Spritzing: Not buying that it makes any difference

Spritzing and mopping can add flavor and effect color. What's in a spritz matters, it needs alot of flavor to add anything noticeable.

Another tool in the kit and a way to layer in more flavors

I agree, depending upon your spritz, it can be another layer of flavor as Smoke Ninja pointed out. A big piece of meat will require substantial flavor to be added in the spritz to impact additional flavors.

Also, if for no other reason, I spritz with apple juice to give a very pleasing finishing sheen on pork that the crowd stands in awe over as it glistens in the light.

Also, if for no other reason, I spritz with apple juice to give a very pleasing finishing sheen on pork that the crowd stands in awe over as it glistens in the light.

THIS. My last brisket (yes, the guest towel one) was a no spritz cook and it looked like it came out of a bull’s ass.

Also, if for no other reason, I spritz with apple juice to give a very pleasing finishing sheen on pork that the crowd stands in awe over as it glistens in the light.[/QUOTE]

This made me LOL..

Spritz/mop/dip/etc is a huge difference maker in my cook. It's kind of a different animal cooking in an open pit, though. I can go without but the result is very different. On an offset it is less of an issue, but still adds significant flavor to the bark, bc my spritz is pretty intensely flavored.

I rarely spritz or mop on the offset. I tried a few different experiments and didn’t feel it was offering much flavor wise that couldn’t be accomplished in the rub, marinade or sauce.

What it does do is cool the meat and slow it down. The juices from the meat evaporating cause the stall, and likewise we can cause our own mini stalls with a spritz. This can come in handy if you want to pull something hot off the smoker at a specific time, and it is cooking a bit faster than plan. Cooking too fast, spritz and lower the temp. Cooking too slow, wrap and raise the temp.

I rarely spritz or mop on the offset. I tried a few different experiments and didn’t feel it was offering much flavor wise that couldn’t be accomplished in the rub, marinade or sauce.

What it does do is cool the meat and slow it down. The juices from the meat evaporating cause the stall, and likewise we can cause our own mini stalls with a spritz. This can come in handy if you want to pull something hot off the smoker at a specific time, and it is cooking a bit faster than plan. Cooking too fast, spritz and lower the temp. Cooking too slow, wrap and raise the temp.

Interesting take. I respectfully disagree on spritzing slowing down the cook.

If anything, opening the cooker will slow the cook. The evaporation off the surface takes place within a minute or two, and will not effect the slow and steady rising internal temp within a thick piece of meat, IMO. Opening the door of the cooker will, however. So maybe in the end i do agree with you, spritzing does slow the cook.

Never spritzed before until my last cook. Didn’t see any benefit of it. I also use a rub. I think some who don’t rub, spritz for that beautiful color.

I like to spritz my ribs, I just make sure my spritz has plenty of apple juices, honey and spices. The water definitely evaporates quickly but will leave behind the sugar and spices (and every nice... hehe) in the bark at the end leaving a nice colored thick bark! I usually sprits once every 30mins and my spares still take around 6 hours to cook, I just get in and get out quickly. That’s what works for me! You also get the added bonus of seeing the meat once in awhile :D

I have found that spritzing keeps the bark from turning too dark or scorching when running hot or when it is close to the fire.

I find though, that if you have good technique that a spritz isn't necessary.

Interesting take. I respectfully disagree on spritzing slowing down the cook.

If anything, opening the cooker will slow the cook. The evaporation off the surface takes place within a minute or two, and will not effect the slow and steady rising internal temp within a thick piece of meat, IMO. Opening the door of the cooker will, however. So maybe in the end i do agree with you, spritzing does slow the cook.

Look up how many BTU’s it takes to increase the temp of water, vs how many it takes to convert it from liquid to steam. It is a very significant and why a cook can stall for hours as contracting muscle fibers push out liquid. The recovery time from opening the door will vary smoker to smoker, but a high airflow stick burner made from heavy steel will recover very quickly.

I fill up a large spray bottle with either beer or bourbon...when ever my throat gets dry waiting for my smoker to finish cooking ribs....I spritz a little right in my mouth.

Usually by the time the food gets done...I have a nice sheen too!

Have you done any A/B testing to compare the amount and quality of the sheen you get from beer vs bourbon?:mrgreen:

Look up how many BTU’s it takes to increase the temp of water, vs how many it takes to convert it from liquid to steam. It is a very significant and why a cook can stall for hours as contracting muscle fibers push out liquid. The recovery time from opening the door will vary smoker to smoker, but a high airflow stick burner made from heavy steel will recover very quickly.

I cook on a Lang 84 as well, the thick steel def holds well.

Fair enough on your point, whatever works for you and I have no doubt it does. I still disagree, Not seeing how required BTU’s to heat water vs evaporation impacts internal moisture getting pushed out of meat. Spritzing exclusively impacts the exterior and should have largely no bearing on the interior cooking process. Bark formation doesn’t impact said internal moisture expulsion. In my experience the cook time/moisture has been the same.

I reiterate I’m not bashing anyone’s method, i did it for 10 years. It doesn’t hurt anything. I just don’t think it helps either.

Apple juice. Apple juice concentrate. Vinegar brown sugar mixes. I’ve tried them all.

Aside from subtly, if at all, impacting the flavor of the bark- I see zero benefit. The old saying “it keeps the meat moist” seems like BS to me. How does periodically spritzing impact the moisture of the internal meat? Bark forms whether you spritz or not, so the bark formation protecting meat from drying out, if that’s your belief, takes place regardless of spritzing.

I’ve recently stopped spritzing brisket, shoulders, chickens, ribs, etc. I see no positive benefit for the hassle (even though it’s a small one).

I know others wholeheartedly disagree. I’m curious as to the logic against mine. Thoughts?

I mopped and spritzed for years. Some of my early recipes called for mopping every 30 min. Which is a lot on a 12-14 hour cook. Particularly when you live on the 3rd floor and your cooker is in the drive.

Over the years, however, I always spritzed or mopped anyway, only to watch it run straight off the meat and onto the bottom of the cooker.

So one day I weighed the lack of any significant observable effect against the time, effort, and mess of doing it and have never spritzed or mopped again. If I need moisture, I’ll use a water pan. But, hey, for those who find it makes a difference, go for it — I Just never found that difference.

I mopped and spritzed for years. Some of my early recipes called for mopping every 30 min. Which is a lot on a 12-14 hour cook. Particularly when you live on the 3rd floor and your cooker is in the drive.

Over the years, however, I always spritzed or mopped anyway, only to watch it run straight off the meat and onto the bottom of the cooker.

So one day I weighed the lack of any significant observable effect against the time, effort, and mess of doing it and have never spritzed or mopped again. If I need moisture, I’ll use a water pan. But, hey, for those who find it makes a difference, go for it — I Just never found that difference.

Well said.

Apple juice. Apple juice concentrate. Vinegar brown sugar mixes. I’ve tried them all.

Aside from subtly, if at all, impacting the flavor of the bark- I see zero benefit. The old saying “it keeps the meat moist” seems like BS to me. How does periodically spritzing impact the moisture of the internal meat? Bark forms whether you spritz or not, so the bark formation protecting meat from drying out, if that’s your belief, takes place regardless of spritzing.

I’ve recently stopped spritzing brisket, shoulders, chickens, ribs, etc. I see no positive benefit for the hassle (even though it’s a small one).

I know others wholeheartedly disagree. I’m curious as to the logic against mine. Thoughts?

I wholeheartedly agree.

If the greasy fat on and in the meat does not keep it moist, spritzing it with some apple juice sure wont do anything.

Back