SmokeFire Brisket Cook

A few pics after about 8.5 hours of running at 270 for the majority of the time.
2d74aa34c06b54ec95e201ba194d256e.jpg
e3ffc0c040665a33b4c287c0f7f64438.jpg
a91077079d778e3f39c6495a1f73da0b.jpg
cd9536c0929c68c047381fc7bffbc5d4.jpg
c3728461b2cd1333eff11519be55f9dc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The pan I used didn't. It was fairly deep though. I think you could find plenty of pans that would. The one I used was about an 1/8 inch to tall.
b3fc330da8bda13a9baade2a057eab51.jpg

FWIW, I use foil pans on my Primo XL sometimes, i'll either just bend the sides out more flat with my hands or cut an inch or so off the top all the way around so it sits under my grate and on top of the diffuser without issue. Never had a problem using them either bent or cut. If you were only 1/8" too tall then I'm sure you could fold the sides out a bit and clear no problem.

FWIW, I use foil pans on my Primo XL sometimes, i'll either just bend the sides out more flat with my hands or cut an inch or so off the top all the way around so it sits under my grate and on top of the diffuser without issue. Never had a problem using them either bent or cut. If you were only 1/8" too tall then I'm sure you could fold the sides out a bit and clear no problem.
It's definitely workable.

Just a thought. Remove the flavorizor bars. Take some measurements. Find a grate that will sit where the bars rest on that bent lip. It should increase the space/depth enough to use regular aluminum pans.

That Brisket is looking good.
There is always a learning curve with a new cooker, and the final product is the ultimate answer. Looking forward to the pics of the finished product and a report on the performance of the Smoke Fire.

Brisket looks great!. I used to buy pans that were more shallow when I had the Kamado Joe. On the Kettle everything seems to have clearance.

Let us know what you thought about the flavor. I think everyone is curious if the design still has the light characteristic of most pellet grills or something different.

In terms of pans on the SmokeFire, it's probably a workable solution for the grease problem. For brisket and pork you don't need the high heat grilling that the flavorizor bars enabled so as long as it doesn't totally screw up airflow, it should be fine. You wouldn't want it in there for grilling but that's not an issue.

A full load of chicken could be a challenge, but honestly, I don't totally trust my rectec not to have a fire on a full load of wings. That's a lot of grease directly over some pretty high heat to get out of the way. I've lit up the kettle before when loaded up with wings so not limited to pellet grills.

A few pics after about 8.5 hours of running at 270 for the majority of the time.
2d74aa34c06b54ec95e201ba194d256e.jpg
e3ffc0c040665a33b4c287c0f7f64438.jpg
a91077079d778e3f39c6495a1f73da0b.jpg
cd9536c0929c68c047381fc7bffbc5d4.jpg
c3728461b2cd1333eff11519be55f9dc.jpg

That Brisket looks great!! From looking at the ash accumulation after that 8.5 hour cook... That’s a lot of ash... On 10 plus hour cooks I’ve done, I don’t even see half that much ash. Not even close... On my pellet grill, it has a traditional fire pot, so a lot of the ash stays in it. In the Weber SF, It has slots on the base of the fire pot to allow the ash to fall through, but it seems from the pics posted that the majority of the ash is being blown out into the grill... and not down through the slots in the fire pot. Add that to the excessive grease run off equals the potential for major issues that’s already known. Just my observation. Keep using that drip pan and thanks for posting.

This turned into the longest brisket cook ever! I think it ended up going like 17 hours for a brisket with a starting weight of around 16.5 pounds. This is where learning your cooker comes in. I think I had it positioned in a spot on the grate that was a little cooler combined with cooking a little cooler than I normally do anyway.

Overall I was a little underwhelmed with the final result. I know pellet cookers are typically a little light on smoke flavor but this was really lacking. It might have to with the brand of pellets I was using. I went to a local shop to get BBQr's Delight but they had stopped carrying them. I ended up with Myron Mixon Pellets which I really know nothing about.

O9k48VEl.jpg

thjRiZxl.jpg

Started with a 20 pound bag and an empty hopper.

So 20 pounds in 7.5 hours? Or am I misunderstanding? If so that's a boatload of pellets for the amount of time.

Brisket looks great, I think on pelletfan someone tried those pellets and wasn't very happy with them.

There is probably 3 or so pounds left in the hopper. Probably ran for 30 min before I put it on. Call it 17ish pounds in 8 hours maybe.

The brisket looks good! That seems like an awful lot of pellets burned? Get some lumberjack 100% hickory pellets and try again. Might get a little more ash, but they were the strongest and best pellets I had used as far as smoke flavor. I also liked their cherry and pecan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The brisket looks good! That seems like an awful lot of pellets burned? Get some lumberjack 100% hickory pellets and try again. Might get a little more ash, but they were the strongest and best pellets I had used as far as smoke flavor. I also liked their cherry and pecan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am going to order some lumberjack. I don't think I have anyplace local to pick them up.

Back