Spritzing: Not buying that it makes any difference

I fill up a large spray bottle with either beer or bourbon...when ever my throat gets dry waiting for my smoker to finish cooking ribs....I spritz a little right in my mouth.

Usually by the time the food gets done...I have a nice sheen too!

I actually do spritz with bourbon. (usually mixed with a little ACV.) I don't know if it does anything to the moisture, but I LOVE the flavor of bourbon.

I may try an experiment and have 2 racks, one with a spritz and one without to see if there is any noticeable difference.

I fill up a large spray bottle with either beer or bourbon...when ever my throat gets dry waiting for my smoker to finish cooking ribs....I spritz a little right in my mouth.

Usually by the time the food gets done...I have a nice sheen too!

You have just persuaded me to resume spritzing after a 20-year hiatus . . . that’s what I love about this site: the sharing of new techniques!

I also dont see any benefit to spritzing, furthermore It really bugs me when I see a guy pour the extra marinade over the meat on the grill. It does nothing but make a big mess in the cooker.

Spritzing makes a difference. The bark is thinner when spritzed. Cook times increase and bark formation is slowed down. The bark will not be as developed. It helps. I typically dont worry about spritzing. The thing is it works but the more tender meat imo is from bark not being as developed. It doesnt help moisture. Just prevents thick bark from forming. Martenelli's apple juice as a spritz adds flavor and keeps the bark from becoming over developed. Foil works better. Spritzing works in a pinch.

For the record, I don't spritz. Maybe a little when I was younger, but as I got older it became less and less frequent and now it hardly ever happens.

One aspect of spritzing that's being completely disregarded in this post is the science of smoke. Smoke sticks better to meat that's moist, so spritzing can enhance the smoke flavor of the meat. Other than that, I never noticed a difference.

After reading through the replies in this thread I’ve developed a hatred for the word spritz.

Never bothered me before. I think I’m also starting to inadvertently judge and stereotype admitted “spritzers”, even though I was guilty for years.

One aspect of spritzing that's being completely disregarded in this post is the science of smoke. Smoke sticks better to meat that's moist, so spritzing can enhance the smoke flavor of the meat. Other than that, I never noticed a difference.

I guess that would rely heavily on the amount spritzed. A very light Spritz and that would help. Over-spritzing...wouldn't that wash off the smoke flavor?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess that would rely heavily on the amount spritzed. A very light Spritz and that would help. Over-spritzing...wouldn't that wash off the smoke flavor?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Now, we both know that your not gonna get the smoke off your pit by using water, unless you have a wire brush too......

You know who does spritz?

Aaron Franklin

I can name a few other bbq celebrities who do. I'm sure you can name some that don't, probably even more than do. I find it's not how many but who. Most renowned brisket cook in the world or a bbq cookbook author. Both are credible.

Steven Raichlen still tells people to soak wood chips. Even the professionals can get stuck in a rut. :wink:

Steven Raichlen still tells people to soak wood chips. Even the professionals can get stuck in a rut. :wink:

I am sure Aaron will be sure to change what he has been doing all these years if you will just give him a call......

most of his science come from greg blonder who is a scientist and phd

http://www.genuineideas.com/GEBBio/gebbio.html

and blonder is definitely NOT a hack

Blonder has a PhD, but it isn’t in cooking. Like any scientist, he is prone to getting garbage results if the test isn’t designed properly. Sometimes they have gotten it right, other times they have been way off.

I am sure Aaron will be sure to change what he has been doing all these years if you will just give him a call......

I tried but it went to voicemail. Apparently word of my accomplishments hasn't made it to south Texas. Maybe next week.

What you should you is...

Buy two pieces of meat, same size. Do everything the same for cooking except for spritzing one and not the other and see what happens. I have been only using water lately but in the past, I have used water/vinegar or water/vinegar/hotsauce.

I think spritzing evolved from open air BBQ using large hunks of meat. I believed the old timers used a mop and liquid to cool the outer surface allowing the inner to cook without burning the outside. The ACV and spices replaced any spices that would wash off with just H20.
It is not necessary with small chunks and closed pits.

Blonder has a PhD, but it isn’t in cooking. Like any scientist, he is prone to getting garbage results if the test isn’t designed properly. Sometimes they have gotten it right, other times they have been way off.

lol.

I believe you.

Pray, tell me, what kind of bbq testing have you done and where are those tests posted?

Back