THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Are there any adventurous souls here? If so, here is an interesting recipe. I have eaten South Carolina hash from Midway BBQ in Buffalo, South Carolina. People in that area love the stuff. I wasn't impressed, It's an acquired taste, in my opinion. I made some using the recipe below and still didn't like it a whole lot.

Here is a recipe I got from the grandfather of a friend who lived in the Midway BBQ area. This is how his grandfather made hash. If you are adventurous, perhaps you will want to give it a try.

3 lbs beef (bone in chuck is most authentic)
1 lb pork
2 sticks butter
water
3 pound of onions, chopped (yes, three pounds)
1 TBS red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste

Cube the meat and soak in water for about 30 minutes.

Put meat in a pot and add enough water to cover. Let the meat cook for about 2 hours until it is pull tender. Remove the meat from the pot, pull it, remove any bones and gristle, and chop it into very fine pieces. Reserve the cooking liquid.

Return the meat to the pot with the cooking liquid. Add the remaining ingredients and let it all cook together until the onion melds into the meat and no onion solids are left. You will need to stir constantly so meat will not scorch.

This could take as long as four hours. Add water as needed. The hash should be thick and not runny. When the hash is cooked down to a point where nothing is identifiable, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve by itself, over rice, or as a topping for a BBQ pork sandwich.

Not a big fan of Midways hash. I am from Union SC (Buffalo is inside of Union). My father makes a beef hash that puts Midways to shame (their chicken stew is the best thing they offer). His is cooked in a wash pot fueled by hickory wood.

Boiled meat???:twitch::tsk: I thought we cook on smokers?:boxing: Sorry I'll pass.:hand: They do "Door County Fish boils" in Wisconsin and I have the same opinion. I tried it, it's a good show (cooked over an open fire until it boils over and flames shoot into the air) but it's pretty tasteless.:sick::puke:

Boiled meat???:twitch::tsk: I thought we cook on smokers?:boxing: Sorry I'll pass.:hand: They do "Door County Fish boils" in Wisconsin and I have the same opinion. I tried it, it's a good show (cooked over an open fire until it boils over and flames shoot into the air) but it's pretty tasteless.:sick::puke:

In the old days before refrigeration, there were always edible parts of the animal that couldn't be barbecued. Those were put into a pot and made into stew. That's where Brunswick Stew, Kentucky Burgoo, and South Carolina Hash comes from. Nothing wrong with boiled meat in stews. In fact, Brunswick Stew and Burgoo are quite tasty. It's all as much of the tradition as the barbecue.

Boiling meat in TX is a Hangin offense! I bet if you cooked the meat on the pit in a pan first then transfered it to the evil crock pot with the other ingredients and used ENC Vinegar sauce , finish by cooking on a flat top to get it browned up with a side of eggs it could be pretty dang tasty .

That might be a good way to go. However, in the old days, it took so long to cook barbecue because they had to cook whole animals making that approach impractical.

The late great DFW Texas Walter Jetton used to boil meat before he put it on a pit to finish cooking. He made a flavorful braising liquid to tenderize and flavor the meat then put it on the pit to finish.

A 1937 edition of the Dallas Morning News tells us “Texas barbecue has been distinguished by the peppery variety of the liquids in which it is laved.”

There are also accounts of old timers in the 1800s boiling meat in kettles before barbecuing as well. It's all part of the American southern barbecue tradition.

Last edited:
Back