THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I've been tasked with smoking two 8 lb bone in turkey breasts for the annual holiday family feast. One question.... If my birds are "treated with a 3% natural solution for tenderness and juiciness" do I even need to bother with a brine? Thanks and have a GREAT holiday!

I normally sigh when someone brings me a pre-brined bird because I don't get to be creative with brine mixes, I just inject with a rosemary garlic butter and smoke it up. Saves me some work but people sometimes have a tough time finding a natural bird around here. Still tastes great but I don't want to turn a turkey into a salt lick.

I brine any poultry that is at or below 8% and can really tell the difference in flavor and moistness. Publix poultry is normally like that.
If I get "stuck" with a higher level of factory prep (normally by a relative)--I just cook it.
Comes out fine but just not with my flavors (if any).

I am not sure, but I think the processors are required to declare "some" level of "retained moisture" and I see some many that say "less than 3%. Don't think that is an issue at all, at least for me.

It is all----Good Eats!!

TIM

If you have the time you could soak them in water for a couple of days, changing the water twice a day to draw out the solution.

I skipped the brine this time around. I have a feeling these may have turned out a touch dry, but won't be reheating and slicing these bad boys up until Christmas Day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356353818.196613.jpg

Back