THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Continuing with the Sourdough experiments...

I fed my refrigerated starter yesterday morning, the discard went to making Sourdough Biscuits which turned out excellent and became part of a Fried Egg and Canadian Bacon breakfast sandwich. After feeding the remaining starter it became quite active, so I decided to put it to good use and didn't want to fuss with sourdough bread.

I figured I'd try my hand at English Muffins which can be made with either the discard or for better results an active starter. I mixed the dough yesterday afternoon and let it proof in the fridge overnight. This afternoon I set out to make English Muffins.

I halved the King Arthur Flour website recipe as it turns out 24 muffins. My muffins are slightly larger than 3" diameter, so the recipe made 9 (one of which was a mega muffin).

They need to proof out on the counter, dusted in cornmeal -

N7qJWwl.jpg

And into a 325-350F dry CI skillet for about 10 minutes per side. They're done when the internal temp reaches 190F -

fYx3bLq.jpg

5QN7Dv8.jpg

Cooling. Thankfully, they actually look like English Muffins. Whew! -

ytaupGl.jpg

bkZ4b4m.jpg

OK, so how did they turn out?

We have nooks and crannies -

oIMVw7L.jpg

They toasted quite nicely -

WYEUAXq.jpg

They look good with Strawberry Jam -

sYw7DYE.jpg

And they tasted excellent, nice hint of Sourdough. This was to be a shot of both halves, but the Mrs absconded with the other half before I could take the shot :mmph: -

cxGB9d7.jpg

Approved by Mrs lunchman and these will get toasted up for breakfast tomorrow morning. More egg sandwiches are in our future.

Give these a try if you're looking for things to make with your Sourdough Starter. They were incredibly easy to make.

Thanks for checking in on this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Killer nooks and crannies, Dom!

Those are just crying out for a griddled slice of fatty, an egg, and some cheese for breakfast!

Great Job.!!! You can also use 50% white flour & 50% whole wheat flour in that recipe if you like whole wheat Eng. muffins. Wifey loves em.

Back