THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have a small spice. It has done well for us but it is small. The medium is a great size for comps. Ours holds temp great. After talking with other teams that use FEC, they say they don't get as good smoke taste as with our spice.

I use an inverter hooked to my RV house batteries with my FEC. I have had 5 or 6 power failures this year and they didn't affect the smoker at all. (In fact the only problem is realizing the power IS out...everything just keeps on going.)

The Duracell power pack works well too, but make sure it's fully charged when you start, as the little power supply that comes with it will not recharge the battery as fast as the FEC will draw it down. Fully charged it will run the cooker all weekend.

SPICEWINE!
I have cooked on several. Have recomenneded to several and they love them.

Ours holds temp like a champ! Medium is plenty of room for a comp.

Great smoke! I use ours at home all the time.

And you can customize it to any color you want. The new paint / color options are awesome I understand.

Can't imagine using another!

OK, someone was telling me recently that the Spice was difficult to get above typical bbq temps.

the only way I see that happening is if your water pan is full (or the water is extremely cold) and you don't have enough fuel. I've run my large spicewine as high as 450*, water pan was nearly empty and the cooking chamber door was part open. Once the thing get's too hot, it's hard to bring down, even with the door open. This is my 4th year cooking on mine and can hold 225* in any temperature or weather condition just by adjusting the bottom dampers. Once you can 'dial it in' it's a dream to cook on.

I wouldn't give ya a dime and my Spicewine for a Backwoods! Isn't the Backwoods a knockoff version of a Spicewine? LOL! I'm just kidding! Seriously, I'm a Spicewine guy and it has obviously served us well over the six years we've owned and cooked on it at comps. Get great flavor, easy to clean, works well with water or without, charcoal AND wood combined give GREAT flavor to meats in this cooker. As noted, it is not easy to get the temps down if you lose control because of the insulation. But as a note, when the stick burners are struggling in bad weather to hold temps and get stuff finished, you'll just secretly grin and chuckle to yourself as you roll over and go back to sleep!

I wouldn't give ya a dime and my Spicewine for a Backwoods! Isn't the Backwoods a knockoff version of a Spicewine? LOL! I'm just kidding! Seriously, I'm a Spicewine guy and it has obviously served us well over the six years we've owned and cooked on it at comps. Get great flavor, easy to clean, works well with water or without, charcoal AND wood combined give GREAT flavor to meats in this cooker. As noted, it is not easy to get the temps down if you lose control because of the insulation. But as a note, when the stick burners are struggling in bad weather to hold temps and get stuff finished, you'll just secretly grin and chuckle to yourself as you roll over and go back to sleep!

To each there own. I just grin and chuckle when I see Spicewines, cause I know I have the better cooker. :laugh:

Thats said, if I had to choose between the FE and Spicewine, I'd pick the Spicewine.

What size Spicewine would you guys recommend catering a 150+ wedding doing butts and brisket? Also might be doing some fests next year and this one cooker that is on my radar.

FE..... not that the Spicewine is bad. Just cant really compare the 2. Different kind of cooking. Size and weight issues. And this whole thought that you dont get smoke flavor from a FE..... the judges tell me different. Not with comment cards but with trophies and checks... ;)

I have had great success with both and serious failures with both. There are huge pros and cons to both. FE can break, spicewine can get grease fires and a pain in the arse to clean. I have had all of the smokers and sizes. I was never able to get my spicewine to run for a day, but people claim they can. I like the charcoal flavor of the spice better. But the FE puts out a great consistent product. They are completely different cookers. I now cook in backwoods and its the same thing as the spicewine. Honestly price shop and just learn to cook on either.

I would like to offer you a chance on cooking on a FEC, and a Treager if you want.

I don't live that far from you, and if you like you can test drive a FEC on your own time, I just doing one more contest this year, it's all your's before I go to my contest in a couple months.

EDIT: pm me :)
double EDIT: I mean you can take it home,and test it :)

I have 2 FEC 500's and a 100, plus a Louisiana TG. I'm a confirmed pellet-head. BUT - I would not be at all afraid to compete on one of Jay's pits. They work great. He beat me with his earlier this year (but I beat a couple of them this year as well)....:rolleyes:. Buy what you like and learn to cook on it.

Just a clarification - Spicewines are NOT a pain to clean... pull out all racks, scrape and wipe burnt on grease (very little as I catch most of mine) and take racks to carwash or if you have a power washer, do them at home. Tuesday night, I started cleaning mine out at about 7:30 and by 8:20, I was done and that includes a trip to the carwash and back. Easy! All areas within the cooker are very accessible.

It is an extended longer version of the medium, more cooking space. Don't quote me as exact but a foot to a foot and half deeper for longer shelves so more capacity.

It's wider as well, a medium's rack is 17 x 24, a super medium's rack is 26 x 35. I can get 12 butts per rack if I need to on my super mediums. The big plus to a super medium is you can get 3 full hotel pans on each rack - 2 side by side plus one cross ways vs only one per rack on a medium.

Back