THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dward51

Full Fledged Farker
Y'all have to forgive me, but I'm like a kid on Christmas afternoon with a new toy. Today I figured lets try a pizza in the Copperhead 5 vertical pellet smoker. Now where did I put that pizza stone we don't use anymore....

Ok, first fired up the PB5 to 400* and after putting the stone in, let it heat for 20 minutes or so at 400*. The pizza is nothing special, just a Kroger deli "double pepperoni" the wife picked up on mark down that I tossed in the freezer when she bought it (I told you she was a mark down ninja!). I tossed a few extra pepperoni slices on just because and added extra cheese. Store pizza never seems to have enough cheese topping. Still using the Pit Boss hickory pellets I dumped in for the burn in and last 2 smokes (it was a 20 lb bag). I may dump out what's left tomorrow and weigh it to see how frugal the smoker is with pellets.

TUn9Tlth.jpg

ewdKgMWh.jpg

Yeah, I confess.... That's the foil "drip pan" from the wings. Tomorrow will be a proper cleaning as this is 3rd smoke and I really need to clean out the fire pot.

After 20'ish minutes, this is what I got. Looked pretty dang good to me. The taste was great, just a slight hint of smoke due to the high temps and short time.

7bUsULJh.jpg

I almost forgot to check the crust and take a photo. So forgive the test bite. Crust was done and had a nice texture on the stone. It's a fairly thin synthetic ceramic stone.

imemMvUh.jpg

After the pizza was done, I dropped the temp to 250 and tossed in 2 packages of chorizo the wife picked up (again on mark down for half price). After I cook them, I will pulse the links in the food processor to grind them. Then I take some and have them for breakfast. I usually put a little butter/oil in the pan, put in a healthy scoop of ground cooked chorizo and after a quick heat, the scrambled eggs are poured in to cook around the sausage. Makes a damn tasty breakfast! Sorry no photos of the sausage.

Nice! Looks like you are putting it through its paces. Only thing I would suggest is making sure the pellets are lumped in the middle of the hopper if you go to sleep on a long cook. Also, as I said in your other thread, make some jerky on this joker. You will be pleased. Keep these cooks coming!

Back