THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David
I am so glad your loin came out okay. That was the highlight of B2 for me. To be able to share what is an awesome loin recipe with the brothers.

Tonight, I cubed up some of sundays smoked loin and added it to Tony Chachere Dirty Rice mix. Awesome.

with its versatility in leftovers, the pork loins rocks in my world.

1.74# this week at Meijer. Picked up 2 5 #'ers so far.

You lurkers, try this method. It is awesome. Smoke till 165* (no matter what the smoker you have) then wrap in foil and continue to 190*, then put in cooler till down to 160 or 3 hours whichever first.

Awesome

David
I'm glad your loin came out to. Could have used a little less detail on why you missed work on Tuesday though. Less is more.

David,

You were talking about those little smokey's you put in the crockpot with BBQ sauce.....I usually put some grape or apple jelly in there too. But I was thinking.....what if you used Habanero jelly instead? Wonder if those little smokey's would be too hot?

Richie

rbinms33 said:
David,

You were talking about those little smokey's you put in the crockpot with BBQ sauce.....I usually put some grape or apple jelly in there too. But I was thinking.....what if you used Habanero jelly instead? Wonder if those little smokey's would be too hot?

Richie

You all keep saying little smokey's those are puppy peters.

willkat98 said:
Thanks for the correction.

My favorite Hominey recipe:

Smoky Links and Hominy
Freeze a package of smoky links (not the little ones, regular hot dog size)

Once frozen, cut into smokey "nickles" Easier to cut this thin when frozen.

Throw in a frying pan and heat.

Rinse a can of hominy.

When smokies are cooked add hominey. Heat for a few minutes, eat while piping hot.

Quick, easy, and very filling.

I've been eating this since I was 2.
My wife hates the smell, but the kids are now hooked on it too.

Ranks right up there with fried Bologna

I just had this last night. Was going to post a picture. This stuff is awesome.

And this thread can double as Q post of the week.

Went by wallyworld on the way home. A Strange, Unseen Force guided me
to pick up a package of Smokey-Links and a can of hominy.

Night Gallery Mod

native american stew/POSOLE

Bill:

Ya just might be on to someting great. See the recipe below; smoked meat and smoked peppers are called for. Get a pressure cooker and easily reduce the time involved to 1/2 day.

BEEF or PORK POSOLE STEW
(Low Fat - Low Salt)
by Maurice D. Wilson - Tucson, Arizona

I have cooked this, with excellent results, using chicken stock. This recipe differs from the basic Posole recipe in that it incorporates beans, tomatoes, chili's, and green onion, - more of a stew mixture, hence the name Posole Stew. The original recipe is authentic and very good. This recipe has a number of different flavors and is more robust. I, quite frankly, prefer this more hearty version.

Note: As stated in the tile, the beef can be replaced with Pork (use good Lean Pork loin, or, if you can go the expense, Pork tenderloin).

STOCK DAY
This recipe starts with good beef or a chicken stock. The chicken stock is quite easy to make, takes less time and is excellent. The beef stock takes a little time, but if you are a beef person, the end result is a very hardy stock. (Don't use commercial stock. It contains preservatives and too much salt.)

Stock-Beef
5 to 6 lbs of bare beef rendering bones, sawed into 2in. pieces
3 - yellow onions - unpeeled and chopped
1 - bunch of Carrots, unpeeled - chopped
1 - bunch of celery - chopped
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp of Thyme
6 quarts of water
Tell your butcher that you need bare rendering bones. They should have very little meat on them, so they should be cheap. Have him saw them into 2 - inch pieces. Roast the bones in an uncovered pan at 400 for 2 hours. Be careful with this because your own oven may be a bit too hot. Watch the bones, which you want to be light toasty brown, not black. Place the roasted bones, along with the fat, in a 20 - quart soup pot and add the water. Add the carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf and thyme. (The onion peel will give a nice color to the stock). Bring to a boil, uncovered, skim off any foam, and then simmer for 12 hours. You will need to add water to keep the soup up to the same level. (Mark on a stick from top edge of pot to stock). Do not salt the stock. When done, strain stock and put in the refrigerator. Allow fat to rise and solidify on top of the stock. The fat will seal the stock and allow you to keep it for several days. Stock also freezes well.

