So what do you all use for Charcoal Chimney's?

I'm surprised to see so many people use the Weber cubes. I like the cotton balls in alcohol method someone posted. I have the big and small Weber chimney. I sure wish they made one in between in size. Like a medium. Additionally I'm shocked to see that people still use newspaper. That's like using lighter fluid. :-o
I just heap up the charcoal in the small one.

I'm surprised to see so many people use the Weber cubes. I like the cotton balls in alcohol method someone posted. I have the big and small Weber chimney. I sure wish they made one in between in size. Like a medium. Additionally I'm shocked to see that people still use newspaper. That's like using lighter fluid. :-o

How so?

I also use a cheap charcoal chimney to light 10 or 12 briquettes for the smoker. I also use a paper towel drizzled with oil to ignite the cubes.

If I'm using the grill, then I'll light a whole chimney of charcoal for a fast start on the kettle.

I've had the cheap chimney for about 8 years now, still in great shape.

I’d also like to know how newspaper is like lighter fluid?

I use a Weber chimney with ripped up brown grocery bags.

Another question? Do the Weber cubes leave any aftertaste like lighter fluid? I would have thought so, but with so many people using them, it makes me wonder.

Weber

I use a Weber chimney and their cubes. With newspaper I had ashes flying all around.
DanB

Usually pretty dry here, and I hated seeing all the sparks from from those chimney's. I bought one of these for my smoker and have it lit in minutes:

29201_700x700.jpg

Worked so well, I bought one of these for my kettle:

bernzomatic-torches-tanks-328626-1d_1000.jpg

Another question? Do the Weber cubes leave any aftertaste like lighter fluid? I would have thought so, but with so many people using them, it makes me wonder.

I've never noticed a smell or taste from the cubes. That said, they're relatively expensive and sometimes hard to find compared to cotton balls and 91% alcohol so I switched.

I’d also like to know how newspaper is like lighter fluid?

I use a Weber chimney with ripped up brown grocery bags.

I can taste lighter fluid but I cannot taste the cubes. It does smell like lighter fluid when lit. I switched to these.
74790423213ec852a598efd0f27b7c67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't notice a lighter fluid taste, but they sure do stink when you light the cube. Laughable that they advertise them as odorless.

Back