Simply Marvelous vortex ribs

I'm going for that! Got two racks of spares in the freezer, I'm as sick as I can remember, I'm off this week and I've not ate f*** all nothing this last 7 days. I'm inspired! Some Santa Maria Spare Rib Therapy... that'll get me out the rut.
Thanks, Mike.

-D

Report back on that, would like to see how they do. I haven’t tried individual spares with the vortex.

I did try to grill spares once, didn’t care for them.

How was the pull of the meat from the bone? More of a gnaw off the bone or getting close to the clean bite off the bone? Might be a good candidate for a smoke/fried rib. I've fried baby backs cutting individually and were fairly tender with a little gnaw. Tried spares that way and they were way too tough.

Thanks,

Robert

The bone wasn’t clean clean, but pretty decent IMO for this method. Pretty tender and not too much fat left.

I have grilled spares, not to my liking either. Have not tried spares with the vortex. I think they would take a bit longer.

I tried grillin em once. Didn’t turn out how I hoped they would. Had some kind of off taste.
Can’t remember what charcoal I used, might have been Kingsford blue.
Maybe I’ll try it with some lump.

KB puts out an iron/metallic taste for me by direct grilling. Kingsford Professional and higher grade briquettes do not.

Ready to get started on these! Seasoned with Oakridge Dominator & Competition Beef and Pork:

FUuuhNv.jpg

Should have taken a pic of the ribs naked - they have lots of nice marbling.

How did you go an hour and a half?

When I use the vortex, I'm around 450°
I pulled mine at about 45 minutes. Some were over cooked.

How did you go an hour and a half?

When I use the vortex, I'm around 450°
I pulled mine at about 45 minutes. Some were over cooked.

An hour to an hour and 15 works for me.

Moose, how’d they turn out for you?

Last edited:
I saw ole Malcom Reed post this cook a while back on his vortex/Weber.Looks like a fun project.I was in his store last week.He carries the vortex.I thought about buying one but passed.The ribs look tastee though.

Anyone try this method with country style ribs? Probably too much fat to render in CSRs. Though a local grocery sells boneless CSRs that are cut closer to the loin section and not as much fat.

Lookin forward to your results!

An hour to an hour and 15 works for me.

Moose, how’d they turn out for you?

Mike, the ribs were DELICIOUS! They cooked for about an hour and 20 minutes, with one turn around the 45 minute mark. I didn't take any photos of the finished product, but here's a few observations:

1. The meat was bite - through tender to the bone, though a bit firmer than traditionally smoked ribs.

2. Because of the shorter cook time, the flavor of the rub was more prominent, which was a nice plus.

3. I used fully lit Royal Oak XL briquettes, which seemed to burn pretty hot. My finished ribs had a small amount of char on them. From your photo, it appears that you also used briquettes, which ones did you use, and were they fully lit? Did you cook them on your 22 or 26?

4. I would definitely do this again due to the convenience of the short cook time and having the rub at the forefront. I may even give the ribs a short brine to add even more juiciness.

3. I used fully lit Royal Oak XL briquettes, which seemed to burn pretty hot. My finished ribs had a small amount of char on them. From your photo, it appears that you also used briquettes, which ones did you use, and were they fully lit? Did you cook them on your 22 or 26?

Glad you liked them.

I used Cowboy hardwood briquettes and cooked them on the 22 this time.

they were about 95% lit (the pic above, I had shut it down to get a side ready) and I ran from 475-500 lid temp if I recall. I did rotate the lid 3-4 times. Pretty sure I went (3) 20s and a 15 minute between rotation.

I did not flip or rotate the ribs.

I had very little fat left in the ribs and will probably cook them like this most times when only needing a rack or two.
I agree, the rub seems more prominent, and was a good thing.

OK. This thread has inspired me to try similar, so I’m giving it a shot tonight.

Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to upload photos since Tapatalk went away.

Marinated them lightly in Soy with a bit of Yoshidas with added garlic and ginger. Plan on pulling them out and drip dry a bit, then add Suzy Q’s to take them in a Santa Maria BBQ direction. Will go with Lump in the Vortex and might add a chunk of oak at some point.

Silly question: Lid on or off during the cook?

Back