THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hammb

Full Fledged Farker
Ok I know this thread is worthless without pics, but I didn't get any since it was just a casual weeknight meal. I stopped at the butcher and got a pair of center cut chops cut about 1 1/4" thick. Since it is unseasonably warm, and I was roasting some acorn squash I figured I would fire up the stock burner and do the chops there instead of the kettle. Seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Started with a half chimney of lump and then a few splits of Apple and cherry to get a nice coal bed.

I let the smoke settle to thin blue and ran about 300-350* until they hit 130-140 internal. I then put a couple grates directly over my fire inside the firebox to sear them off and finish.

Holy hell, why have I never thought to do this before. Hands down the best pork chops I've ever had in my life. I'm sure this isn't news to others but it was a revelation to me and thought I'd share.

So was it the all wood fire that put them over the top? I find that makes a difference on nearly everything I cook.

So was it the all wood fire that put them over the top? I find that makes a difference on nearly everything I cook.

Yes, the sweet smoke flavor that came from the all wood fire was superb. I'm pretty much 100% lump when running charcoal, but still, the all wood smoke is always better (IMO).

I also think doing it on the offset, rather than starting indirect on the kettle, I was at a lower temp for the initial cook portion. I think bringing the chops up to temp slower made for more evenly cooked, tender chops than I get in the Kettle.

And, of course, the reverse sear method is beyond any doubt superior to the older "sear & finish" technique I used to always use.

Back