Chicken thighs, braised then grilled?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Bretheren,

Gearing up to host a BBQ for out neighborhood. Doing brisket on the stick burner. Also doing poultry for those who don't eat red meat. Was going to do boneless turkey breasts along w/ the brisket in the KBQ, but then I need to worry about what is dripping on what and track two different internal temps. Wife doesn't like wood smoke in chicken and prefers chicken. In an attempt to make her happy, and perhaps other who may not like smoke, I'm considering grilling chicken thighs on the weber kettle.*

I've had trouble in the past getting the exterior w/ a color and perhaps a tough of char and the interior juicy and fully cooked w/out drying it out.

Been googling around in the interwebs and keep bumping into thighs that are 1st braised in the grill, then sauced and grilled. Apparently this is a competition technique? Is this a good way to get flavorful juicy chicken thighs w/ a bite through sauce glazed skin?

I do have two weber charcoal baskets and a SnS.

What are the pros and cons of this method?

Any tips for this, suggestions or warnings?*

Thanks in advance!
​​​​​​​JD

I've never done this but it seems like it would work great. The braising will make the meat tender without drying it out. It will also render the fat from the skin, which will help the skin crisp up quicker when you grill it.

I prefer to do it the other way around, grill first and then finish in a pan with sauce. I will usually do a few rounds of grilling and back into the sauce to get some nice crispy bits.

I find if you braise first and then grill you run the risk of the fully cooked thighs will fall apart on the grill.

You could braise first and finish on the stick burner running 350-375. But that ends up being smoked not grilled.

Too complicated. Just grill it on the kettle. No need for SnS.
Skin-on bone-in thighs, dry brine overnight uncovered in fridge, cook over a light bed of coals (medium heat), skin down for good color, then turn over to finish cooking. Use lid to keep flare-ups under control. Do a test run if uncertain but should work well.
Make some Alabama white sauce to go with it.

Back