THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
I’m gonna give lump a try in the WSM. From what I’ve seen, Royal Oak seems to be most plentiful and easiest to find around here.

What’s y’all’s opinions on RO lump?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's ok, I've found too many foreign objects for my liking

I've shared this before, but this being most disturbing item I found. Usually just rocks

I recently got some B&B which I much prefer and can be found at ACE. It sparks a bit more than I'd like, but not bad. Cowboy has seemed to have improved in quality

Last edited:
I recently made the switch to lump in my WSM, I use Western from walmart. Not having to clean out #s of ash after a cook is a plus.

It's ok, I've found too many foreign objects for my liking

I've shared this before, but this being most disturbing item I found. Usually just rocks

I recently got some B&B which I much prefer and can be found at ACE. It sparks a bit more than I'd like, but not bad. Cowboy has seemed to have improved in quality

What is that? A melted crack pipe or something? :tongue:

I love Royal Oak. I'm currently using the Western lump from Walmart as I couldn't pass on the price. Lots of small pieces in the bottom but still burns good. The Royal Oak is superior though.

I have previously always used RO lump with great success. This year my first 6 bags from various stores all contained really crushed up fine pieces. The exterior of the bags looked fine, no tears or rips like you sometimes see. I contacted them to see if this is what I should be expecting from now on and they said definitely not. They asked me to send them some information off the bag and they would either send me some vouchers or ship a pallet to my house. I did not hear back at that point and contacted them a few more times with no reply. This is pretty disappointing but....off to the next brand.

I have used Rockwood in the past and loved it (except for the price) but I get a $5 off coupon from ACE each month so that helps with the price a little. Last weekend when I went in saw B&B for about $9 cheaper than Rockwood so I picked up a bag of that to try this weekend.

I was using RO lump in my WSM, but tried a bag of B&B on a whim and find it superior to RO. Consistent sized chunks and not one foreign object after four bags. Doesn’t hurt that it costs less than RO either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using RO lump in my WSM, but tried a bag of B&B on a whim and find it superior to RO. Consistent sized chunks and not one foreign object after four bags. Doesn’t hurt that it costs less than RO either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the B&B crackle a lot?

I love Royal Oak. I'm currently using the Western lump from Walmart as I couldn't pass on the price. Lots of small pieces in the bottom but still burns good. The Royal Oak is superior though.

I agree with this statement to a "T"

I'm using Western from Walmart and love it. To minimize the fines, pick through the bags and take ones that are still "puffy". You can also shake the bags and listen for small pieces. It's worth the effort.

I've also used RO and like it as well.

Nothing wrong with it. I use about 6 bags a year, when I can't get to place that carries my go to stuff. And I din't plan a head faw enough to order some. But it is inferior to some of the other brands. I don't know if lazarri is available in GA. It is mostly sold to restaurants, but you can get it out here from restaurant supply stores and distributors for around $16.00 per 40 pound bag. Very few small pieces mostly nice chunks with a "log" every once and awhile. But you can break those up.

I had a giant piece of lump once. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220947

http://www.lazzari.com/

Last edited:
I use RO in the KJ. Its really the only one I can find with regularity, and is usually the best value. It's adequate. I will use B & B if I can find it and Rockwood is awesome.

Thanks for all the replies. At least it’s OK. Knowing about viable options is good to.

Also planning to try it in the kettle as well. May make the jump completely.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back