy Land."

This is not the brethren way. :p

I commit I will go to Borders, grab a coffee... set the damn coffee right down on the book to hold it open, staining the page in the process STEAL the recipe and then I will POST it in a thread on this forum after adding one extra ingredient or changing the time by five minutes... call it by a new name and call it my own creation.... exactly just as the white man has been doing in the realm of r and b and soul and funk and rock since .... Gershwin right on through Bill Haley and to the Stones!

Steal a brutha's funk and make it our own they say!

This is not the brethren way. :p

I commit I will go to Borders, grab a coffee... set the damn coffee right down on the book to hold it open, staining the page in the process STEAL the recipe and then I will POST it in a thread on this forum after adding one extra ingredient or changing the time by five minutes... call it by a new name and call it my own creation.... exactly just as the white man has been doing in the realm of r and b and soul and funk and rock since .... Gershwin right on through Bill Haley and to the Stones!

Steal a brutha's funk and make it our own they say!

Snark? Moi?

Thanks for the info on Lang's "Serious Barbecue"...I'll get myself a copy. I forgot to mention earlier how beautiful your Steamboat Round turned out. Beautiful!

Well I finally made it up to Vermilion Ohio for my friends wedding. I want to thank all of you that chimed in when I was looking for advice on cooking the Steamship Round but also those who helped me locate a cooker.

On Thursday, I picked up the joint of beef at the Restaurant Depot on the outskirts of Cleveland. It weighed in at 56.7lbs and rang up at $2.29/lb. I neglected to take any pics of her nekkid, but I did get pics of her after she was dressed in her skimpy outfit of garlic cloves and rub.

DSCF1018.jpg

The cooker I ended up renting on Friday did not have a spit rotisserie, it had a basket style rotisserie.

DSCF1019.jpg

Also since I had never used this cooker I dropped in about 10lbs of Royal Oak and did a test run to see how well she came up and held temp. This was a critical step and I highly recommend this to anyone who ends up in a similar situation. I learned quite a bit during this practice burn and it served me very well for the cook on Saturday. For instance I learned that there was quite a difference in the heat distribution from the top of the basket to the bottom of the basket.

DSCF1032.jpg

I unfortunately had to cut along the 'gam' in order to get the meat to wrap around the center shaft and remain more or less balanced. I almost wept as I made the incision. I pulled out my butcher's twine and performed a little cosmetic surgery to help close up the gash.

DSCF1020.jpg

After I got her trussed and in the basket I dusted and gently rubbed her with a liberal amount of ground black pepper.

DSCF1021.jpg

Here she is showing her more trim profile

DSCF1023.jpg

She went back into the walk-in until the following morning.

On Saturday I arrived onsite at a little after 6am and started to get going. I built a small fire in the cooker and put the meat on at 7am when the temperature was at 200*.

DSCF1025.jpg

I smoked her at approximately 220* from 7 till 11am. This what she looked at 11am.

DSCF1033.jpg

At this time I also added more charcoal and opened her up to get the temp up to 350*. I 'mopped' her with a little mop sauce I made up at 11am, noon, 1, 2, and 3pm.

Here she is at the 2pm check in.

DSCF1034.jpg

I pulled her at 3 and set her in an Alto Sham to rest till serving time at 6:30.

DSCF1041.jpg

After all I did have a dozen birds to smoke up and needed to get them on as well. I also borrowed A.P. Lang's recipe for melting garlic and had to get that going as well.

Here she is on the buffet line just before serving time.

DSCF1048.jpg

The pan closest to the front has a BBQ Au Jus I concocted from the drippings, BBQ Sauce, butter and a little bit of Beam. It was quite tasty. The big round pan has the Melting Garlic.

DSCF1047.jpg

You can see some of the smoked chicken under the acrylic dome on the right. I smoked whole birds and then split them into quarters for serving.

DSCF1046.jpg

In truth I was a bit disappointed as I looked at her being carved up. People were raving about how good it was. But I thought she was over done. She looked grey and dry. I managed a slice and wondered how could something this grey and dull taste so wonderful.

DSCF1049.jpg

Boy was I wrong. this is what she looked like after coming off the serving line.

DSCF1054.jpg

I guess the combination of blue tarp and the heat lamp really played tricks with the colour meat as it was being cut.

Should be soup, stew and shepherd's pie enough for this week. Not to mention bones enough for several dogs.

I will gladly do more of these if asked. It was tasty, tender and received high praise from everyone, including the restaurant staff.

Got a guestimate on your finished yield? Did you lose 50% after cooking
and carving?

Back