Skinless thighs?

Bunny, you might be a great one to answer this, but what constitutes "deep-frying"? If you put the chicken in a cast iron skillet to crisp the skin with a small amount of oil, would that be legal as long as the heat source is the grill? I saw Southern Krunks do that on Pitmasters. I realize that is not KCBS rules or sanctioned, but it got me to wondering.

Bunny, you might be a great one to answer this, but what constitutes "deep-frying"? If you put the chicken in a cast iron skillet to crisp the skin with a small amount of oil, would that be legal as long as the heat source is the grill? I saw Southern Krunks do that on Pitmasters. I realize that is not KCBS rules or sanctioned, but it got me to wondering.

legal. i believe deep frying would be fully submerged.

I'm a fairly new judge. At this point I'm sticking to the practice of focusing on the meat, not the garnish, and with no preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn't be. We all owe that to the teams! If I were presented a box of skinless thighs, the fact that there was no skin would not effect my score. That's how I make them for family & friends and they're awesome that way!!!

Cheers!!!

As I see it:

Rules per KCBS website (if your a KCBS member you can (and should) read the rules there).

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas
and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, forced draft
are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at
the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built
on the ground.

Parboiling, deep-frying and
sous-vide cooking competition
meat is not allowed.

Deep frying means covered in oil, pan frying is oil that does not cover the meat.

Just a word of caution if your chicken looks fried you would be wise to have the rep over to your site and explain your process waaay before turn ins.

Ed

Ok, I too hate chicken.... to cook at least. My chicken has NEVER done good.... usually in the bottom 1/3 of the pool.

So, at my last comp., I went way outside the box.... went out on the limb so to speak.... I did boneless skinless thighs.... they were overdone and hard to keep together or I believe I would have been better than the 11th place they did get.... you tell me what you think.....

Attachments

• 553173_449322621752600_1948684285_n.jpg
    553173_449322621752600_1948684285_n.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 115
I'm a fairly new judge. At this point I'm sticking to the practice of focusing on the meat, not the garnish, and with no preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn't be. We all owe that to the teams! If I were presented a box of skinless thighs, the fact that there was no skin would not effect my score. That's how I make them for family & friends and they're awesome that way!!!

Cheers!!!

agreed it wouldn't effect score just because there was no skin, but might it after you tasted?

Ok, I too hate chicken.... to cook at least. My chicken has NEVER done good.... usually in the bottom 1/3 of the pool.

So, at my last comp., I went way outside the box.... went out on the limb so to speak.... I did boneless skinless thighs.... they were overdone and hard to keep together or I believe I would have been better than the 11th place they did get.... you tell me what you think.....

thats gotta be one damn good sauce, :becky:

care to share? :biggrin1:

Red Valley, what kind of success? I'm glad to see you tried this. I was brainstorming the other day thought this might be a good idea, too. Not all judges like dark meat, so give them a choice.

p.s. I really like the looks of it.

If my memory is correct, I believe that box finished 3rd. Also had a 4th, 6th, and a 7th. Of course I had a few comps where adding the breast wasn't received well.

They seem over sauced to me but that may or may not be true when the taste portion happens.

OK. Many years ago I tried exactly what you described. The problem was that my grease was so hot over the Weber fire that my chicken skin shriveled up to an inch in length. LOL It was NOT deep frying as there was only a quarter inch of oil in the cast iron skillet over the fire. I was only trying to perfect the skin. I wasn't trying to fry the chicken...just the skin. Needless to say, (no pun intended), I cast the skillet aside and never tried it again. Others have said they've also tried it but have failed. To deep fry is exactly that...dunking the whole piece of chicken below oil to fry.

Let me know if you can perfect that.

Unfortunately, it seems that you must account for judges that are looking for something not to like about your entry. Many judges also like to make assumptions about your cooking process, such as "must not be very good at cooking with the skin on" and then score down for it.

Its very wrong, but theres alot of them out there, and they aren't going away.
This. If you are lucky will will get all CBJ's who judge fairly, but never assume that is the case. Heck...even CBJ's sometimes score in a way that in hindsight seems like a mistake. They are human, not robots.

BTW, off topic but if you ask about a parsley box, parsley is the new chicken to me. I tried, I really tried to do the putting green thing. After about a half hour attempting to put it together at the comp, everyone in the pits heard me proclaim a rather pronounced F Parsley statement, I then took it out into the main area, threw it on the ground and stomped on it. When I got home I designed a T-Shirt and ordered it for the comp this coming weekend. I will be wearing it during night prep. Not really something I would wear when families are walking through the pits.

Farkin Hilarious!

We may try it this weekend in Weston. We'll keep the old way too, but WTH. We'll try it.

Make sure you have your reps approve it before you do it. Let them know what you are doing. The reps are Lynda Showalter and Larry Hadley. Tell them you are not deep frying, but trying to sear the skin. AND I want to know your results on the chicken!! Good luck.

Alright, I did my last run on chicken before this weekend, the skin is still not where I like it, so I will go with skinless chicken thighs. I'm thinking I can penetrate tons of flavor into the thigh without that pesky skin in the way.

I either get bite through, even a little crispy chicken, and char and shrivel up the skin, or have pretty looking rubber skin. :twisted:

We will see and I will take pics.

I hate doing chicken as well. Although it's getting better, it's been our weakest entry for some time. We did Sam's in Lenaxa as well. We were totally outclassed and outgunned! Got our brains beaten in! Last place in ribs, pork and brisket. Low and behold... 22nd in chicken. Go figure!

Back