Stock-Chicken
6 lbs of Chicken backs and wings
4 Ribs of celery w/leaves, rough chop
4 Carrots, peels left on, rough chop
2 Onions, peels left on, quartered
2 Parsnips, peels left on, rough chop
1 large tomato, quartered
4 cloves of garlic lightly bruised
8 sprigs of flat leave parsley
4 sprigs of fresh dill, optional
2 large bunches of fresh thyme
6 black pepper corns
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
6 quarts of water
1. Remove excess fat from chicken. Place chicken in large pot with water, add rest of ingredients.
2. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and gently simmer, partially covered, for two hours, skimming foam off top. Adjust seasonings.
3. You will need to add water to keep the soup up to the same level. (Mark on a stick from top edge of pot to stock).
4. Strain broth; pour again through a fine sieve to clear it. Cool to room temperature.
5. Refrigerate for three to four days or freeze up to 3 months.
6. After initial refrigeration, remove layer of fat and discard.

BEEF or PORK POSOLE STEW
3-quarts of your favorite stock
1-1/2 lb of uncooked Posole (nixtamal), well rinsed
2 -1/2 lb (Lean) London Broil or Sirloin (Loin cut) or
Pork Loin (approx. 1 to 1-1/2 in. thick)
*l large onion - chopped
*1 whole head of garlic w/ top cut off
*3 tsp of oregano
*2 large bay leaves or 4 small
*5 mounded Tbls of Ariz. Santa Cruz or N Mex. Chili
Powder (pure red chili powder- not the commercial mix)
3 - 15oz. cans of "no salt added" peeled tomatoes,
chopped
12 - Fresh green Anaheim chilis, roasted and chopped
2- 15 oz. cans of no salt Pinto Beans, rinsed well,
or a equal amount of fresh cooked (plain)
2 bunches of green onions including most of the tops
cut in 1 in. pieces
Black Pepper to taste

Posole Day.
1-1/2 lb of uncooked Nixtamal, or 16oz of dried. (This is a form of hominy and can be purchased in markets that cater to an Hispanic clientele. It is better for this purpose than hominy, however, I have seen posole made with hominy and seems to work okay) Measure out nixtamal, pick clean, wash, and put into about 8 quarts of water, bring to a rolling boil and, covered, boil for about 2-3 hours, or longer, until the "corns" blossom into kind of a "flower". Not all of them will do this but the majority will. (When nixtamal is done; strain, rinse well and set aside. Nixtamal can be done a day or two in advance. Put in bowl and cover with cooking liquid and plastic wrap. Keep in frig. When ready for use rinse well.) Now while the Nixtamal is cooking. . .

. . .start a, hot, mesquite (or your favorite wood) fire in a charcoal grill (smoker), off to one side of the grill. Trim meat of all extraneous fat. Place in shallow throw away foil pan or sheet of foil, on the side of the grill without the fire. Cook until well smoked, and "done'ish" throughout, about 30 to 40 min. depending on thickness, fire, etc. Turn meat about half way through cooking time. When done, cool to handle and cut across the grain into small bite size pieces. Set aside.

After the meat is done, spread the coals and put the Anaheim chilis on the grill. Roast them until the skins turn mostly brownish black, do not burn. Put them into a plastic bag and allow them to steam for 20 to 30 min. Skin them, cut open and de-seed and de-vein them. Chop into small bite size pieces. Set aside.

Skim fat off of beef or chicken stock. To de-fat further, line a large strainer with cheesecloth filled with ice cubes and pour stock through this. Use a full 3 quarts of stock. Freeze the other half for a future batch or other uses. Place stock in stock pot. Heat and add - all items above marked with *. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Sieve out all the stuff (throw away) and return liquid to pot (3 quarts - check with the marked stick). Put in chopped Meat, Nixtamal, Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chili's. Simmer whole thing for another hour, covered. The last 10 minutes of cooking add the Green Onions to pot. Serve with gordita (thick) corn tortillas, warmed. Garnish each serving with Hard (white) Mexican cheese, plenty of chopped fresh Cilantro and squeeze in half a fresh lime.

