Stainless steel vs metal grate

Man, this is a real dumb question but I see those upgrades options for several custom smoker builds. What exactly are you getting? Grates like a Weber?

Just pay the extra for the difference in cost for the stainless ONLY....fab of stainless steel isn't any different, execpt welding...

In other words...don't let someone charge you $400 difference when it's really only $100 difference in metal costs.

Welding isn't all that different either. Different wire and different gas, but if they do enough with stainless they should have the consumables already.

Man, this is a real dumb question but I see those upgrades options for several custom smoker builds. What exactly are you getting? Grates like a Weber?

I would assume expanded stainless to replace expanded plain steel. Welding together bar stock into grates would get expensive fast.

The only valuable input I can add to this is that I'm still cooking on a steel grate on a 1979 Weber kettle that gets regular use. If cost is an issue, regular use is important, there are many here who talk about replacing grates much younger than mine.

I would assume expanded stainless to replace expanded plain steel. Welding together bar stock into grates would get expensive fast.

I would check with the manufacturer to clarify if the stainless grate is made as expanded sheet material, or if its made out of rods. Cleaning expanded steel is doable, but its a pain if you want to get it real clean. It also tears up whatever you are using to clean it (aluminum foil balls included)

I wish they offered the option of mild steel grates made of rods on mine. Or even tiny square stock like on the offset that was being sold at Costco.

Edit: Peorias stainless option was made of individually welded SS rods, and it definitly was much more expensive (if I recall, it was around a 400 dollar upcharge)

Not exactly on the topic... I originally ordered a stainless steel shelf on my LSG vertical offset. It was a $250 option. I later change my mind and put the money into an insulated firebox which was an added cost of $595. (grandkid fingers, etc) I have found I do not have to clean my shelf, I merely wrap up the aluminum foil that I wrap on the shelf. As to stainless steel grates, they are wonderful on a grill but, in my opinion, of relatively little value in a smoker. Looks nice and all when new but is what else? If you use your smoker and cook in it, keep it seasoned, you just are not going to have rusting grates. But... it is all for fun..get what you want and enjoy it.

Back