THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
In the late 60s, early 70s, my father won this electric smoker at a bar somewhere. He did not want it, being single, so it he gave it to his parents, who did want it. About five years ago we were cleaning my grandfathers house after he had died, my grandmother had passed long before. We found the smoker in the basement still in its box, never even taken out of it. So, I got it and wanted to learn how to smoke.

But... It did not work. It is electric and just popped GCFI outlets. I found out the Old Smokey was still in business and the owner responded to an email at 8:30 at night! Over 40 to 50 years the insulation in the heating element broke down and leaked current. I got a new element, and a dial for controlling it which I did not have before. I little time with the Dremel and it was in.

I cut my teeth learning how to smoke on this smoker. Later I upgraded to a bigger propane smoker, a Smoke Hollow, and this went into the attic. So, I thought it would be good to bring her down and remember how it all started.

I started with a bone in pork loin. By the way, thanks Smitty for the recommendation of the Plowboys rub, it is not to spicy for my wife. It ran about 245 with a handful of wild cherry chunks. What it interesting about this smoker is that it is basically sealed so moisture cannot escape. It steams as it cooks and cooks much faster.

However, it never makes a smoke ring or good bark. And, the smoke flavor is always mild. To much wood makes it bitter. After cleaning it will go back into the attic, until it is time to go down memory lane again.

So, what you really want to see, the pics.

Afterwards I smoked some trout, Sam's, for lunch this week.

What a fantastic story and thanks for putting it to work after all this time!!!

You know what they say, "everything old is new again!" I would say that was a drum smoker before drum smokers were cool!

Good on ya'!

That's really cool!!!

If I were you I would be temped to buy a new one to use it beside the old one and just let them roll...

that's pretty awesome to be able to get parts after 50 years.
Good looking results too.

I assume the digital thermometer is not original equipment:p

I love that story.

My dad gave me a lot of cool things in life but a smoker is not one of them...I do however have a wonderful memory of the time he tried to start a smoker with too much lighter fluid and a closed lid and the thing blew the lid off while we were standing right next to it.

That was fun.

Great story. I bet cooking for your family with it for 50 more years will generate lots more good stories....use it!

Back