Trying an SPL211 Pooper brisket tonite

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Salt, Pepper, Lawry's - 2 parts pepper, 1 part salt, 1 part lawry's ( I blame 16Adams) in my Grilla Silverbac running Bear Mountain Mesquite pellets. I'm gonna put the 12.37 Lb. (pretrim) Black Canyon Choice brisket on about 11:30 or 12 midnite running 200*. Come about 8 -9 am I will wrap it in paper or foil boat it and bring temp up to 275* till probe tender. Then rest it in warm turkey roaster for a few hours and I will see Just How Bad a pooper brisket is......... :wink:

eLnTcJUl.jpg

DavXvbLl.jpg

BdbsQOwl.jpg

UChcizjl.jpg

CMpaSMYl.jpg

nUNxjjQl.jpg

to be continued.......

Too much pepper and salt. Lawrys would bring that more to 2:3 pepper/salt. If you are used to Adkins, you will agree.

Unlimited commercial rubs on the market. And I have a fairly large cache. Most are fantastic. However if you want to make your own this will work as a rub, seasoning, adjustment to seasoning etc etc

2 parts coarse black pepper like 16Mesh or restaurant grind
1 part Kosher Salt
1 part Lawry's seasoning salt

aOiThsJl.jpg

I use top shelf for big meat low & slow on my pellet. How did yours do that close to fire pot? Foil boat? Foil? Butcher paper đź“ś? Nekkid?
Hold?

Goodness sounds like an interrogation rather than an informal inquiry.

Apologies

A well thought out plan, with proper equipment!
I predict that you will be angered for your long suffering lack of mind making up.
Ed

Wait a minute! No boiling water? Blasphemy you are a heathen!:tsk:

On a more serious note I'm confident that it will turn out good!

Not so Sure so far........ I waited till 9:30 to wrap it - 9 hrs 45 minutes - and it was Dry and I guess I used too much rub (but I always coat heavy with other rubs and other smokers.) A large crust flaked off the top but still plenty of rub on it - but it's Not Dark and Wetish and Sticky like Usual BUT I've never ran 200* before............. :confused: I was gonna use top grate but it'd be tight to top and hard when loading so just went with bottom grate.

wrapped in butcher paper and put fat cap side up and bumped temp to 275*......

ipeuCrol.jpg

These Bear Mtn. Mesquite pellets Smell Better than the PitBoss Comp Blend and Bear Mtn Oak/Hickory blend. I mail ordered them from Lowes - $13.98/bag

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, my vote is for the foil boat method (stall and hold). Between that and the various wrap methods, I have found the boat wrap to produce the best end result, IMO.

For what it’s worth, my vote is for the foil boat method (stall and hold). Between that and the various wrap methods, I have found the boat wrap to produce the best end result, IMO.

I was thinking about it but I usually go Nekid or wrap in butcher paper in my reg smokers....... guess I could change it easily enough

Would be cool to do your “normal” and see how it comes out.

that's what I was thinking - see how a pooper paper wrap compares to a gravity fed paper wrap. I haven't tried foil boat in any smoker. I'll see How this turns out - wondering maybe run next one at 250* then foil boat ?

if this brisket turns out to be too light in Smoke or Bark or otherwise I will try a higher temp and burn wood chunks in a stainless pan next to brisket for first few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hXlN4rlWE

Lone Star Grillz is mixing wood chips with pellets 50/50 - BUT it requires a specific Size of wood chip that they sell but they are 3x's price of pellets. I like the idea tho......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9P8_R1GNE

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/accessories/products/wood-chips

:heh:

Last edited:
Back