Rotisserie Turkey on the Trail Embers Drum Smoker

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
Decided that I wanted to smoke a turkey in my Trail Embers Drum Smoker but I wanted to use my Rotisserie from the Weber kettle. I removed the hinged lid from the smoker and the rotisserie ring set right on the cooker. I had to use the lid from the Weber because the lid from the Trail Embers was about 1/2 inch to small. So far it is working out good. I have it cruising @ 325-350 grate temp and the lid thermo is reading 300-325. It was injected with a homemade cajun butter injection. I put the balance of the injection in the drip pan along with the neck and giblets so I can make gravy later. @ one hour in it looks and smells great. I might just add some rotisserie mounts to the barrel of the smoker and drill a couple of holes for the rod to pass through/ I think it would hold heat better if I did that. Will wait and see how the turkey turns out.
Tom

20200823_131558.jpg
One hour in, just basted.
20200823_135740.jpg

Thanks guys. I just checked it and basted again. It is almost done. Bout 155 in the dark meat. I closed the bottom vent down to about 10%. Gonna try to hold it for one hour. will have to watch internal temp and go from there. The color is just fantastic, golden brown and the skin is starting to split so it should be very crispy. So far I am really liking the rotisserie ring on the Trail Embers. I may still add the rotisserie brackets and try it without the ring. I really would like to be able to use the hinged lid from the trail embers so I do not have to rob the one from the kettle. Will post some pictures of it when done and cut up to serve. Gonna have smashed taters with turkey gravy, fresh garden sweet corn and melon.

Here is a picture of the finished bird. I have to say it was the best I have ever smoked. Very moist and juicy. I think the injection I used really made a difference. The drippings made an excellent gravy. It was a very enjoyable meal. Sorry but no plated pics. But here is one right before I sliced it.

20200823_172924[1].jpg

Thanks guys. As I said I was very pleased how this turned out. It had just the right amount of smoke accent. I had been having thoughts of selling the Trail Embers Drum Smoker, but the last two cooks I have done in it have been excellent. I did decide to add the mounts for the rotisserie and drill the holes for the rod to pass through. I think that will conserve heat. After supper the wife commented on how good the turkey tasted so a win!!!!

That bird looked perfect. If the wife is happy, it was a very successful cook!!

I hear you there. Sometimes she is less than pleased with some of my experimenting, but she does not complain.

Fantastic! I'm not a huge turkey fan. The only way I really do like it is cooked over fire. Yours looks great! Nicely done

For me it is the only way I cook a turkey. I have had too many overcooked dried out turkeys in my lifetime. I will smoke my next one in the Pellet Pro to see which one we like the best.

Back