Vortex ribs

bowhnter

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I had seen Marty (MossyMO) cook some vortex ribs, sliced individually. Here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303904&highlight=Vortex+ribs

And Jeremy (4ever3) reheat sliced ribs on the grill.

I had to give it a try. I did not inject or use marinade though. Simply mustard slather and Touch of Cherry rub while the Weber heated up.

They went for an hour but I was trying to beat the rain, and as it was had seconds to spare.
They were right around 200* when I removed them and probe tender. But not quite as bite through tender as I would have liked.
I think I could have shut the vents and let ‘em sit for another 30 mins.

It was just an experiment that I will be doing again. Definitely liked the all around grilled ribs, and the time savings.
Has anyone done it, have any thoughts on a bit more tender for the next time?

After 30 minutes at the flip.

Pulled em off here.

Thanks fer lookin.

I went 90 min. and they could have been more tender

Did you put em in marinade at all? Run em full boar the entire 90?

Some things I may try:

Marinate for a few hours.
Shut it down and let em sit for another 30-45 mins.
Baste with a vinegar based mop.
Throw em all in a foil pan and cover for 20-30 minutes

No Mike no marinade, just rub and cook. I set all vents wide open but my fire wasn't that hot due to some crappy charcoal. I think the dome on the 26 said about 450 or so

I tried this last week. Used baby back ribs dusted with Cajun 2 Step, vortexed at 500 for a little over an hour. Then sauced with Sweet Baby Rays Wing Sauce. They came out pretty good. Will do again.

What size Vortex is that Mike?

I need to get me one of them and I have the 22 as well

Thanks

I tried this last week. Used baby back ribs dusted with Cajun 2 Step, vortexed at 500 for a little over an hour. Then sauced with Sweet Baby Rays Wing Sauce. They came out pretty good. Will do again.
How do you like the Cajun 2 Step? I bought both blends a few months ago and have been using it regularly. I really like it on vegetables. IT hasn't come through on meats the way I would like though.

How do you like the Cajun 2 Step? I bought both blends a few months ago and have been using it regularly. I really like it on vegetables. IT hasn't come through on meats the way I would like though.

We like it a lot, good flavor without extreme heat. Haven't tried their hot.

Back