This recipe takes time to do so you should enjoy cooking and preparing exquisite food before attempting, but I guarantee, if you take the time to collect the proper ingredients and the time to cook it, you will impress everybody lucky enough to be served this extremely flavorful and healthy dish.

http://www.ihs.gov/GeneralWeb/Links/AmericanIndian/food-posole.asp

Maintained by Aaron Murphy at [email protected]

make your own hominy/Nixtamal

http://www.greensense.com/Features/Green_cuisine/nixtamal.htm

GreenSense- Green Cuisine

Homemade Nixtamal

If you've ever been in Mexico or central America, you know that the corn tortillas you can buy in a U.S. store bear very little resemblance to the real thing. Freshly-made tortillas are vastly better than the store-bought alternative. That's because they're made with fresh "masa" - ground from specially treated corn kernals.

You can't just grind corn into meal and make tortillas; it won't stick together properly. You need to treat the corn with lime first. Furthermore, the meal made from untreated corn is vastly inferior, nutritionally. The lime treatment:

makes certain B vitamins more available,
improves the availability of the corn's amino acids,
greatly increases its calcium content, offsetting corn's overabundance of phosphorus and neutralizing it's calcium-binding phytic acid,
softens and allows you to remove the indigestible husks,
improves the taste.
In the process, the texture of the kernel is altered, so that it can be ground into a dough (called "masa") that will stick together when formed into tortillas.
The result of this lime treatment, nixtamal ("hominy", in English), is vastly better to the taste when it's freshly-made. In countries where nixtamal is used, it's made fresh daily. It spoils quickly without refrigeration, but even with refrigeration, its flavor and texture are noticeably better on the day it was made.

Tortillas, delicious as they are, are only one of the many delights you can make with fresh nixtamal. Other traditional latin foods made with nixtamal or masa include: tamales & posole. Settlers in the U.S. Southern states called their nixtamal hominy. (However, today, hominy has the nutrient-rich germ removed, unlike nixtamal) They served it whole, as a vegetable, or ground it into grits. We've experimented with a variety of recipes, either replacing part or all of another grain, or just throwing in some nixtamal or masa: hot cereal (use coarsely ground masa, cook like grits), masa-garbonzo soup (add whole nixtamal & garbonzos to a veggie soup), nixtamal chile con carne (add whole nixtamal kernels), masa muffins (replace part of the flour with ground masa), ...

Note: To grind the cooked, softened corn, and turn it into "Masa de Maíz", you'll need a grain mill (available at Lehman's), a food processor, or a "metate": Authentic, handmade tortillas are ground using two stones, one roughly cylindrical, like a rolling pin, the other, flat, like a cutting board. However, even without a grinder or metate, if you have access to a food processor, blender, or meat grinder, you can use your freshly made masa to make a variety of delicious foods. (Click for a spectacular tamali recipe that uses very coarsely ground nixtamal.)

3 cups dry corn kernels - (coop, health food store, etc.), organic is best CAUTION: make sure you're buying edible corn NOT seed corn, which is commonly treated with highly poisonous fungicides.

6 cups water
2 heaping tsp. pickling lime (try your local supermarket in during canning season)
If you can find a farmer who's growing organic field corn, you may be able purchase some at a very reasonable price. You'll have to remove the thoroughly dried kernels from the cob, but it's an easy job - just rub them off. Think twice before using non-organic corn. Most of it is genetically modified to include a pesticide (Bt toxin).

To proceed, put the corn in a cast iron, stainless steel, or Corningware pot (Don't use aluminum - it will corrode and contaminate the corn.), add the water and lime, stir to mix in the lime, and boil for about an hour, or until the skins begin to slip off the kernels when rubbed. Turn off the heat and let cool. You can allow it to rest for up to 24 hours. We often let it sit for only an hour before grinding.

Pour the cooked kernels into a large dishpan and run cool water over them. "Smoosh" them between your fingers to loosen and remove the husks, then rinse and smoosh some more, until the water is clear. This will take about 5 min. Drain in a colander.

Now, you can grind the kernels to make tortillas, tomales, or grits, or leave them whole to cook more thoroughly, either alone (great served hot, with butter), or as an ingredient in soups, stews, etc.

Back