THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I’m going to buy a Fireboard to try to control the temp. Thinking if I light less charcoal and use a fan controller, it might use less charcoal.

On a side note, do briquettes usually smell bad when you’re using them in a smoker? I pour the bag of lump in the basket and light a few spots. The basket wasn’t full, so I added maybe 4 or 5 pounds of Ridge charcoal. When the area with the Ridge started to burn, it smelled bad. I usually light them in a chimney and don’t notice a funky smell. But my wife even came outside and said whatever I was burning smelled bad.

I’m on the fence about getting something else. My wife might lose her sh... stuff if I buy another cooker. And $1000 buys a lot of charcoal. Just something about spending almost as much on the charcoal as on the food rubs me the wrong way for small cooks. Maybe I need to try a temp controller on my Dancook kettle. It doesn’t have adjustable intake dampers, so I haven’t found it works well for smoking - only grilling so far. But maybe with the intake holes covered and a blower fan on one, I can get good stable temps.
The Marshall is a great smoker but does use a lot of charcoal. I've had mine for almost four years and have only used it about 3 or 4 times. I bought it because I got a great deal on it plus I thought I would be cooking for more of the family get togethers which didn't happen. I don't even use the Open Range much these days.

Most of the time I'm just cooking for the two of us so I use the PK 360, the M1, or the Hasty Bake Legacy the most. I do use the PBC occasionally as well.

Luckily my fiancée doesn't say too much about how many cookers I have or buy so that is a plus. Good luck on your decision.

Back