Stainless steel vs metal grate

Ruben Cortinas

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Nature Boy
Hello
I am new to the forum and just placed an order for a Lone Star 24/60 offset pipe smoker. It won't be ready till October so I have some time to add an extra feature. I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages were of upgrading the main 2 grates to the stainless steel option. I am new to a stick burner and long slow cooks so any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

My 1997 Lang uses regular expanded steel grates. They can rust a bit and need to be cleaned and seasoned but they are no where close to rusting out after a full 20 years so longevity shouldn't be an issue. Stainless will resist rust and be a bit lower maintenance.

Don't know what LSG charges for stainless upgrade but stainless prices are about 3 times the price of regular....

not that it's going to be a big difference nominally.....maybe $100 max and that's probably being generous.....

Hello
I am new to the forum and just placed an order for a Lone Star 24/60 offset pipe smoker. It won't be ready till October so I have some time to add an extra feature. I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages were of upgrading the main 2 grates to the stainless steel option. I am new to a stick burner and long slow cooks so any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Congrats on your order Ruben! I'm hoping to place an LSG order and it's a matter of what and when as well as Wife approval. I've been eyeing the exact same rig. I'm hoping to go single door with counterweight and insulated firebox.

To finally answer your question, I'm a go full force kind of guy. In other words, if you've got the cash and you're debating what to do, I say go stainless and don't look back!!

Disadvantage for the stainless- much higher cost. Folk around here are big on the saying " buy once, cry once" - but SS is way out of most budgets. I think if they go ss grates, they go ss angle metal also - very pricey. But it's your budget.

Carbon steel 3/4 #9 expando is pretty tuff stuff. Don't let it rust-keep it seasoned and you will be a happy camper.

My LSG cabinet came with angle iron wrapped expanded metal cooking grates. SS grates were not an option. A few months later they came out with the SS grates as standard equipment in their IVS units. I ordered a set and will say right here today that the stainless grates are worth every penny of the extra cost as long as you can afford them. Cleanup takes maybe 1/4 of the time and the stainless will never rust.

Just ask Chris at LSG. He will tell you that for your offset that it is just not worth it or needed. The insulated cooker that he makes are different. Your grates in the offset once seasoned and you do a few cooks are pretty much rust proof.

I think he charges 16 cents sq. foot. He talked me out of it almost immediately. And so will Amber.

Just in general SS will be much easier to clean. Over the life of the smoker that time would easily be worth the additional cost to me.

I would just with the standard grates and spend the money on other options , the stock ones will last forever if you keep them sprayed with Pam every 10 cooks .

I have had cookers with both. I will NEVER have anything but Stainless grates ever again. That's just me...... Easier to clean, no rust, absorbs heat well...... Just the convience of them makes them worth every dime. If you have the money. Get the stainless ans don't look back. You be happy you did. JMHO

Hello
Thanks

My gasser has 1/4" SS grates. Once they reach temp, nothing sticks, not even burgers. I cant even begin to rave about how grate (pun intended) it is to get amazing grill marks on any meat without worry about flipping too soon. I keep hearing this word rust, whats rust?

Thanks for the advise, I am going big once since the wife is ok with, I'm going to add the ss grate. I chose the single door, 1/2 box with fire assistant. I can't wait to get it in the back yard and enjoy it.

Make sure you get a thick guage. Its pointless to spend the extra $$$ for a thin guage if its just going to break down from heat. I had this issue with that amaze n pellet smoker tray. The listing said SS but that thing lasted less then a year before both ends ended up breaking down from hitting it with the blow torch for the recommended 60 seconds. I will never buy that garbage again.

Thanks for the advise, I am going big once since the wife is ok with, I'm going to add the ss grate. I chose the single door, 1/2 box with fire assistant. I can't wait to get it in the back yard and enjoy it.

I am excited for you Ruben. Please post updates as I may be getting a very similar unit soon

Just in general SS will be much easier to clean. Over the life of the smoker that time would easily be worth the additional cost to me.

That's my attitude too. But if you don't mind the maintenance, nothing wrong with the other route either.

I like to steam clean the grates in my offset smoker (just spray down the entire interior of the smoking chamber with a hose at the end of a cook) and stainless just makes that much easier for overall cleanup. It should only cost you about $100 for the upgrade so I think it's worth it and especially so in more humid climates.

Just pay the extra for the difference in cost for the stainless ONLY....fab of stainless steel isn't any different, execpt welding...

In other words...don't let someone charge you $400 difference when it's really only $100 difference in metal costs.

Back