THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you are a closet spatchcocker?

I still haven't eaten the spatchcocked chickens that I cooked, but it was very easy to do, and it made it a lot easier to get seasoning on the "inside" of the chicken. the end result also looks cool on a platter.

(Charging to 200 ... CLEAR!!! We have a pulse, Dr!)

I'm considering doing my turkey butterflied, and I need to know if this cuts the 75-90 min/lb estimate significantly. I have a 17lb bird and with that estimate, I'll be cooking for 25+ hours. Was also wondering if the vertical turkey roasting would significantly reduce the time as well. Any help y'all can provide is greatly appreciated...

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm smoking a 19.5# for T-day. Normally that would take me about 10hrs @ 250* (30 mins per pound). But since I am gonna spatchcock it, I figured it would take less time but not sure how much less.

Definately will cut the time significantly.

I would take a guess that a spatchcocked 20# turkey would go for no longer than 6, maybe 7 hours, but I prefer temps around 275-300 for the bird.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm smoking a 19.5# for T-day. Normally that would take me about 10hrs @ 250* (30 mins per pound). But since I am gonna spatchcock it, I figured it would take less time but not sure how much less.

Waitaminute... *30* minutes/lbs??? I thought that was oven time at 450 or so. How are you getting the time down to 30/lb in your smoker?

scoffed from http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Lets_Talk_Turkey/index.asp

Best advice is adjust accordingly if your cooking at 250.

Timetables for Turkey Roasting
(325 °F oven temperature)

Use the timetables below to determine how long to cook your turkey. These times are approximate. Always use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of your turkey and stuffing.

Unstuffed
4 to 8 pounds (breast)1½ to 3¼ hours
8 to 12 pounds 2¾ to 3 hours
12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3¾ hours
14 to 18 pounds 3¾ to 4¼ hours
18 to 20 pounds 4¼ to 4½ hours
20 to 24 pounds 4½ to 5 hours

Stuffed
4 to 6 pounds (breast)Not usually applicable
6 to 8 pounds (breast) 2½ to 3½ hours
8 to 12 pounds 3 to 3½ hours
12 to 14 pounds 3½ to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds 4 to 4¼ hours
18 to 20 pounds 4¼ to 4¾ hours
20 to 24 pounds 4¾ to 5¼ hours

It is safe to cook a turkey from the frozen state. The cooking time will take at least 50 percent longer than recommended for a fully thawed turkey. Remember to remove the giblet packages during the cooking time. Remove carefully with tongs or a fork.

Optional Cooking Hints

• Tuck wing tips under the shoulders of the bird for more even cooking. This is referred to as "akimbo."
  • Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of the pan.
  • If your roasting pan does not have a lid, you may place a tent of heavy-duty aluminum foil over the turkey for the first 1 to 1 ½ hours. This allows for maximum heat circulation, keeps the turkey moist, and reduces oven splatter. To prevent overbrowning, foil may also be placed over the turkey after it reaches the desired color.
  • If using an oven-proof food thermometer, place it in the turkey at the start of the cooking cycle. It will allow you to check the internal temperature of the turkey while it is cooking. For turkey breasts, place thermometer in the thickest part. For whole turkeys, place in the thickest part of the inner thigh. Once the thigh has reached 165 °F, check the wing and the thickest part of the breast to ensure the turkey has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F throughout the product.
  • If using an oven cooking bag, follow the manufacturer's guidelines on the package.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. I kept seeing 75-90 minutes/lb of bird for smoking. Now my searches, including the above link, indicate 30/lb. Anyone know where the longer cook time comes from, since it's clearly not from the USDA?

where are you seeing 75-90 mins/lb? that dont sound right for a bird not even at 200-225, which would be really bad to do unless your cookin a quail.

The "Smoke and Spice" book is the main source, though web searches have provided similar information. 30-45/lb is way more workable.

I've also been researching beercan turkey, as I have a vertical cooking platter designed for exactly that. That seems to cook even more efficiently, which makes me more willing to use the SKD vs the EECB (my original plan). Looks like either way, I've allotted way more time than I'll need...

I did a 12# turkey last week on the CG and spatchcocked it. There was a water pan under it and it was cooked from the SFB at about 275 with briquetts and maple chunks. I didn't brine but rubbed it the night before. It had a great smoke flavor all the way through and the white meat stayed moist. The next one I'll beer can and see how that works on turkey. The time was about 3 hours since in reality you are doing 2 six pounders.

I used the inverted coal pan mod and the chimney mod.

Definately will cut the time significantly.

I would take a guess that a spatchcocked 20# turkey would go for no longer than 6, maybe 7 hours, but I prefer temps around 275-300 for the bird.
That's kinda what I was thinking for a time line.

Waitaminute... *30* minutes/lbs??? I thought that was oven time at 450 or so. How are you getting the time down to 30/lb in your smoker?
My target temp is 250* but she floats up to around 300* when I'm not looking. That might be the missing link for the 30 mins per pound.

I go 5 hours on whole turkey breasts at around 240* for 7.5 to 8# breasts.

Let it rest for 1/2 hour and its done.

Turkey, especially whole breasts, are VERY consistant. Its not like beef or pigs, where they are raised in a variety of methods.

Turkeys don't get "stuck" like pork or beef. They all cook pretty much the same.

Pulled them off 2 years ago, and one dinner guest accidently tried to tell me it wasn't done yet.

I said "It's done. I do it the same way every year, and its done"

He said "I don't think its done"

I shove a thermometer in ther, and it reads 176*

I said "Well, you satisfied?"

He said nope, I don;t think its done.

So I said "Why not?"

Cuz the little Red popper didnt pop out.

I said, Here, take this knife and clear the candied spray and rub from around the rim.

He does it, and *pop*

He said, it's done.

I gave him a George Foreman Grill for Christmas that year. He is Son of Uncle Farker to boot!!!!

From that day on, I pull the plastic popper before cooking.

I go 5 hours on whole turkey breasts at around 240* for 7.5 to 8# breasts.

Let it rest for 1/2 hour and its done.

Turkey, especially whole breasts, are VERY consistant. Its not like beef or pigs, where they are raised in a variety of methods.

Turkeys don't get "stuck" like pork or beef. They all cook pretty much the same.

Pulled them off 2 years ago, and one dinner guest accidently tried to tell me it wasn't done yet.

I said "It's done. I do it the same way every year, and its done"

He said "I don't think its done"

I shove a thermometer in ther, and it reads 176*

I said "Well, you satisfied?"

He said nope, I don;t think its done.

So I said "Why not?"

Cuz the little Red popper didnt pop out.

I said, Here, take this knife and clear the candied spray and rub from around the rim.

He does it, and *pop*

He said, it's done.

I gave him a George Foreman Grill for Christmas that year. He is Son of Uncle Farker to boot!!!!

From that day on, I pull the plastic popper before cooking.

NOW, it's Thanksgiving:lol::cool: Thanks Bill!

Back