THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinGuitarPlayer

Full Fledged Farker
So far I've had 2 team mates so 3 guys no problem unloading smokers, ez ups, tables , etc. etc. but I am considering doing a comp with only my wife. We would take the Motorhome which is old and small and has minimal storage space ... can anyone give me suggestions on what cookers to try to take and how to transport them? The only thing I can think of is WSM's and taking them INSIDE the motorhome which I would rather not do and I would have to rip out seats to fit them in but I could do it. ... maybe one of those "carriers" that mounts to the tow hitch ? I've never towed a trailer but maybe that's the solution .... so ... the main questions is "How to do it as a minimalist" ... with minimal gear...would appreciate all suggestions. thanks
FB/SGP

So far I've had 2 team mates so 3 guys no problem unloading smokers, ez ups, tables , etc. etc. but I am considering doing a comp with only my wife. We would take the Motorhome which is old and small and has minimal storage space ... can anyone give me suggestions on what cookers to try to take and how to transport them? The only thing I can think of is WSM's and taking them INSIDE the motorhome which I would rather not do and I would have to rip out seats to fit them in but I could do it. ... maybe one of those "carriers" that mounts to the tow hitch ? I've never towed a trailer but maybe that's the solution .... so ... the main questions is "How to do it as a minimalist" ... with minimal gear...would appreciate all suggestions. thanks
FB/SGP

with a hitch basket carrier you could probably fit 2 22 1/2 wsm on it or even possibly 2 Onyx ovens..with some timing thats all you probably need. I can cook 16pcs of chicken and 4 racks of spares on 1 Onyx , if I had a second Onyx 1 packer brisket and 2 butts would fit just fine.

I cook by myself 99% of the time. I go by the slogan "if it isn't being used pitch it". I started with 6 bins and now i am down to 4. You need to be efficient with your time and adjust your schedule and your cooking temps to make sure you can do it by yourself. It really isn't that hard.

I have a tiny (18') toy hauler. An FEC 100, Louisiana Tail Gator and UDS fit easy and there is no pack / unpack. Fits in standard 20' space. Climate controlled and 1/2 ton towable. Tough to imagine much easier for me. A box runner is a welcome luxury but not mandatory. It's a 2007 and I paid $7500.

I have been cooking alone since pretty much the beggining... I started out with an open trailer.. I had two stumps on it and packed and ezup, cooler, and folding table.. I started out small.. Figure out the basic items you need to cook with and start from there.. You can cook at contest alone if you have a good list and a time line. As for the cookers, get something that easy to maintain.. I started out with a Lang, had a backwoods, and now I own Stump's product and a DW kooker as well.. They all work well with gurus, stokers, and Ique 110.. I can get the sleep I need at night time... that is the key, getting the rest you need the night before the contest is the most important thing.. Keep it simple...

Go to home depot and get you one of them action packers totes and get one one large enough to put all of your tools, rubs and spices into it... That worked for me in the beginning and it allowed me to grow into adding more and by that time, I ended up with an Enclosed trailer that houses everything including the cooker.. So know all I do is hook up and go.. One man and one man only

I too am doing a comp this weekend - solo, it will be a challenge but will have fun.
My 9 year old son is going to be with me and he will be do some work for me though.
Taking 2 smokers on a trailer - 500 gallon and a 120 gallon smoker . Going to be busy...

Yeah, and a trailer acts as your pseudo motorhome. I am a habitual overpacker and am learning to pare down to the essentials for rubs, spices and tools. I am keeping my gear to two bins and a spice tub now. While everyone else looks professional with trailers and fancy setups, we look like we are camping. Too fun. A small enclosed trailer is the ticket.

I pull a small trailer behind an RV, and put everything on wheels. (smokers, shelves with gear, etc.) The smallest team I have cooked with is 2 people, but I can load and unload everything myself.

A single axle trailer is rated for 3,000 pounds, so almost anything can pull it.

I did Beltway BBQ Showdown this year by myself. I transported all my gear with a Chevy Avalanche. I cooked on two WSMs, a 22 and an 18, both Guru'd. Pork and ribs on the 22 and brisket and chicken on the 18. I think the key for going from multiple team members to one is not trying to reinvent the wheel.

2 WSM's with Guru's, everything premixed (seasonings, injections, marinades, etc), meat already trimmed. 1 canopy, 2 coolers, 2 tables, 1 cambro. A detailed timeline. Sandwiches for your meals. Work as little as possible and rest as much as possible. Remember you still have to have enough energy to drive home afterward too.

2 WSM's with Guru's, everything premixed (seasonings, injections, marinades, etc), meat already trimmed. 1 canopy, 2 coolers, 2 tables, 1 cambro. A detailed timeline. Sandwiches for your meals. Work as little as possible and rest as much as possible. Remember you still have to have enough energy to drive home afterward too.

this is right on. there is VERY little room for error all alone. i.e cracking open your brisket cryo to find a major gash through the flat or your chicken has spoiled, or your ribs have shiners..etc. etc.

and you want to conserve your mental energy so definately have EVERYTHING pre-made/mixed ready to go.

another key thing is go over your checklist TWICE. you can't just send a teammate out for a saucebrush...or dishsoap. ask me how i know.:roll:

good luck!

and yeah, be careful of that drive. you will be VERY VERY tired.

While we are a father and son team, I have done more than half alone this year since I double the amount of comps from the previous year. I agree with all of the above, but I will impress upon the "timeline" as a key to keep you thinking a few steps ahead. I have things hashed out almost every 1/2 hour. The only way to develop your timeline is to be conservative and keep making changes. I taylor my timeline for EVERY comp taking into consideration drive length, arriving late Thursday or early Friday and leaving after awards or staying until Sunday morning. Nothing worse than towing a trailer and getting sleepy. It just not worth the risk!

It's amazing how little has to be done when everything is trimmed before you get there!
Do your boxes Fri afternoon, then inject and rub on your own timeline. Then SLEEP! Good luck with that! After 50 some comps I still toss n turn worrying about everything.:crazy: Make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Thanks again everybody . Yes, I've been pretty much doing all prep , trimming, injections mixing / etc. at home and I have an extremely detailed timeline but the cookers / unloadiing etc. was my real concern. See you "out there" this season.
FB/SGP

I did my first solo contest a few weeks back, lt's alot of work. Prep/ trim everything ahead of time. I used an excel sheet and put my timeline of when everything needed attention. It helped a lot. I would suggest making your boxes the night b4 and cooler them (mist with water before coolering and pat with paper towel before meat goes in). I didn't do that and my boxes got too little attn the next morning.

Back