Smaller pellet grills...

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
SoCal
Howdy boys and girls....I've decided to put my RecTec Stampede rt590 up for sale and look for something smaller. The 590 is great...it's just a bit big for 2 people and I don't use it enough to justify the space requirement.

So...I've been looking at the smaller alternatives such as the GMG Trek and possibly the many tabletop options available like the Ranger, Asmoke, Pitboss etc... Anyone with decent experience or knowledge on these newcomers?

When I smoke, I'll usually do a porkbutt, some bluefin, chuckroast or a rack or 2 of ribs...nothing to crazy. I've been using my PK for this duty, but sometimes I want to walk away and not have to babysit the PK. Thanks for any info.

I have the Pitboss Tailgater and use it for every thing from grilling hamburgers and steaks to smoking pork butts and other meats It gets used several times week here.

I recently bought a used GMG Davy Crockett, which is the older version of the TREK, and though i only have a handful of cooks on it, I'm liking it so far. Definitely not going to be doing a full brisket on it, and for 2 racks of ribs you'd probably have to find a way to stand them up to fit but for my family of 4 it's usually enough room for everything.

Thanks guys....was able to physically go handle a Trek. Nice little unit. The PelletPro Sidekick has my attention at the minute.

I have had the Trek's predecessor, the Davy Crockett. We have hauled it around in the motorhome for the past 6 years and have been very happy with it.

Oh my good(ness), Mr. "I'll never go pellet" is measurably interested!!!

Ed
You must have me confused with someone else. Don't remember saying that. Never was a huge pellet fan but with the better controllers and being portable it is a good grill. Still have my Battle Box of course. My Chimp is 150 pounds lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

You must have me confused with someone else. Don't remember saying that. Never was a huge pellet fan but with the better controllers and being portable it is a good grill. Still have my Battle Box of course. My Chimp is 150 pounds lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I was referencing my own damn self!!
Ed

Thanks guys....was able to physically go handle a Trek. Nice little unit. The PelletPro Sidekick has my attention at the minute.

I really thought about that grill but went with the TREK because of more headroom above the grates.

I have the GMG Dave Crockett and it has been a good little smoker. However it is HEAVY and really takes two people to get the legs down on it.

My only issue I have with the DC is that the grease tube drain is very small. I have had one grease fire in the 4 years I've had it and I had to buy some replacement parts afterwards (heat shield and pit probe). I will give GMG credit though, their customer support is awesome and I had the new parts at my front door, in two days after calling on a Sunday.

Biggest piece of meat I've cooked on the DC is an 11lb brisket. You can also cook 4 baby back racks in it if you lay two flat on the main grill and two more laid flat on their optional expansion grill.

I just ordered a new Pit Boss Table Top grill that should be coming in tomorrow. I wanted something a little lighter than the DC for a couple of comps that I do and it's the perfect size to cook chicken on. I'll be testing it out this week as it should be here tomorrow.

I have the GMG Dave Crockett and it has been a good little smoker. However it is HEAVY and really takes two people to get the legs down on it.

My only issue I have with the DC is that the grease tube drain is very small. I have had one grease fire in the 4 years I've had it and I had to buy some replacement parts afterwards (heat shield and pit probe). I will give GMG credit though, their customer support is awesome and I had the new parts at my front door, in two days after calling on a Sunday.

Biggest piece of meat I've cooked on the DC is an 11lb brisket. You can also cook 4 baby back racks in it if you lay two flat on the main grill and two more laid flat on their optional expansion grill.

I just ordered a new Pit Boss Table Top grill that should be coming in tomorrow. I wanted something a little lighter than the DC for a couple of comps that I do and it's the perfect size to cook chicken on. I'll be testing it out this week as it should be here tomorrow.

Looking forward to how you like the Pit Boss. Walmart has them around here for $227.

Looking forward to how you like the Pit Boss. Walmart has them around here for $227.

That is where I got mine. Got it in last night, assembled it and did a burn off and then cooked some sausage. I'll post a better review later today, but overall from the one cook I really like this little unit. It is much lighter than my DC (43lbs vs 67lbs).

I read a lot of reviews on this cooker so I made sure to prop up the left side about 2 inches to avoid a possible auger fire, however it appears my cooker is an updated model and it looks like the burn pot is deeper than what the earlier versions came with.

Cooked some jalapeno sausage last night at 400F in 20 minutes and they were perfect. Tonight I'm going to do a whole chicken and will see how it goes.

+ one on Grilla chimp.

Haven’t researched the small offerings lately but going on a few years and it’s never let me down. Love it camping and on the go. Mak grill for other occasions

Back